Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Quote Originally Posted by snaqvi91 View Post
    What evidence is there that the HTC 8X is the flagship signature leading device thing?
    How about, Microsoft came on stage with HTC to say it?
    jdhooghe and Jed Cutler like this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    The executives over at HTC sold their souls to the devil in exchange for obtaining the OTA update first. They sacraficed a goat and drank the blood of Dr. Dre.
    krystea likes this.

Global Posts
    2,567 Global Posts
    Hey the 8X people should feel pretty lucky, normally HTC's solution to firmware woes would be to release HTC 8X-II.

Global Posts
    657 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
    Hey the 8X people should feel pretty lucky, notmally HTC's solution to firmware woes would be to release HTC 8X-II.
    My wife's Titan II nods in agreement...
    Banned

Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    The HTC 8X+ will be released in four months.
    I am sure mods can do a better job, it's only Tuesday for Christ sake!

Global Posts
    2,567 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wamsille View Post
    The HTC 8X+ will be released in four months.
    yeah and then you can say goodbye to 8X firmware updates.
    socialcarpet likes this.

Steve Ballmer called the Windows Phone 8X the "Windows Signature phone" specifically. He has only referenced the Lumia 920 as a "flagship" phone from Nokia.

Quote Originally Posted by snaqvi91 View Post
    What evidence is there that the HTC 8X is the flagship signature leading device thing? It seems to me both the 8X and 920 got equal attention from Microsoft.

I can only hope it's because Nokia is trying to get the camera fix rolled into the update.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,767 Global Posts
    OP, why do you care? You don't even have a windows phone and have admitted you only come here to criticize.
    Resident Developer

I would say it's simply because Nokia have modified windows phone and therefore they're looking after their own version of the software. HTC uses the vanilla build with only minor firmware adjustments as far as I'm aware. Therefore it makes sense that after the vanilla update is ready you'll have to wait a little while for Nokia to produce their version :)
    Thanked by:
    Reflexx likes this.
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JayTBennett View Post
    I would say it's simply because Nokia have modified windows phone and therefore they're looking after their own version of the software. HTC uses the vanilla build with only minor firmware adjustments as far as I'm aware. Therefore it makes sense that after the vanilla update is ready you'll have to wait a little while for Nokia to produce their version :)
    What exactly does Nokia modify? I don't see anything other than pre-installed apps: drive, network+, feedback, maps, lense apps and sensitive touch app.

Global Posts
    2,858 Global Posts
    Does it really matter? Its not as though no other OEM will get the updates just because htc got them first.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    Resident Developer

Quote Originally Posted by Hiiiiiiiii View Post
    What exactly does Nokia modify? I don't see anything other than pre-installed apps: drive, network+, feedback, maps, lense apps and sensitive touch app.
    Well on the new Lumias they seem to have just taken out links to bing maps and modified the OS hooks to use Nokia maps instead where possible. Previous generations have done other more superficial things such as change the marketplace tile icon.
    Regardless, Nokia is the only OEM with such power under their licensing deal, and i suspect that windows phone 8 is when they're going to start exercising that clause of their agreement
    Resident Developer

If you haven't already, read Dan's perspective on this: http://www.wpcentral.com/windows-pho...t-us-expect-it much more in depth and some good points that my theory doesn't cover

Maybe Nokia is going to do a little bit more with their update like include a fix to the camera :)

Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Since so few people have the HTC 8X (compared to the Nokia 920), my guess is that Microsoft is using the 8X users as beta testers for their first ever OTA update. If that's the reason why my 920 hasn't gotten the update yet, then I'm absolutely fine with that.

Global Posts
    695 Global Posts
    I'd rather have the option to be a beta tester than get updates later on.
    Hiiiiiiiii likes this.
    Microsoft releases the OS to the OEMs. The OEMs adds their changes and fixes and does their testing. Then the OEMs releases it to the carriers. The carriers adds their changes and fixes, then it goes into lab for testing for a few weeks.

Maybe HTC released their changes and got them into AT&T lab before Nokia? Maybe AT&T rejected Nokia's changes during lab? There are many possibilities out there.

I'd be happy if AT&T does as little as possible with the firmwares. Who knows what they'd mess up and lock down if given the chance.

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Who knows maybe HTC has someone working on the inside... I am not worried... I hardly doubt we are going to be seeing a flood of updates anytime soon... Microsoft for whatever reason isn't pushing anything out as it is I am sure the phone software is manipulated by the OEMs and the Carriers... The OEM's probably like HTC have taken the update and tested it and decided to allow Microsoft to roll it out... The Carriers are not supposed to have anything to do with blocking updates from Microsoft unless am sure they have something to do with the Radio's or firmware... But this is just me guessing...

I'm guessing that both HTC and Nokia are adding some of their own firmware updates to the update.

As long as they both make their way to consumers in a reasonable amount of time, I'm not that concerned who is first.

I just hope that carriers don't end up making the process a huge hassle.
    Saying the 8x has less features than the Lumia 920 doesn't make any sense. My Camera on the Titan 2 had many more options than the Lumia 920, also HTC has attentive phone and beats audio. Honestly I think the only thing Nokia has over HTC is the exclusive Apps.
    Thanked by:
    Hiiiiiiiii likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkgift View Post
    they send the update in waves so servers don't get bogged, or worse, crash with everyone trying to download at the same time.
    Servers are one reason, but that pales in comparison to another which is much more important, although it will never get mentioned. Mobile network bandwidth. Simultaneously updating millions of devices OTA would bring down any of the carriers networks, at least in densely populated areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Byzantium View Post
    Also, I thought Microsoft was going around the carriers with Windows Phone 8?
    I really wonder why this myth can't be killed! It's BS.

OTA is simply a distribution method. It says nothing about whether or not Microsoft can distribute those updates without carrier involvement. As OTA updates are distributed over the carriers mobile networks, this is in fact the type of update carriers have the most control over (technically speaking). Microsoft has repeatedly stated they would like to distribute updates directly to device owners without carrier involvement, but so far they haven't stated anything suggesting that goal has been achieved. Carriers generally will refuse to relinquish any type of control, so until Microsoft does make such a statement, it is safe to assume carrier's still have a say.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael-Dallas View Post
    Then the OEMs releases it to the carriers. The carriers adds their changes and fixes
    For windows phone this is simply false.OEM's certainly configure their devices differently for each carrier, but carriers aren't involved in the development of those devices. Carriers certainly don't "add changes and fixes".

Quote Originally Posted by michail71 View Post
    I'd be happy if AT&T does as little as possible with the firmwares. Who knows what they'd mess up and lock down if given the chance.
    As stated above, AT&T never touches the devices firmware. OEM's may modify some configuration files on their behalf, but that is as far as it goes.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast