Why is the HTC 8X getting the first OTA update over the Lumia 920?

anon(1019781)

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Isn't Nokia in a close partnership with Microsoft?

Also, I thought Microsoft was going around the carriers with Windows Phone 8? I'm looking at the news stories about the OTA and people on AT&T say they don't have the update yet and that only international, unbranded handsets are getting it so far.

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
No. Microsoft is in line with Nokia and HTC. It's not Microsoft's fault Nokia is taking it's sweet time
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Gaichuke

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
OTA updates usually occur in phases and get pushed gradually to devices instead of being available for everyone immediately.

Why first on HTC 8X? Who knows. Maybe simply because there are way more few those devices out there than Lumia 920's so if the update brings some unforeseen problems, they piss less people off with that update.

anon(1019781)

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
OTA updates usually occur in phases and get pushed gradually to devices instead of being available for everyone immediately.

Why first on HTC 8X? Who knows. Maybe simply because there are way more few those devices out there than Lumia 920's so if the update brings some unforeseen problems, they piss less people off with that update.
That's actually a reasonable explanation.

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
That's actually a reasonable explanation.

I thought it was a naive and smug explanation. The most likely answer is that the HTC 8x has a more severe reboot issue than the 920 (thankfully not mine) so it has priority, and they send the update in waves so servers don't get bogged, or worse, crash with everyone trying to download at the same time.

Gaichuke

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
I thought it was a naive and smug explanation. The most likely answer is that the HTC 8x has a more severe reboot issue than the 920 (thankfully not mine) so it has priority, and they send the update in waves so servers don't get bogged, or worse, crash with everyone trying to download at the same time.

I did not meant to sound smug. I only know that with Symbian, Nokia always pushed OTA updates in phases where some countries got their updates before others and occasionally the updates were pulled back because of unexpected problems in the updates. Server load point was occasionally given as the reason for that, but so was the FW testing.

doublebullout

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Didn't the article on the home page already answer this? That the update is available first for unlocked 8X phones because there's no carrier testing required?

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I did not meant to sound smug. I only know that with Symbian, Nokia always pushed OTA updates in phases where some countries got their updates before others and occasionally the updates were pulled back because of unexpected problems in the updates. Server load point was occasionally given as the reason for that, but so was the FW testing.

Well, that makes more sense. The other way you put it came across as a Nokia fan putting down HTC phones. I apologize.

luk3ja

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
because Nokia has been stealing all the apps so we get the updates :) and incase you forgot lol, the HTC 8X is Microsofts official Windows Phone 8 phone, it's flagship device ;) haha

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
because Nokia has been stealing all the apps so we get the updates :) and incase you forgot lol, the HTC 8X is Microsofts official Windows Phone 8 phone, it's flagship device ;) haha

But seriously - as a 920 user, this is one of the things we enjoy smugly lording over 8X users :) Although the real test will be getting it through the carriers.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
So, if HTC gets the update first the are a test bed or a guinea pig, but if Nokia got it first then its ULTIMATE UBER SUPPORT FOR NOKIA......right.....I like the way people spin these things.

Nophix

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
The simple and most likely answer is that HTC was done with their part, Nokia isn't.
Sent from my PM23300 using Board Express

dabdoub81

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
If microsoft pushed the update to nokia users first, other companies like htc and samsung and their users would say tha microsoft is taking nokia side and gave nokia advantages, due to their agreement ... maybe :confused:

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
On the upside, if they can get this out quickly and it fixes a lot of the issues, this is very important to squash the issues. It still doesn't help with other complaints, but may stop people returning their devices for software items.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb