Wif stays on even after screen times out

aimulaidni

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone!

i have noticed that my wifi stays alive even after the screen times out on my lumia 920. I don't know if this is what people meant when they say that the wifi turns off when your screen times out on your windows phone 8 device, but guessing it is. Though sometimes I have noticed that it turns off but most of the times it is on, and I keep getting notifications of my emails as well.

nachez

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Hi there,

I guess there might be some app running in the background making permanent use of the WIFI connection. I noticed the same couple of days ago and that was also making the battery getting drained extremely fast.

anon(5399450)

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
This happens for me as well, although it is not 100% reliable. I have no idea exactly what app is causing it, but most of the notifications I'm getting is from Whatsapp and sometimes facebook... so that's my guess. Also my battery does not drain extremely fast (2 days with light/medium usage, 1 day medium/heavy usage).

abhishek8605

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
Was the phone plugged in and charging? I know for a fact that when the phone is plugged in Wifi is automatically on all the time. For me, my Wifi is on all the time when charging, and when not chargin it turns off like it's supposed to.

congusano

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone!

i have noticed that my wifi stays alive even after the screen times out on my lumia 920. I don't know if this is what people meant when they say that the wifi turns off when your screen times out on your windows phone 8 device, but guessing it is. Though sometimes I have noticed that it turns off but most of the times it is on, and I keep getting notifications of my emails as well.

How do you know your wifi is staying active after your screen times out?

aimulaidni

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Like I mentioned, i get notifications of my email, so i'm assuming it is getting them from the server even after the screen times out.

anon(5399450)

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Okay, so how do you know it does not sync through your cellular data connection?

When I'm at home, I always turn cellular data off and Wi-Fi on. I noticed that if you let the screen time-out run its course (default 1 minute), I believe that is how you can get your Wi-Fi connection to stay on even while the screen is off. I get regular notifications whenever I do this (from whatsapp and email etc.), also whenever I turn on the device, I see that the wifi is connected - right away on the lock screen. I have an L920.

Edit: someone else try and see if it works for you, report back in this thread too plz

aimulaidni

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
When I'm at home, I always turn cellular data off and Wi-Fi on. I noticed that if you let the screen time-out run its course (default 1 minute), I believe that is how you can get your Wi-Fi connection to stay on even while the screen is off. I get regular notifications whenever I do this (from whatsapp and email etc.), also whenever I turn on the device, I see that the wifi is connected - right away on the lock screen. I have an L920.

Edit: someone else try and see if it works for you, report back in this thread too plz

True, I noticed the same thing, though I initially thought it was because I maxed out the screen time out setting to 5 mins.

xcen

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The WiFi does go active for a while, but not all the time. I too, have WiFi active and cellular off. I noticed that if I leave my phone for a while, it will not receive email and FB message and Messenger message.

But if I leave it there long enough, like for a few hours while I sleep, the next morning when I wake up I do get email updates.

My email is set to immediate push btw.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99