Bad new design for screen & body assembly vs previous Lumias

rexii23

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Went to telstra shop to play with the L920 again and I was looking at the FFC to see if there is dust under there as some users have reported – no problem with the demo unit.

However, I've noticed that the screen is seated differently into the body than the L900, L800 and also the N9. The L920 has an extra trim/gasket/bezel around the screen and there is a very visible gap between this trim/gasket/bezel and the polycarbonate body. In the previous lumias and N9, the glass flows straight underneath the body with almost no gap.

Upon noticing this, I've tried to fit my finger nail to see the extent of this gap and my nail went in and I can see the polycarbonate bend outwards from the screen due to the pressure. I've then attempted to do the same with my N9 and wasn't able to do so at all. There is no way I can fit anything into the gap between screen and body.

I've had my N9 for 1 year now and there is hardly any dirt between screen and body due to this solid construction. Can anyone with a L920 comment on this? Is anyone seeing trapped dirt after a week or 2 of daily use? It's screaming bad design and dirt magnet to me! Does anyone know why nokia went with a different construction for the screen? It seem to be such a step backwards! I've noticed one thread on http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/206449-gaps-dust-sides-screen.html this but didn't have many replies.

I'm so keen to buy the L920 but still wishes to wait until quality-control improves hardware wise.

Last edited:

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Some things are vastly improved over the N9 though, designwise.

Iunno, though. Never tried that on my 920.

anon(5399450)

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm that it is very possible to have dust/debris/dirt trapped into these gaps, however this is something very minor and is by no means impossible to clean. Also it is definitely NOT a poor "quality-control" issue as it is not a defect of any kind - but more likely an inherent flaw in the design. So basically if this is a dealbreaker for you, you will probably never buy a L920 as it is unlikely for this to change.

jontay02

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Went to telstra shop to play with the L920 again and I was looking at the FFC to see if there is dust under there as some users have reported – no problem with the demo unit.

However, I've noticed that the screen is seated differently into the body than the L900, L800 and also the N9. The L920 has an extra trim/gasket/bezel around the screen and there is a very visible gap between this trim/gasket/bezel and the polycarbonate body. In the previous lumias and N9, the glass flows straight underneath the body with almost no gap.

Upon noticing this, I've tried to fit my finger nail to see the extent of this gap and my nail went in and I can see the polycarbonate bend outwards from the screen due to the pressure. I've then attempted to do the same with my N9 and wasn't able to do so at all. There is no way I can fit anything into the gap between screen and body.

I've had my N9 for 2 years now and there is hardly any dirt between screen and body due to this solid construction. Can anyone with a L920 comment on this? Is anyone seeing trapped dirt after a week or 2 of daily use? It's screaming bad design and dirt magnet to me! Does anyone know why nokia went with a different construction for the screen? It seem to be such a step backwards! I've noticed one thread on http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/206449-gaps-dust-sides-screen.html this but didn't have many replies.

I'm so keen to buy the L920 but still wishes to wait until quality-control improves hardware wise.

why did telstra use White as their demo model?????.ahah.. :unhappy:. its prolly a common build quality defect on 1st batch models. Try heading to harvey norman to see if their stock has the same problem. I've 2 black L920 that came in yesterday and have till next week to decide whether to take them or the 8x.

Polkka

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
why did telstra use White as their demo model?????.ahah.. :unhappy:. its prolly a common build quality defect on 1st batch models. Try heading to harvey norman to see if their stock has the same problem. I've 2 black L920 that came in yesterday and have till next week to decide whether to take them or the 8x.
Of course you take a nokia. Nokia music, city lens and maps. Htc is a lighter that's all... :amaze:

rexii23

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm that it is very possible to have dust/debris/dirt trapped into these gaps, however this is something very minor and is by no means impossible to clean. Also it is definitely NOT a poor "quality-control" issue as it is not a defect of any kind - but more likely an inherent flaw in the design. So basically if this is a dealbreaker for you, you will probably never buy a L920 as it is unlikely for this to change.

Sorry I didn't make myself clear, by quality-control issues I was actually referring to other hardware issues such as creaking, vibrator rattle, loose component rattle, dust in FFC and not this new design for screen & body construction. I am still concerned about this and would like to hear what everyone has to say on it. Yes I'm accepting that it is an inherent flaw in design, but it's not a dealbreaker.
why did telstra use White as their demo model?????.ahah.. . its prolly a common build quality defect on 1st batch models. Try heading to harvey norman to see if their stock has the same problem. I've 2 black L920 that came in yesterday and have till next week to decide whether to take them or the 8x.

I'm struggling to find anyone that has anything in stock or have demo units. Let me know what you think of the black L920 vs the telstra demo ones.

jfo7404

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I've seen the polycarbonate case separate slightly when separating from the microUSB cord but I've not been able to use my nails to replicate.

devize

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Just don't stick your fingernail in it then. ISSUE RESOLVED

I believe the issue is that dust can get into this gap, which I have noticed after a few days of use. It isn't a big deal but it would have been better if there were no gap there. I think it looks better without that extra bezel but I guess Nokia must have had their reasons.

redeyss

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I have this issue at the top of my phone. I can push the back of the body behind headphone jack while holding the screen near mic and get serious forward flex. Also there is a gap about big enough to wedge a fingernail in between that bezel and the poly.
I am concerned with dirt and dust entering the unit at that point as well and affecting long term reliability. I will be going to a corporate store to inspect a replacement for the same issue after the new year.
I came over from a prepaid service and am paying a premium for at&t so this phone wasn't "free" or "cheap". I expect a quality device that lasts, is that too much to ask, think not!

rexii23

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I have this issue at the top of my phone. I can push the back of the body behind headphone jack while holding the screen near mic and get serious forward flex. Also there is a gap about big enough to wedge a fingernail in between that bezel and the poly.
I am concerned with dirt and dust entering the unit at that point as well and affecting long term reliability. I will be going to a corporate store to inspect a replacement for the same issue after the new year.
I came over from a prepaid service and am paying a premium for at&t so this phone wasn't "free" or "cheap". I expect a quality device that lasts, is that too much to ask, think not!

My thoughts exactly, I'm concerned about dirt and dust affecting the unit in the long run too. The amount of flex is quite alarming. It's not too much to ask for a flagship!

I believe the issue is that dust can get into this gap, which I have noticed after a few days of use. It isn't a big deal but it would have been better if there were no gap there. I think it looks better without that extra bezel but I guess Nokia must have had their reasons.

Must be some strange reasons though. Interestingly that some in some high-res press shots I do not see this extra bezel/gasket. Was looking at a HTC 8X and even that has a seamless screen & body assembly. :unhappysweat:

mythra

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I just noticed dust under my screen after about a couple of weeks of use. I was thinking quality control issues but this post makes me think it is a design issue. I hope that's not the case since I really like this phone.

usstuscon12

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Get a piece of paper and insert the corners to run it through the gaps of the display and the bezel, along with the bezel and the case itself. Works great.

devize

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Is the gap between the display and the bezel noticeably larger around the middle part of the phone compared to the ends for everyone else? Mine has already collected quite a fair bit of dust in that gap.

I also don't like that there is a gap between the bezel and the polycarb case, seems a good way for dust to get into the internals and under the screen. One side of my phone has a noticeable gap between the bezel and I can fit my fingernails and pull the case away from the body whilst the other sides of the phone are glued to the case and there are no gaps. When I press on that side of the phone it makes a popping/creaking sound as I push the gap closed. I don't believe this should be normal, as it seems like my display is separating with the body. All other sides are completely glued together.I did not notice this when I first got the phone and there was no creaking/popping noises upon putting pressure on the case.

Here's what I mean. Zoom in at my fingers and you can see the large gap.

IMG_20121214_174807.jpg

I wished they'd gone with one of their earlier designs.

Last edited:

rexii23

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Is the gap between the display and the bezel noticeably larger around the middle part of the phone compared to the ends for everyone else? Mine has already collected quite a fair bit of dust in that gap.

I also don't like that there is a gap between the bezel and the polycarb case, seems a good way for dust to get into the internals and under the screen. One side of my phone has a noticeable gap between the bezel and I can fit my fingernails and pull the case away from the body whilst the other sides of the phone are glued to the case and there are no gaps. When I press on that side of the phone it makes a popping/creaking sound as I push the gap closed. I don't believe this should be normal, as it seems like my display is separating with the body. All other sides are completely glued together.I did not notice this when I first got the phone and there was no creaking/popping noises upon putting pressure on the case.

Here's what I mean. Zoom in at my fingers and you can see the large gap.

I wished they'd gone with one of their earlier designs.

I totally agree they should have went with the earlier designs. I'm waiting for a disassembly video to see exactly where the design of the 920 differ from the 800 & N9. looking at the video for L900 (which also has the extra bezel/gusket) there is a slight change in how the screen is attached to the body.

It also seems like the polycarbonate case is softer/more flexible than the N9. A number of people are reporting flexing in the case. I wonder if its a color related issue too, the 2 white ones both had this issue. I will try and check other demo units tomorrow (if they have it in stock).

steeleblue

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I have a red 920 that I picked up on the 11th. My phone doesn't have these gaps. The screen is very tightly set into the body. So not all are like this and I think the o es you are seeing are definately manufacturing defects.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3