Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. GSOgymrat's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    403 Posts
    Global Posts
    409 Global Posts
       #1  
    Has anyone used the Wallet app for NFC for store purchases? Are their any instructional videos or articles to clearly explain exactly how to set up this feature and use it? I would like to try it but I am apprehensive when it comes to my bank account.
  2. Gagman's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    37 Posts
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by GSOgymrat View Post
    Has anyone used the Wallet app for NFC for store purchases?
    I don't think it is possible.
    I'm using NFC payments with my Lumia 920
    https://www.ibre.com.pl/mt/fragments...in.jsp?lang=en

    It's prepaid Master Card signed by mBank with cooperation of Orange.
  3. churchwa's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    24 Posts
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    #3  
    It is down to carrier support and then giving us secure sims that work with Wallet. It will come, O2 in the UK have said it is to me on twitter. But it will take time.

    There is technically nothing stopping the phone doing purchases in store.
  4. CJ Thunder's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    607 Posts
    #4  
    Hopefully we get third party apps that can send my data over NFC. A pin on Wallet is secure enough considering my cc can be NFC scanned without one.

    A secure sim, pfffft.
  5. andrewkeith5's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    280 Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by churchwa View Post
    It is down to carrier support and then giving us secure sims that work with Wallet. It will come, O2 in the UK have said it is to me on twitter. But it will take time.

    There is technically nothing stopping the phone doing purchases in store.
    ^ This, understandably but annoyingly this feature relies on the carriers issuing Secure SIMs - in theory it should 'just work' if there's a secure SIM but no doubt there's some other unnecessary setup required on the part of the operator that'll mean nobody can use it (anyone remember Data Sense, Visual Voicemail?)
  6. andrewkeith5's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    280 Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ Thunder View Post
    Hopefully we get third party apps that can send my data over NFC. A pin on Wallet is secure enough considering my cc can be NFC scanned without one.

    A secure sim, pfffft.
    The reason a SecureSIM is required is so that there is a secure module where your card details can be stored, so if your phone is stolen nobody can access the data. Previously (including Android) manufacturers got around this by putting the secure module in the device, but this means that you lose the ease and assurance of the data being transferred to a new device when you move the SIM card
  7. Gagman's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    37 Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by churchwa View Post
    It is down to carrier support and then giving us secure sims that work with Wallet.
    You need:
    - smartphone with nfc
    - carrier for "sim card nfc"
    - bank for virtual prepaid/debit/credit card
    - someone (visa, Mastercard, etc.), for process payments between the banks of merchants and the card issuing banks
  8. CJ Thunder's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    607 Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewkeith5 View Post
    The reason a SecureSIM is required is so that there is a secure module where your card details can be stored, so if your phone is stolen nobody can access the data. Previously (including Android) manufacturers got around this by putting the secure module in the device, but this means that you lose the ease and assurance of the data being transferred to a new device when you move the SIM card
    I have remote wipe on WP, but...
    If I loose my phone it's the same as loosing my card or my wallet. I call my bank or cc company.

    Again my cc, even my debit is just scanned, then I sign or enter my pin. My phone can have a pin that is more secure than just signing, why should I need a secure sim?

    ATT in control is bs, needing a secure sim is bs. Red tape is slowing progress.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gagman View Post
    You need:
    - smartphone with nfc
    - carrier for "sim card nfc"
    - bank for virtual prepaid/debit/credit card
    - someone (visa, Mastercard, etc.), for process payments between the banks of merchants and the card issuing banks
    Anything with NFC can talk to an nfc card reader my phone could technically send card data.
  9. VisceralMonkey's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    115 Posts
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    #9  
    NFC seems like a neat technology that will never, ever be used for anything, at least here in the States.
  10. Jakoh's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    124 Posts
    #10  
    They should have put a secure module inside. Nexus 4 has it.
    Last edited by Jakoh; 12-18-2012 at 10:09 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Another way to unlock without using Chevron for HTC Titan?
    By BucDan in forum Software Development and Hacking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-12-2012, 01:05 AM
  2. Use WizTiles for making theses
    By Dave Blake in forum Themes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-31-2012, 06:36 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-24-2011, 08:02 AM
  4. Password for Marketplace purchases
    By jruprecht in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-17-2011, 01:15 PM
  5. No receipt for marketplace purchases?
    By kalldrexx in forum Windows Phone Apps
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-12-2011, 08:06 AM

Posting Permissions