We made some changes

Our new forums are here!

Saving money on data

Mint SIM is the perfect way to get cheap data in the U.S.

Don't count Windows Phone out just yet

Dead? Psh. Here are 5 reasons to stick with Windows 10 Mobile

VPN vs. Proxy

The difference between a proxy and a VPN

Latitude attitude

Dell Latitude 7280 is a business laptop with tons of consumer attitude

4K all the way

You probably don't NEED a 4K webcam, but we love Logitech's BRIO 4K anyway

Long live Windows phone

Contrary to popular belief, Windows phone won't die anytime soon

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 8 of 8
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By George Ponder
  • 1 Post By tebugg
  • 1 Post By tebugg
  1. Pete C's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    222 Posts
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    Anyone else notice this? After I edit a shot in Nokia Creative Studio, no matter how little, it just about doubles the size of the file. Any good reason for that? Makes no sense to me, as no photo straight off the phone is even close to as big as these edited files. At this rate I think I would rather not do this to every file as it will take up more space on SkyDrive and make navigating photos much slower when I want to show photos to someone over the cloud.
  2. George Ponder's Avatar
    Editor

    Posts
    512 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    I'm only seeing about a 60KB increase in image size when I add filters and only a 30KB increase when I adjust color balance and clarity. I imagine if you did a lot of editing it would increase the file size a bit more. Not sure about doubling but you will see a slight increase.

    Most of the edits in Creative Studio (or any other photo editing software) will increase the file size simply because they are adding to the image.
    Laura Knotek and Pete C like this.
  3. tebugg's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    363 Posts
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
    Anyone else notice this? After I edit a shot in Nokia Creative Studio, no matter how little, it just about doubles the size of the file. Any good reason for that? Makes no sense to me, as no photo straight off the phone is even close to as big as these edited files. At this rate I think I would rather not do this to every file as it will take up more space on SkyDrive and make navigating photos much slower when I want to show photos to someone over the cloud.
    i have noticed this also. size usually increases in an image when you increase the resolution of it or add more detail to it. so in the case of the clarity option in creative studio, if you increase the clarity you are adding information to the pic so it in turn increases the size of it. i actually love the clarity option in creative studio. i have not seen it double the original pic size, and thats with the pic being highest resolution. i just tried it again and i saved an original pic of 3.8mb and after increasing the clarity the pic is now 4.2mb. the more you slide the clarity bar the bigger the pic will be.
    Pete C likes this.
  4. Pete C's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    222 Posts
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #4  
    I move the clarity bar to halfway between the center and the right (so it's at about 75% of the full bar). Then I touch the vibrance up just the slightest bit to give a bit more warmth. That bumped the file size from 2.91 to 5.46 on one of mine. So, not double but close.
  5. tebugg's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    363 Posts
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
    I move the clarity bar to halfway between the center and the right (so it's at about 75% of the full bar). Then I touch the vibrance up just the slightest bit to give a bit more warmth. That bumped the file size from 2.91 to 5.46 on one of mine. So, not double but close.
    yes thats what i do with the clarity bar also. i normally don't mess with anything else. but the file size going up that much is normal. a lot of it also depends on how much detail is in the original pic. the clarity bar in creative studio really does the pic a lot of justice. it's almost like that's how the original pic should have been at the time of capture.
    Pete C likes this.
  6. Pete C's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    222 Posts
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by tebugg View Post
    yes thats what i do with the clarity bar also. i normally don't mess with anything else. but the file size going up that much is normal. a lot of it also depends on how much detail is in the original pic. the clarity bar in creative studio really does the pic a lot of justice. it's almost like that's how the original pic should have been at the time of capture.
    Yeah, the resulting image looks a lot better...more defined and with better contrast. This is definitely a nice app. I think they could perhaps add some numbers so you knew exactly how much you were adjusting the settings.
  7. congusano's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    381 Posts
    Global Posts
    382 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #7  
    Images are nothing but 0's and 1's. The more you edit, the more 0's and 1's there are. That means the image has more information.

    More information (editing) = more size.

    simple as that.
  8. Rickosw's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    170 Posts
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #8  
    Hi Guys,

    I do encounter this as well ...ie having the file size increase, up to 6MB..

    http://skydrive.live.com/#cid=F78534...E8E8C590%21305

    what i would like to check is the range of file size for the pictures that are taken by Nokia 920 using formats in 3352 x 2000 / 2448 x 3264.
    I'm getting average file size of 2-3MB ....

    Is that the normal picture file size or are you able to capture image files with higher MB ... just a curious thought.....
    Last edited by Rickosw; 01-12-2013 at 10:12 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. I want a 900 the size of the 800!!!
    By baseballbert in forum Nokia Lumia 900
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-15-2012, 11:08 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-04-2011, 04:29 PM
  3. Why I can't have all the features of mango
    By iqpreay in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-10-2011, 07:00 AM

Posting Permissions

";