Dissapointment with Lumia 920 after switching from iPhone with EE

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
The iPhone's cost about ?100 or so more than the Nokia 920 for a technically inferior phone. This is why Apple can provide good service, they have lots of stores and customers pay a large premium.

It doesn't matter how good the service is, if you don't like the product then have to accept the quality of service of the competitor.

Faults aren't always due to the phone maker, these packages get thrown around and kicked by couriers for fun.

If you don't mind paying ?120 more for the privilege. Nokia doesn't have enough product range to fill a shop. Apple has computers, tablets, phones, professional computers etc... The last thing an ailing company needs is to take on the huge risk of opening retail stores.

Nokia have enough products to have their own store, it doesn't have to be huge like Apple's but a retail presence is needed if they want to connect with the consumer. They havn't done it yet probably because they don't want to upset the carriers but I wouldn't be too surprised if they start at some point in the future.

fancyabrew

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
you could have threatened EE with the sale of goods act ,aphone "breaking" after 17 days wouldn't be of merchantable quality, kick up a BIG fuss in store and threaten them with the small claims court. But this isn't really a nokia issue its a EE issue, and you're not comparing apples with apples comparing Nokia to Apple. Nokia don?t have retail and it?s very easy to say they should but have you any idea what a massive under taking it would be to setup a retail part of their business. Your contract was with EE NOT Nokia, when you get an iPhone from Apple your contract is with Apple so this does make things a little easier.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
My comments about Nokia essentially ask the question of why they don't enforce a better level of service from the network providers? If there is an issue with the phone why does it take up to 4 weeks to resolve and how does that provide me with a good service. I'm spending a lot of money and expectations for a good service should be high. If its possible for Nokia to supply a replacement in a couple of days, why don't thy simply do that in any case, even if the phone has been sent in by the network provider.

Apple used to be a sales jugganaut with > 50% of sales of expensive smartphones. When in that sort of position, its really easy to bend the telcos over.

Nokia are a past king, who have moved to an unpopular OS, so have absolutely no power to bully Telcos around. Not only that, but their profit margins are a lot smaller than Apple's, part of the Apple tax, is paying for the improved customer service. Its like a car warrant, or car insurance, you never see the value, until something goes wrong.

Out of interest, what was the fault with the phone?

marratj

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I also had to replace my black 920, but was over the 14 days return period of Mobilcom Debitel here in Germany. So I opened a case with Nokia and shipped my phone to their repair partner. I shipped it on Tuesday and received a new replacement on Saturday of the same week.

Andrew Milne

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
3) EE and by extension T-Mobile who are now part of EE sucks bigtime! In the UK the 14 day return policy is something that is required under distance selling regulations. EE have not extended themselves to help their customers but merely forced to complying with regulation. They don't give a flying fox once you're in contract. As the OP stated, I would expect 28 days returns policy as 14 days is not enough for technical issues to surface. EE, you are not selling Mickey Mouse T-shirts to be returned in 14 days if the size don't fit. These phones and assoicated contracts run into hundreds of pounds over the lifetime of the contract!!

4) Nokia - You really do need your own retail stores, highly visible with reps & engineers who actualy know a thing or two about your phones. This could have been easily fixed if the engineers had known how to reflash the ROM. Factory resets should absolutely not "brick" your phones, this is totaly unacceptable. I would gladly pay a premium cover if I know I can walk into any Nokia branded store and have my phone sorted. And oh, by the way Nokia ditch the exclusivity make your phones available on all carriers.

I think paulm187 is completely on my wavelength here. EE have been completely shocking and I would certainly not recommend them to anyone. The 14 day policy is quite frankly disgusting as far as I'm concerned.

I haven't let it drop with EE. I called them on the 10th to complain and was told they couldnt do anything so I asked to speak to a manger. They won't put you through to a manager, instead they offer to call you back within 24 hours which I eventually accepted. 24 hours later and no call back so I phoned them again to complain. Again they wouldnt put me through to a manager and instead offered another call back within 24 hours, it turns out my first request wasnt logged. Absolute disgrace. 14 hours on and I'm still waiting, lets hope they do actually call be within 24 hours this time.

From Nokia's point of view I would love to see them succeed. I am genuinely excited about their range of phones and their capabilities but unless customers feed back problems they have had and where they can get a better customer service how will they ever improve?

fancyabrew, the problem I had was that the phone restarted itself and wouldnt get passed the Nokia screen when the phone boots. Sounds like I may have been able to resolve this issue myself if I had found the instructions on flashing the phone before I took it back, but then I shouldnt expect a phone I have had for 17 days to have a fault like that without being able to exchange it.

Moving the conversation on slightly, does anyone think that a 14 day return policy is fair? After having the phone for 17 days and the handset developing a fault is it right that I should then go potentially 4 weeks waiting for it to be repaired with no offer of a replacement handset or any compensation for a service I'm unable to use?

TheQualicSelf

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure whether they have a 14 day return policy is irrelevant, the product is faulty. The contract is with them, not the manufacturer. They are obligated to refund you.

The 14 day policy is probably just for people who decide they don't like the phone, I'm guessing incompetent instore staff. That's my opinion.

fancyabrew

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure whether they have a 14 day return policy is irrelevant, the product is faulty. The contract is with them, not the manufacturer. They are obligated to refund you.

The 14 day policy is probably just for people who decide they don't like the phone, I'm guessing incompetent instore staff. That's my opinion.

what he said!

The 14 day thing is, I have 14 days to return the phone if Idon't like it. What happened to you is different and you are protected by the law of the land ie sales of goods act. The phone isn?t merchantable quality so you are entitled to a remedy under the act i.e.your money back or a replacement, you really aren?t asking for too much. Might be worth mentioning trading standards in your next conversation with them.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Why won't mods want to change the title? It seems like OP is disappointed with Lumia 920 whereas he clearly is not happy with EE..

Also, shouldn't this be somewhere on EE forums instead of Lumia 920 forums??

gerbilly

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I think instead of nokia opening shops there should be more of a presence with Windows/Microsoft shops. I know there is a few, but here in the uk you would think a presence in London, Birmingham, Manchester, Glasgow and Edinburgh would be a good start.

Andrew Milne

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Why won't mods want to change the title? It seems like OP is disappointed with Lumia 920 whereas he clearly is not happy with EE..

Also, shouldn't this be somewhere on EE forums instead of Lumia 920 forums??

I still have a dissapointment with Lumia 920, lets not forget the device is infact faulty at the end of the day. I also find it dissapointing that I am unable to get the same levels of service buying a Nokia phone than I can get buying an iPhone. Whether thats a fault with Nokia or EE it still has to be a concern for Nokia to sort out if they want to retain customers.

rockstarzzz, this is the second comment you have posted within this thread, if you don't like the subject of conversation then perhaps you could stick to the other threads in the forum? No one is making you come in here to read the comments...

Andrew Milne

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I think instead of nokia opening shops there should be more of a presence with Windows/Microsoft shops. I know there is a few, but here in the uk you would think a presence in London, Birmingham, Manchester, Glasgow and Edinburgh would be a good start.

Yeah, I would go along with that too. I think MS would be reluctant to step on the toes of retail shops who distrubute their products for them but at the same time, if you can go directly to someone at MS with a problem, that has to be a good thing. Saves everyone pointing the finger of blame somewhere else.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
rockstarzzz, this is the second comment you have posted within this thread, if you don't like the subject of conversation then perhaps you could stick to the other threads in the forum? No one is making you come in here to read the comments...

Please keep counting my comments as you of course own the thread.
Yes the subject of the thread is misleading. However, I am not sure why you would want to dictate where I should post?

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
UK carriers are awful. I had Orange (also part of EE) sell me a new Symbian SE smartphone in 2003 that was broken OUT OF THE BOX. As in, in the store, they couldn't activate it because it wouldn't boot. The rep handed me the broken phone and explained that I would have to send it in to SE for repair, and that my contract started today.

I had an absolute conniption fit, went straight to the manager of the store, and got told that "in this country, we have policies." The manager actually pulled out their policy binder and showed me where it forbade them from replacing a broken device, and then started pulling a "you Americans always think you should just get your way."

In a store where I'd just signed for an expensive new phone and plan.

Obviously, I was unimpressed. So I raised my voice so that everyone in the store could hear me.

"Hi, EVERYONE! This store just signed me up for a new phone and new expensive service agreement, gave me a device right now that was broken out of the box, and then told me it was my problem. I suggest that you find another carrier!"

A couple of people walked out of the store (either due to my story or my tone of voice). The manager demanded I leave and threatened to have me arrested, at which point I invited him to call the police so that I could have them both arrested for their attempt to defraud me by selling me faulty merchandise. He paused.

Then I noted that County Court was just two blocks away, and that I'd be filing a suit and calling on them to testify about their behavior. "This dumb provincial American knows his English law," I said.

At which point he capitulated and gave me another working phone "as a concession."

Unreal. When my contract came up, I couldn't get away from Orange fast enough.

The best thing? All over their store were ear sculptures that said "Orange cares. We listen and we provide excellent customer service."

UK customer service in general is pretty poor compared to other places I've lived, but I can vouch for the awfulness that is Orange (EE).

ljkelley

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
EE = Easy Everything = The quasi merger of T-Mobile & Orange in the UK. When I was in the UK, I had Orange and there good points and bad points, but I found you really had to push your way to get any customer service.

As to the OP, You should have know, unfortunately, going into this that Nokia doesn't have the capabilities like Apple does. For one Apple can afford it. And yes they have built their company on customer service. They have been known to exchange phones for free that were obviously broken due to customer faults. But even with the best of Customer Service, I have seen customers get angry at Apple in my local store. It is definitely a consideration of Apple though, the ability to grieve your complaints in person.

Nokia use to have flagship stores, including London, but closed them down. I wouldn't use this experience though to not recommend Nokia. Nobody including Apple is perfect. I would perhaps warn people that repairs can take time and realize that this differs from carrier to carrier. I'm on T-Mobile USA right now, and its very normal for them to overnight a phone with return packaging for your phone. The negative is you get a refurbished phone, but then most Apple replacements are refurbished items as well. As such I would focus on EE, as if the trend is like anywhere else the majority of sales are Android and EE should have a program to replace phones quickly that are obviously not working.

That being said, I have an unlocked dev 920 and if it breaks I would have to deal with Nokia not T-Mobile, as such I'm keeping my 710 as a backup phone.

slashd0t

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I 100% agree with you.. If you ever have an iPhone go south, you will always have a replacement immediately.. IMO no one can compete with Apple's customer service ..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Folks, don't mistreat the OP. He is voicing a valid complaint with the Lumia 920: support. I just talked to a friend who switched to the Lumia 920 in Canada after buying the last 4 iPhones. His call quality is problematic, sounds like it might be a dud, and he is disappointed that he will have to mail the phone away instead of walking into the Apple store as he used to be able to do. Support is not the only factor in buying a phone, but it is a factor and for many people a serious one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3