Dissapointment with Lumia 920 after switching from iPhone with EE

Andrew Milne

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I had been with EE for 17 days and had to return my new mobile phone as it was faulty. They agreed in the shop that this a fault with the handset and not a fault of mine, but informed me they have a 14 days return policy. After those 14 days they will send the phone back to the manufacturer for repair which could take up to 4 weeks to come back. There is no mention of the 14 days return policy in the shop, on the contract or on their website. I feel this is completely unreasonable to take 4 weeks to replace my phone when I have only had it for a little over two weeks. When I asked if I would be compensated for the time I was without my 4G phone they said no, because it was a fault with the handset and not the service they are providing, even though I bought the handset from EE.

The frustraiting thing is, if I had decided to stick with an iPhone I could have taken it to one of their shops and if they were unable to fix it then and there, they would have replaced the handset with a new one. How can Nokia expect to compete with the level of service you can get from Apple when retail outlets are either unable or unwilling to offer anything even remotely close to this. Personally I think the service offered by EE is a disgrace as I am now paying ?46 a month for a service I am unable to use. If someone was to ask me my thoughts on the Lumia 920 I would love to be able to reccomend it over an iPhone but when things like this happen, Im not sure how I can.

So dissapointing :unhappy:

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Personally I think the service offered by EE is a disgrace as I am now paying ?46 a month for a service I am unable to use. If someone was to ask me my thoughts on the Lumia 920 I would love to be able to reccomend it over an iPhone but when things like this happen, Im not sure how I can.

So dissapointing :unhappy:

So EE has poor service, which makes the Lumia 920 is a terrible phone?

Seems legit.

Andrew Milne

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I never said the Nokia was a terrible phone, I said I really liked it, although to be fair 100% of Nokia Lumia's I've had have been faulty. My point is if there is a fault with an iPhone its easily replaced. If I have a fault with a Nokia I have to wait 4 weeks for a repair. Out of the two, which would you recommend?

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
You're not holding it correctly!

I don't get this ******'ish stance. FFS, it's not just about EE. I've purchased my factory unlocked 920 from clove. And I had bricked it yesterday. If I wasn't able to unbrick it, I'd have been in the same situation as the OP. Now you'd say clove has poor service. So maybe you can tell me a way to buy 920 where I'd receive great service?

This is wrong. Why is he a ****** just for offering advice? Does that make you an iPhone ******?

Call or Email Nokia Support directly to deal with warranty versus going through your carrier. In most cases I've seen Nokia overnights you a replacement.

This

Well after 3 weeks of running faultlessly my Lumia 920 bricked last night. I installed a self-signed certifcate and the only way to remove it in Windows Phone 8 is a factory reset.:shocked:. I have read about the dreaded bricked Lumia 920's after a factory reset but so far I have been lucky with my phones, so went ahead and factory reset. Well after hours of nothing but turning cogs, I rebooted the phone and ever since I only get the Nokia Logo. The phone won't boot or even charge the battery, its bricked! :grincry:

Called up T-Mobile and they won't swap it as I'm over 14 days and besides they don't have any Lumia 920's in stock. Called Nokia and it will take 14 days to get it fixed. Tried going to a EE store to see if they would swap it but no, and yet they were selling Lumia 920's to new customers. The phone is faulty - there is no question about it - very likely a software fault but a fault regardless, a factory reset should not brick your phone! :angry: This is where Apple's end-to-end customer service is head and shoulders above any other. Now I have a faulty phone which I can't use and will take another 2-4 weeks to get it fixed.

I can only speak for the UK, and my advice to anyone buying a Nokia Lumia 920 - buy it from a store and factory re-set right there and then to make sure you are not being handed a turkey. :unhappy:

Nokia will repair the device? At what cot to you? I'm wondering? If you have insurance through your carrier they work it right away at least AT&T does. I got my L800 repaired by Nokia a while back. I was quoted 2-4 weeks but I got it back in 4 days. I broke the screen it cost $120 to fix Nokia paid shipping

I went to the apple store to get my 4s replaces the power button quit working. After 2 1/2 hours waiting to talk to someone they told me I would get a replacement. Then the genius came back and told me whey didn't have any. I would have to wait 4-5 day for one to come in. I was told it would be a new in box device. The guy next to me at the counter bought one they had one from him. When I went back to pick up my device it was a referb. Apple isn't perfect either so don't kid yourself. Everyone wants to make money they will choose the paying customer over the warranty replacement every time.

Last edited:

Sinabu

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Call or Email Nokia Support directly to deal with warranty versus going through your carrier. In most cases I've seen Nokia overnights you a replacement.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I never said the Nokia was a terrible phone, I said I really liked it, although to be fair 100% of Nokia Lumia's I've had have been faulty. My point is if there is a fault with an iPhone its easily replaced. If I have a fault with a Nokia I have to wait 4 weeks for a repair. Out of the two, which would you recommend?

Nokia has 2% market share. Apple dominates the market. Nokia can barely even supply phones for customers to buy, I doubt they can "easily replace" they phone instantly.

Give them time.

luckylifo

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
So EE has poor service, which makes the Lumia 920 is a terrible phone?

Seems legit.

I don't get this ******'ish stance. FFS, it's not just about EE. I've purchased my factory unlocked 920 from clove. And I had bricked it yesterday. If I wasn't able to unbrick it, I'd have been in the same situation as the OP. Now you'd say clove has poor service. So maybe you can tell me a way to buy 920 where I'd receive great service?

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site

and this is different from iphone how? if you dont have apple care on iphone they will do the same thing. it takes weeks to get your phone back from apple. this is another rant thread that is just going to start a soandso phone is better than soandso thread. can this thread get closed please?

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
I don't know what EE is, but too bad it's not like Verizon. If I have a bad phone, under warranty, I call them up and get them to send a refurb replacement. I can always get it in two days and if I want to pay one day shipping, I can do that. And yes, title is misleading.

Digital Moe

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I think you guys are being a little unfair to the OP Apple does indeed have the best warrenty in the business handsdown. It has been a factor in why I was so unwilling to move away from a iPhone. I love my Lumia to bits but I know if it goes wrong it is not as simple as walking into a Apple Store and getting a replacement.

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Well after 3 weeks of running faultlessly my Lumia 920 bricked last night. I installed a self-signed certifcate and the only way to remove it in Windows Phone 8 is a factory reset.:shocked:. I have read about the dreaded bricked Lumia 920's after a factory reset but so far I have been lucky with my phones, so went ahead and factory reset. Well after hours of nothing but turning cogs, I rebooted the phone and ever since I only get the Nokia Logo. The phone won't boot or even charge the battery, its bricked! :grincry:

Called up T-Mobile and they won't swap it as I'm over 14 days and besides they don't have any Lumia 920's in stock. Called Nokia and it will take 14 days to get it fixed. Tried going to a EE store to see if they would swap it but no, and yet they were selling Lumia 920's to new customers. The phone is faulty - there is no question about it - very likely a software fault but a fault regardless, a factory reset should not brick your phone! :angry: This is where Apple's end-to-end customer service is head and shoulders above any other. Now I have a faulty phone which I can't use and will take another 2-4 weeks to get it fixed.

I can only speak for the UK, and my advice to anyone buying a Nokia Lumia 920 - buy it from a store and factory re-set right there and then to make sure you are not being handed a turkey. :unhappy:

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

I'd go without a phone for 4 weeks to avoid having to purchase an iPhone. I can't stand them or the company.

luckylifo

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
This is wrong. Why is he a ****** just for offering advice? Does that make you an iPhone ******?

How is dismissing a legit concern by blindly blaming the operator is "offering advice"?

That was the actual advice.

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
How is dismissing a legit concern by blindly blaming the operator is "offering advice"?

to me, his legit concern ended when he added to his concern that he couldnt recommend lumia over iphone. then goes on to tell us why his iphone replacement is better than nokia's. i can tell you a story about how i was 3 weeks without a phone because it took apple that long to replace my screen on my 3gs that had dead pixels. but what does that accomplish other than riling ppl up or trying to make one company seem better than another? would have seen more of a legit concern with his first paragraph only. 2nd paragraph is ifanboy.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
You people take exchanging of phones for granted.

Where I come from it is almost IMPOSSIBLE to get your phone replaced. If you happen to get it replaced, waiting time is about 2 months. MINIMUM.
Quit *****ing bout your first world problems.

My phone cant be replaced instantly so I can't recommend this phone.
Boo hoo.

Last edited:

Andrew Milne

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
My real problem is with EE, the phone network (sorry for not explaining that for those outside the UK) and their 14 day returns policy. I've had the phone for 17 days and I've been told it can take 28 days to have it repaired. I don't understand why it can take longer to repair than the length of time I have had a contract with them. To me that's insane. I think they should be able to swap the phone out for at least 28 days if a customer has a problem. The fact I have to continue to pay for a 4G service I can not use until I get my phone back is a kick in the teeth.

My comments about Nokia essentially ask the question of why they don't enforce a better level of service from the network providers? If there is an issue with the phone why does it take up to 4 weeks to resolve and how does that provide me with a good service. I'm spending a lot of money and expectations for a good service should be high. If its possible for Nokia to supply a replacement in a couple of days, why don't thy simply do that in any case, even if the phone has been sent in by the network provider.

You can call me an iPhone fan boy if you want (and if you want to resort to petty name calling), but it doesn't change the fact that I know plenty of people who have been able to walk into an apple shop and have their phone fixed on site, or replaced then and there. No one can deny that that is a better service. When purchasing a new phone that is a rather big factor to take into consideration and based on my experience its hard to recommend a Nokia over an iPhone simply because you can speak to someone face to face who can deal with your problem.

Why don't Nokia supply extra phones to network providers for this very problem? Why don't they open their own shops? Why don't they offer an extremely quick turn around? It's these things that matter to me as a customer and whether its a problem with the network provider or Nokia, it would put me, and plenty of other people off which is a real shame because the phone itself looks fantastic. Just a shame I can't use it!

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site

It sounds to me like he was just trying to help explain the actual probably. If you read the OP latest post you will see he was correct. If you will stop hating just to hate you might learn something.

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
So after speaking to Nokia directly and trying a couple of things the phone still wouldn't boot, even worse it wont charge and stuck at the logo. Nokia suggested that I take the phone to one of their repair centers which I did. The closest repair center at my place of work is the Oxford Street Carphone Warehouse. Unfortunately they want proof of purchase with the IMEI number on the invoice and all I had was a printout of my online invoice. The engineer said he'll have a look anyway and after couple of minutes came back and said the phone needs to be sent to their main repair center and will take 14 days! I was hoping they could do something right there like re-flashing the firmware. :confused:

Called up Nokia and complained and they escalated the call and said would actively search for any EE stores with Lumia 920's to give as a loan. I decided to try my luck anyway at three different EE stores and only one was willing to give a loan phone but not a Lumia. Interestingly there was a Nokia rep who tried to help me out but he wasn't an engineer and the phone by now has died completely. As this was my lunch hour and I was getting late I decided to head back to the office. When I got home I called T-Mobile and tried again to get a replacement but they wouldn't budge from their 14 day policy. I even threatened to leave but no show.:grincry:

Well, at this point I thought the only other alternative is to re-flash using the fantastic tutorial posted here by itxjobe. I hesitated at first because I would rather have a replacement or Nokia/T-mobile flash the phone for me with their "official" ROM. There was no sure way of knowing if this would work or invalidate my warranty and in the past I've had wierd issues if the ROM wasn't the right one. But at this point there was nothing to lose and decided to do it, afterall whats the worst that could happen, the phones dud anyway. The important thing was that I needed a working Lumia 920 before I go away for Christmas. If this gets me by then great! I can always send for repairs in the new year.:eck:

Well, amazingly it worked! :amaze: I flashed using the firmware version 1232.2110.1244.3011. It went without a hickup on my Windows 8 (x64) PC. I finally had a working phone. I also decided to tempt fate and do another factory reset and interestingly this time it worked. The issue sounds to me like a software issue with pre-loaded firmware but the hardware is sound. Thanks to the community I was able to get my phone back from the dead, something that T-Mobile or Nokia repair center (well actually they are not Nokia engineers but carphone warehouse Geek Squad - to be honest don't think they know squat about fixing anything) couldn't do.

My takeways from this experiance...

1) I always factory reset when I get new hardware (laptops, tablets, phones) but for some reason didn't do it with the Lumia 920. If I had done so this problem would have come to light earlier

2) If its really important to have a quick replacement always take out cover or have a backup phone handy.

3) EE and by extension T-Mobile who are now part of EE sucks bigtime! In the UK the 14 day return policy is something that is required under distance selling regulations. EE have not extended themselves to help their customers but merely forced to complying with regulation. They don't give a flying fox once you're in contract. As the OP stated, I would expect 28 days returns policy as 14 days is not enough for technical issues to surface. EE, you are not selling Mickey Mouse T-shirts to be returned in 14 days if the size don't fit. These phones and assoicated contracts run into hundreds of pounds over the lifetime of the contract!!

4) Nokia - You really do need your own retail stores, highly visible with reps & engineers who actualy know a thing or two about your phones. This could have been easily fixed if the engineers had known how to reflash the ROM. Factory resets should absolutely not "brick" your phones, this is totaly unacceptable. I would gladly pay a premium cover if I know I can walk into any Nokia branded store and have my phone sorted. And oh, by the way Nokia ditch the exclusivity make your phones available on all carriers.

Once again, thanks for the community I was able to get this sorted but for the average Joe this would have been a bitter experiance. When my contract is up I'm ditching EE subsidised phone and will buy SIM free.
:excited:

Last edited:

gilesjuk

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
The iPhone's cost about ?100 or so more than the Nokia 920 for a technically inferior phone. This is why Apple can provide good service, they have lots of stores and customers pay a large premium.

It doesn't matter how good the service is, if you don't like the product then have to accept the quality of service of the competitor.

Faults aren't always due to the phone maker, these packages get thrown around and kicked by couriers for fun.

Nokia - You really do need your own retail stores, highly visible with reps & engineers who actualy know a thing or two about your phones

If you don't mind paying ?120 more for the privilege. Nokia doesn't have enough product range to fill a shop. Apple has computers, tablets, phones, professional computers etc... The last thing an ailing company needs is to take on the huge risk of opening retail stores.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3