SIM card missing or invalid in 920

eezeekial

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I just traded someone a 360 for a Lumia 920 and figured I got the better of the deal. I took the phone home, took my SIM out of my GS3 and put it in my 920 and get the following message "The SIM card is missing or invalid". Its the same message with or without a SIM in it. Almost like it doesnt recognize that there is anything in the slot. Any ideas?

yodies

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Few questions:

1. Are you in US, Canada, Europe, or other?

2. Which cell provider gave you the SIM you have in your GS3?

eezeekial

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Did both resets. Went to the ATT store tried 2 different sims and another sim tray, no luck. Contacted Nokia, sending phone off today.

blackhawk526

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Same problem here! Put the sim in correctly, reset the phone and it still says sim error. "Sim is missing or invalid."
Even got a new sim and still got the same problem. Going to the AT&T store first thing tomorrow as I really don't want to go through the warranty support process.

Really love the hardware and OS so far, just ashamed I can't use it for what it was meant to do.

vdjan

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Seems to be a rather common issue with the new Lumia 920.
I also received my new phone, inserted the SIM and it wasn't detected.
I switched SIM cards with a colleague, my SIM worked fine on his Lumia 800, but his SIM failed as well on my Lumia 920.

Anyone knows if there is a solution for this? I'm already returning mine and ordered a new one, hopefully it will work this time.
:unhappysweat:

Squadromeo

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I've had exectly the same issue with an unlocked 920. Even bought a new (disposable) SIM card, just to make sure that it wasn't a problem with my provider. In the end I returned the phone under warrenty.

pewpewbangbang

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Literally first day with the Lumia 920 and sim card.....battery died and I needed a phone so I swapped it out for my iPhone 5. Used the iPhone 5 for a few hours then put the sim card back into the Lumia 920. Sim card is not recognized no matter how many times I restart, soft reset etc...I'm trying a hard reset/Complete phone reset that wipes the data right now.

Dimi Boy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
im in chicago and i got nokia 920 with the same issue no sim ...i dont know what to do about it im running out of options ...i spoko to 10 att 4 nokia representative and 2 tmobil ones and noone noone knows whats goin on

dermotw

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
When this happened to me it was, astonishingly (to me anyway), the sim which was faulty, even though it was brand new, as was the 920. Went and got a NEW sim from supplier and it was fine. Seems like micro sims are a bit more critical somehow.

Chickan117

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for that. I'd put the card in and then turned the phone on for the first time... must have been in a sleep mode or somthing though as I had to do a soft reset AFTER phone setup for it to work.

Naief Saleh

May 18, 2013
Visit site
STOP..its maybe asking you for the unlock code if its saying anything "remaining" if u enter the code wrong to many times youll permanently lock the phone... is it an att lumia 920? and what carrier are you using?

jackincaves

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Literally first day with the Lumia 920 and sim card.....battery died and I needed a phone so I swapped it out for my iPhone 5. Used the iPhone 5 for a few hours then put the sim card back into the Lumia 920. Sim card is not recognized no matter how many times I restart, soft reset etc...I'm trying a hard reset/Complete phone reset that wipes the data right now.

This is EXACTLY what has happened to me. Is there a solution? I really don't wanna have to keep using my iPhone (a first world problem for sure).

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I've had this problem as well, using a UK T-Mobile SIM I'd previously used in my iPad. I tried the Virgin SIM from my Lumia 620 and inserted the T-Mobile SIM in the 620 and both worked, but still the 920 would not recognise the T-Mobile SIM.

Finally I reinserted the T-Mobile SIM into my iPad, but it wouldn't work until I'd restarted it. After that I reinsterted the SIM into the 920 and restarted that. The Lumia showed a message about switching to GSM mode and now works normally again.

I'm wondering if the Lumia is trying to switch to LTE on its own or something.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett