Effective call blocking?

zombiegrrl86

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I have a few numbers I want to block on my Lumia, but I know that it doesn't have that built in feature. Is there any other way? I have an at&t premier account if it matters.

anon(5339110)

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
AT&T has a paid option to allow call blocking. Something like $5 a month. Pretty chickensh*t to charge for that, as I am sure it costs them nothing. Hopefully, Nokia implements this feature at the handset level..

zombiegrrl86

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Smart limits? I've been trying to add that feature but its no where to be found when I try to add features in premiere. Ill give them a call later. I also know that it doesn't work with the iPhone, will it work with the Lumia?

anon(5339110)

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Smart limits? I've been trying to add that feature but its no where to be found when I try to add features in premiere. Ill give them a call later. I also know that it doesn't work with the iPhone, will it work with the Lumia?
I don't know what they call it. They indicated it would work with the Lumia, but I balked at the added charge, so no first-hand experience. What I did do as a workaround, is download a "silence" ringtone that my spam calls get saved with. Not perfect, but better than nothing...

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
If you aren't able to get the paid call blocking from AT&T, you can try what I do for specific numbers to block:

Get a YouMail account and set it up as your primary voicemail (love this service! It's free... they do have a couple premium versions if you'd like).

Add the numbers to be blocked to the service as contacts, and then activate "Call Ditching" on them under the Call blocking category. By default, everytime the contact calls they will hear the "doo doo doo... this number has been disconnected or is no longer in service" message that sounds legit, and they won't be able to leave a message, it will just hang up. You can also change it to a custom message either recorded by you or a number of downloadable messages (i.e. there's one that mimics the "rejection hotline" number, so that's pretty humorous... as well as ones that might swear at the caller).

As for your windows phone... just set their ringtone to completely silent and when they hit the voicemail it will take care of the rest. In your YouMail inbox, there's a category to view the list of ditched calls, so you know when they've hit the message, and that log always stays there if you wish :)

zombiegrrl86

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
So I just called att and smart limits is NOT available to business accounts (which is what I have). Just thought I'd post that so other people would know :)

anon(5339110)

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
If you aren't able to get the paid call blocking from AT&T, you can try what I do for specific numbers to block:

Get a YouMail account and set it up as your primary voicemail (love this service! It's free... they do have a couple premium versions if you'd like).

Add the numbers to be blocked to the service as contacts, and then activate "Call Ditching" on them under the Call blocking category. By default, everytime the contact calls they will hear the "doo doo doo... this number has been disconnected or is no longer in service" message that sounds legit, and they won't be able to leave a message, it will just hang up. You can also change it to a custom message either recorded by you or a number of downloadable messages (i.e. there's one that mimics the "rejection hotline" number, so that's pretty humorous... as well as ones that might swear at the caller).

As for your windows phone... just set their ringtone to completely silent and when they hit the voicemail it will take care of the rest. In your YouMail inbox, there's a category to view the list of ditched calls, so you know when they've hit the message, and that log always stays there if you wish :)

I'm now trying YouMail along with the MagikMail app. So far so good. Seems like this might be a winning combo. Thanks for the tip :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss