Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. Dlsimon's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5 Posts
       #1  
    Just came from an old android, and decided to give the MS Phone a try. I picked up a Nokia 920 last night after reading great things about it, and I preferred all of the features it had over the 8X.

    Everything about the phone is great except for 2 things...

    a) While a bit large & heavier than my old 4" android (samsung captivate), I think I can live with the 920 in terms of size. However, the top & bottom edges are not rounded; the bottom corner digs into my hand when I try to hold it with one hand (which is most of the time). I like how HTC rounded all the 8X edges. Has anyone found a good thin soft bumper case that rounds the corners and takes off the 'edge'. The Nillkin cases looked cool except they don't solve my problem of covering up the corner edges. I don't want a massive otterbox-type case that adds more heft and size - just something to soften the edges and give it a small lip on the front when I need to set the phone on its front.

    b) The audio jack produces a crackle-type sound when I plug my old-school cassette adapter for listening in my car. My previous android (and other phones prior) didn't have this issue. I don't have bluetooth in my car, so this is my best/only option for listening to audio - anyone else have issues in this area?

    Basically, I want to avoid returning this to get an 8X (the 8X is $100 more, plus the $35 restocking fee, plus has fewer features), but I want to enjoy holding my phone when I use it. Help?
  2. loco4burritos's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    32 Posts
    #2  
    cassette adapter?!?! does not compute...
  3. Jastow's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    103 Posts
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    #3  
    He doesn't have an Audi input on his car stereo, so has to use a cassette adaptor to play audio from external sources.
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
  4. bigkevbosky's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    497 Posts
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlsimon View Post
    b) The audio jack produces a crackle-type sound when I plug my old-school cassette adapter for listening in my car. My previous android (and other phones prior) didn't have this issue. I don't have bluetooth in my car, so this is my best/only option for listening to audio - anyone else have issues in this area?
    Amazon.com: GOgroove FlexSMART X2 ADVANCED Wireless In-Car Bluetooth FM Transmitter with Charging, Music Control and Hands-Free Calling for ANDROID, iPhone, Blackberry and Windows Smartphones: Car Electronics

    This is the best money I've ever spent on a product from Amazon, hands down. My Jeep has no aux input, no cassette adapter, and no way to connect to my 920 unless I went with a crappy FM transmitter. The FlexSmart does go over FM airwaves (although you could plug your cassette adapter into it directly - it has an audio jack), but its crystal clear and works great. The 920 connects to the FlexSmart with Bluetooth, and that's it - no wires holding you down, plus you get a way to charge the 920 while on the road.

    As a bonus, you could angle the FlexSmart so you could use it to change music tracks and take phone calls and such. Never need to have your 920 leave your pocket.
  5. kclub's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    42 Posts
    #5  
    a) I bought my case on ebay for around 5 bucks, works fine for me. By the way, I think I saw the same case on amazon for 3 bucks, but I am not so sure.


    b) I am using old-school cassette adapter on my car as well, I am using it on with my ipod. Never makes the crackle sound before until I placed my 920 in the little space under the cassette tape player. So try to have your 920 away from the tape player, see if this works.
  6. Dlsimon's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5 Posts
       #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigkevbosky View Post
    Amazon.com: GOgroove FlexSMART X2 ADVANCED Wireless In-Car Bluetooth FM Transmitter with Charging, Music Control and Hands-Free Calling for ANDROID, iPhone, Blackberry and Windows Smartphones: Car Electronics

    This is the best money I've ever spent on a product from Amazon, hands down. My Jeep has no aux input, no cassette adapter, and no way to connect to my 920 unless I went with a crappy FM transmitter. The FlexSmart does go over FM airwaves (although you could plug your cassette adapter into it directly - it has an audio jack), but its crystal clear and works great. The 920 connects to the FlexSmart with Bluetooth, and that's it - no wires holding you down, plus you get a way to charge the 920 while on the road.
    Interesting - I'll have to check that out. Nice features on that device. We've tried a few other FM transmitters in the past with my wife's iphone and her car and never found one that produced audio that was very loud. Everything would be rather quiet coming out of the stereo. Eventually had an installer put in an iphone cable to the back of the stereo. But to be clear, you don't have any issues with sound volume coming from that thing?

    If anyone's curious, my car is a 10 year old Subaru Legacy. Subaru included a dual cassette/cd stereo with this car. While I initially laughed at the cassette part when I bought it, it turned out to be audio portion I use the most today, since I didn't have another good way of hooking up my smartphone (no regular AUX stereo port is included with this unit).

    kclub - yeah, something like your case would probably work. Something basic that gives the back some rubbery grip, a lip for the front, and the edges are covered. I'll have to look out for that style on amazon (or even ebay).
  7. Jastow's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    103 Posts
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    #7  
    http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=93304987640. This is the one I bought and for about 10ish dollars you get: gel skin, home/car charger, and screen protector. You can get it in other colors from this vendor.
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
  8. kclub's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    42 Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlsimon View Post
    Interesting - I'll have to check that out. Nice features on that device. We've tried a few other FM transmitters in the past with my wife's iphone and her car and never found one that produced audio that was very loud. Everything would be rather quiet coming out of the stereo. Eventually had an installer put in an iphone cable to the back of the stereo. But to be clear, you don't have any issues with sound volume coming from that thing?

    If anyone's curious, my car is a 10 year old Subaru Legacy. Subaru included a dual cassette/cd stereo with this car. While I initially laughed at the cassette part when I bought it, it turned out to be audio portion I use the most today, since I didn't have another good way of hooking up my smartphone (no regular AUX stereo port is included with this unit).

    kclub - yeah, something like your case would probably work. Something basic that gives the back some rubbery grip, a lip for the front, and the edges are covered. I'll have to look out for that style on amazon (or even ebay).
    Red Silicone Soft Gel Skin Case Cover for at T Nokia Lumia 920 Phone Accessory | eBay
    This is what I got, but I think I didn't get the best deal :(
  9. jdhooghe's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    526 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,287 Global Posts
    #9  
    Cases or covers for Lumia 920

    Look at my post. The case is really well made...wish it was thinner but oh well.
  10. Jastow's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    103 Posts
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    #10  
    The one I posted adds 1mm thickness at most, is simple and functional; I like it a lot, but I also like the bumper (seemed most didn't) on the Iphone 4 for its simplicity, minimalistic design and functionality.
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
  11. bigkevbosky's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    497 Posts
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlsimon View Post
    Interesting - I'll have to check that out. Nice features on that device. We've tried a few other FM transmitters in the past with my wife's iphone and her car and never found one that produced audio that was very loud. Everything would be rather quiet coming out of the stereo. Eventually had an installer put in an iphone cable to the back of the stereo. But to be clear, you don't have any issues with sound volume coming from that thing?
    Well, the best thing to do is connect to the bluetooth, and max the phone volume out at 30/30. Then you can add additional loudness because the FlexSmart has a volume control on it, not to mention however loud you want your car stereo to be.

    Never had a problem with volume, just make sure your phone is 30/30 or else it can sound distorted. The good thing is, WP8 doesn't keep your volume at 30/30 when using bluetooth, once you disconnect it'll put the volume back at whatever you had it at before you used bluetooth.
  12. Fuzzy John's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    174 Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigkevbosky View Post
    Amazon.com: GOgroove FlexSMART X2 ADVANCED Wireless In-Car Bluetooth FM Transmitter with Charging, Music Control and Hands-Free Calling for ANDROID, iPhone, Blackberry and Windows Smartphones: Car Electronics

    The 920 connects to the FlexSmart with Bluetooth, and that's it - no wires holding you down, plus you get a way to charge the 920 while on the road.
    So you do have wires holding you down.

    As a bonus, you could angle the FlexSmart so you could use it to change music tracks and take phone calls and such. Never need to have your 920 leave your pocket.
    Unless you have the wires involved.
  13. Dlsimon's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5 Posts
       #13  
    To update this thread (if anyone cares), I ended up taking the 920 back and getting the 820 instead. I wasn't a big fan of downgrading, but I really liked the shape/size of the 820 more. I'll miss the nice screen of the 920, but in the end I need something comfortable to use.
  14. VisceralMonkey's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    115 Posts
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlsimon View Post
    To update this thread (if anyone cares), I ended up taking the 920 back and getting the 820 instead. I wasn't a big fan of downgrading, but I really liked the shape/size of the 820 more. I'll miss the nice screen of the 920, but in the end I need something comfortable to use.
    I read posts like this and wonder if the human race is undergoing some weird evolutionary process that is changing some of us into small elf people with tiny doll hands and no muscles.

    "However, the top & bottom edges are not rounded; the bottom corner digs into my hand when I try to hold it with one hand."
    I don't even know what the say to this. Your hands must be made of cheese cloth.
  15. Dlsimon's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5 Posts
       #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Visceral Monkey View Post
    I read posts like this and wonder if the human race is undergoing some weird evolutionary process that is changing some of us into small elf people with tiny doll hands and no muscles.
    ...
    I don't even know what the say to this. Your hands must be made of cheese cloth.
    I'm coming from a 4" android phone which I had been using for the past 2 years. Prior to that, the iPhone 3G which was even smaller. I'm used to doing most of my navigating with one hand in portrait mode, and the larger screens of the newer phones are just a touch too large to cover the entire screen with my thumb without constantly adjusting the phone during usage. I know it's hard to comprehend people having different requirements of a phone that yours, but not everyone wants the biggest phone possible.

    As for the bottom/top edges of the 920, Nokia really should have rounded off the edges like most every other phone on the market. It's not hard to grasp that a rounded edge in your palm is more comfortable that a hard flat edge.
  16. irvin792's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,124 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,244 Global Posts
    #16  
    The next innovation for Gillette , the hard plastic edge shaver! Lmao
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlsimon View Post
    b) The audio jack produces a crackle-type sound when I plug my old-school cassette adapter for listening in my car. My previous android (and other phones prior) didn't have this issue. I don't have bluetooth in my car, so this is my best/only option for listening to audio - anyone else have issues in this area?
    Have you tried regular earphones/headphones? I use a cassette adapter in my car as well, but I have no crackling sound. Try out some other audio accessories to make sure it's not the headphone jack itself that's bad.

    Oh, and you might go look for Worldshopping Lumia 920 Cases on Amazon.com. They come as hard plastic or soft gel cases. I personally ordered a blue gel on a couple of days ago (I love my phone, but playing Gun Bros. is a bit tough with such a slick back of the phone), but they come in many different colors.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-03-2012, 10:50 PM
  2. When is the launch release of the Nokia Lumia 920?
    By YossMan in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-11-2012, 11:05 AM
  3. Wow the London launch of the Lumia pooped all over the NYC one
    By socialcarpet in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-10-2012, 06:06 PM
  4. The Verge review of the Lumia 900
    By Seketh in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 04-07-2012, 05:27 AM
  5. Will Sprint be the 1st retailer of the Titan?
    By avaryj in forum HTC TITAN
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-28-2011, 10:45 AM

Posting Permissions