AT&T L920 owners with Manufacturer defects.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
My story:

I have the dreaded dust under the screen around the Front facing camera under the glass. It took a few weeks for the dust to become noticeable to be honest I don't use the FFC all that much. I walked into the AT&T store with my L920 I told the Customer Service Professional my issue. He took me to the counter, entered all my information in to the computer. He then informed me that I was past the 14 day cutoff for in store replacement.

Quick break for a reminder. These CS Professionals are people treat them that way they don't make the rules. Be nice if you do that and act in a nice way people will help you. If you act like an ass people will treat you like one.

I was unaware for the new rules so I told the CSP to let me have it what do I need to do. Incase you didn't know if you are past your 14 days with your new device you have to take the device to the closest AT&T repair center where they will decide what needs to be done. (Warranty replacement or user damage) The CSP told me to take it to the repair center and that I would have to call 611 to get the address to the closest location. After reading a few posts in here I decided I would just contact Nokia care give them a chance to help me. They were very nice the Nokia CSP sent me an email with instructions on how to return my L920 during the conversation she said that the dust is a known issue and that is was odd that AT&T didn't warranty the device. I really don't want to be without my device for 6 to 10 days this is what the Nokia CSP told me it would take to get the device repaired.

All of this got me to thinking so I called 611. I told the CSP my issue she told me she was sorry to hear about my issue and would get me the address and phone number to the nearest repair center. She then told me she would get me the number to the warranty department. (Remember be nice) She then told me she was so sorry for my issue that she would give me a $50 credit towards my bill for my troubles. She did all this via text message sending me all the information I needed and then sent me a text with the totals of my account credit of $58.70 including taxes.

Now this is where it gets interesting. I was about 10 miles away from the repair center and it is in the opposite direction for my home. I called the repair center to find out what time they closed. I explained the issue to the CSP that answered the phone he told me that's a known issue and that I could just call the warranty department and have them send a replacement. He also told me that even if I did bring it in he wont be able to fix and have to order one. I called the Warranty Department the CSP I spoke to was skeptical right off the bat. (Be nice) I explained the situation I gave her the number to the repair center so she could talk to them. She was able to verify everything with the repair center and she even called Nokia. My new L920 shipped today.

If you are having warranty issues and you are past your 14 days you might need to visit a repair center. A few phone calls might save you a trip.

The number to AT&T Warranty Department is (800) 801-1101

Last edited:

gbbg

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: AT&T L920 owners with Manuacturer defects.

I was just told by the CSR that dust under the screen or camera indicates physical damage and hence not covered under warranty by AT&T. Was told to contact Nokia directly.
First step accomplished. I also have the vibration rattle.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Both the vibration & dust have occurred on 10 different 920s that I have owned. AT&T even sent me an additional 920 free of charge (apart from my warranty replacements) and it does the same thing. I'm not going to continue switching my device.

usstuscon12

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

My Lumia 920 gets dust underneath the front facing camera as well. I just use a can of compressed air and spray it into the earpiece and the surrounding bezel and it works everytime. The earpiece gets dusty anyways, so the compressed air clears the dust in the earpiece and inside the front facing camera. Once I've seen the teardown of the device, I'll probably just open it myself and put some sort of gasket to seal it from any external influences.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
My Lumia 920 gets dust underneath the front facing camera as well. I just use a can of compressed air and spray it into the earpiece and the surrounding bezel and it works everytime. The earpiece gets dusty anyways, so the compressed air clears the dust in the earpiece and inside the front facing camera. Once I've seen the teardown of the device, I'll probably just open it myself and put some sort of gasket to seal it from any external influences.

Does the can of air really clean it all out? I've been meaning to try this. You just used a regular keyboard can with the extended tip?

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site

If the Warranty Department won't help you with your issue just take your device to the repair central those guys over rule the warranty reps.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site

Again, I'm almost positive this dust issue is across the board, & others are just experiencing it worse

A couple of my friends who 920s one has the issues the other does not. If you look at the top of your drive above the ffc and you see a little cut out missing the size of a small flat blade screw driver then you might have this issue. The issues is not the point of this thread. I want people to know there is a way to contact the warranty department if you have an manufacturing defect

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

A couple of my friends who 920s one has the issues the other does not. If you look at the top of your drive above the ffc and you see a little cut out missing the size of a small flat blade screw driver then you might have this issue. The issues is not the point of this thread. I want people to know there is a way to contact the warranty department if you have an manufacturing defect

I don't have anything like that but have dust in the FFC. I just assumed it was migrating from the ear speaker.

But back on topic, yes contacting Nokia or the warranty people directly does seem to work better. Most of the store reps are just there to sell. I suppose they have some sort of metrics to keep up on.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

Without getting too political and whipping out my soapbox to any sort of social commentary on how our society has this sense of entitlement that never works out for the best for all parties involved, I just want to say that I agree with the OP's series of actions taken to address the issues he had with his device. Companies today are very departmentalized and as a result focus on specific pieces of the business. Store reps offer light customer service but their primary goal is to sell. Customer Service has the ability to sign you up on new plans, ship phones but their primary purpose is to provide support to users.

Focusing on their strengths and intended job responsiblities while doing what you can to be a flippin' person is going to get you further. Demanding things on the spot will get you the cold shoulder and endless back and forth transfers between phone calls and physical locations. Now, I have heard bad stories about AT&T in the past but I can honestly say that my experience with them has been good thus far minus a few retail interactions that showed how desperate they are for a sale.

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site

i'd like to point out that Dave doesn't use the built in spell check with his misspell of manufacturer in the title. just kidding Dave. :grin:

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
My current 920 is the best one I've owned, & it has the gap, gets dust, I've had 9 others, all with different or no gaps, all got dust. My girlfriend's white one has no gap, but has dust. The ones i owned with NO gap all clicked & popped

ilifecomputer

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
My third and final (because eff this) just started getting dust in camera. The other two went back for same reason. Can't wait to ditch Nokia for good. If it wasn't for wp8 and the fact that HTC makes garbage as well, I'd go back to a well manufactured phone. Surface phone please....

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site

i'd like to point out that Dave doesn't use the built in spell check with his misspell of manufacturer in the title. just kidding Dave. :grin:

I don't know what you are talking about... lol

gladesmellzgood

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Luckily AT&T is willing to replace my device but of course the Matte Cyan is backordered! They asked if I wanted another color if they had it but I have my heart set on keeping my cyan! Lets see when this thing is finally back in stock.

marveldave

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Luckily AT&T is willing to replace my device but of course the Matte Cyan is backordered! They asked if I wanted another color if they had it but I have my heart set on keeping my cyan! Lets see when this thing is finally back in stock.

You may want to call them again (I assume you are doing it through warranty replacement). I called them (warranty dept) today and they have Cyan in stock.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3