- 12-13-2012, 10:21 PM #1
It has been a little less than a week since I bought my new Nokia 920 USA. Overall it has been a great phone. It seems like a lot of people were put off by the size and weight of the phone. But, I actually really like it since it makes it feel like a real piece of equipment. However, there are things that make me shake my head at times. My biggest I-Wish-I-Could-Do-Something-About-It moments:
1. With the Microsoft Music Player and with Nokia Music Player apps, my Korean artists and songs come out broken. I am able to send and receive texts in Korean, but it seems like the apps themselves cannot read the Asian font. Is there a way to fix this? Should I try syncing the songs through Zune instead of the WP app that they prompt you to download when first syncing the 920 to the PC?
2. There is no separate phone volume and media volume system like the one found in Androids. So this also makes listening to music a bit of a hassle.
3. No toggling for auto-rotate!!! How is this possible?
4. Why are there pre-defined live tile size settings? Why can't I just drag and drop the corners to customize the size to my liking?
Of course, the other little complaints that people seem to have with the phone also hold.
Is there any advice for the problems I am facing? Especially number 1?
Thanks in advance guys.
So I just tried syncing the phone music through Zune. Turns out Zune is unable to even see that the phone is connected as a device to the PC?
Last edited by krnmandoo; 12-13-2012 at 10:54 PM.
12-13-2012, 10:30 PM #2
- 61 Posts
No advice for number 1 from me, but I can say that 2 and 3 will likely be added sooner rather than later. They're not that difficult to implement and plenty of people are asking for them. For number 4, I'm very glad you can't custom resize. I think it'd be a nightmare to have to deal with all sorts of crazy sizes from an organization standpoint, and also, developers wouldn't stand a chance at trying to implement their live tile information without error if there weren't preset sizes. The latter is the major reason why.
Best of luck on #1 though and here's to hoping for #2 and #3 to get fixed soon.
12-13-2012, 10:31 PM #3
- 1,045 Posts
I agree with 1 & 2 but not 3 & 4
For #1., most of my Chinese songs show up, but there's two that's broken too. I would say try with Zune because it used to be all fine with Zune. Hopefully they will fix the app soon.
However, I think this problem is even worse on Android. My Asus Transformer Prime tablet can't read most of my Chinese songs, I had to download apps that can fix the ID3 tags to make them normal.
#3 depends on which app you're on. The phone mostly auto-rotate with some apps you can choose to lock orientation. Homescreen and lockscreen are not rotatable at the moment.
#4 I think these tile sizes are great and enough customization. The cool thing about the Metro UI is its simplicity and it just looks nicer on the eyes. I'm not saying you can't make it look nice with fully customizable tiles but they're trying to stay away from messiness as much as possible. Sometimes I find Android's desktop really confusing when you put too many widgets and apps on it.
- 12-13-2012, 10:48 PM #4
Thanks a lot. I guess it would be hard for developers to implement their live tiles if all the sizes were customizable. I was hoping for the three preset sizes (on all the live tiles by the way), and customizing too. But that's not too big of an issue.
- 12-13-2012, 10:51 PM #5
And I completely agree. The homescreen does look very nice.
12-14-2012, 12:28 AM #7
- 37 Posts
In order for the connector to work properly, you must have at least 64bit and have Windows higher than XP. The suggestion is to have win7 or higher.
So for those us that don't have the shoved, you are stuck moving albums, video and pics one by one by hand. Booooooooo I say.
C'mon MS! Fix it!!!
- By EG8196 in forum Nokia Lumia 920Replies: 23Last Post: 01-25-2013, 07:41 AM
- By Steve Ridges in forum Windows Phone 8Replies: 8Last Post: 12-02-2012, 08:06 AM
- By GT2010PassportVersion in forum Windows Phone 8Replies: 2Last Post: 12-01-2012, 06:35 AM
- By MessiaaH in forum Nokia Lumia 920Replies: 0Last Post: 11-14-2012, 08:32 AM
- By superscientific in forum Nokia Lumia 920Replies: 4Last Post: 11-12-2012, 05:03 PM