Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By InnocuousScreenname

Anyone else notice this on Nokia 920?

On desktop view I can watch videos just fine, but on the mobile site it says "you need to install an app for this task. Would you like to search for one in the store?"

If you try to search for one in the store it comes up with no results. Pretty lame considering Bing and the Microsoft Youtube app both send you to the mobile site to view videos.

Question - why not just download an app then? MetroTube, Primetube, and supertube are all good choices
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtoe88 View Post
    Anyone else notice this on Nokia 920?

On desktop view I can watch videos just fine, but on the mobile site it says "you need to install an app for this task. Would you like to search for one in the store?"

If you try to search for one in the store it comes up with no results. Pretty lame considering Bing and the Microsoft Youtube app both send you to the mobile site to view videos.
    Actually, I don't think it's MS/Bing that's the problem. I believe there are a lot of videos on Youtube that are tagged as "desktop" only, and will not run on mobile.
    Thanked by:
    Jastow 

Quote Originally Posted by david90531 View Post
    Question - why not just download an app then? MetroTube, Primetube, and supertube are all good choices
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express
    Metrotube is great. I love it.

But when I use the default search button on my phone. BING. and it send me to a video on youtube that won't play on my phone, that is pretty lame.
    Yeah, I'm trying to figure this out, too. I mean, sure you can just say "Use MetroTube," but it's not that simple. I use MetroTube, but when I'm redirected to a video in mobile YouTube I can't watch it. I don't want to have to copy the URL in MetroTube and watch it that way. It takes too long when I want to quickly watch something. I didn't have this problem on my 900 and I have the stupid YouTube thing installed, but it still pops up. I'll try reinstalling that YouTube plugin.

Re-installing won't work. I think this is a Google FU WP thing. It started over the weekend for me. The YouTube app is simply a shell for the mobile site. Just change the http://m. to http://www. and the video will play fine.

You can no longer use the google sync method to get multiple calendars from google to sync with your phone either.

As other have stated, MetroTube is pretty good.

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Hey folks:

I found out the culprit regarding the youtube "app" not working on my Lumia 920. I had the website preference in Internet Explorer set to "desktop version". When I changed it back to "mobile version", the youtube app worked just like it did before.
    Nabkawe5 likes this.
    Just tap in the address bar and replace the m with www and the desktop site loads.

It'd be helpful if we could select default app for things like videos. I use the app for this site often, and when they post a video in their reviews, I can no longer open it.

Of course, MS wont let us change defaults to things so were outta luck. I guess they figure since they lock down and limit us to their versions of things like email that we don't need such an option.

Switch IE to mobile is a horrible resolution. I like to keep IE in desktop mode and shouldn't have to change it for this

Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    I was about to explain that Youtube gives a different video file to Desktop users and sometimes randomly at that so using m.youtube.com helps and switching IE settings to Mobile will guarantee it works.

That solved my issue. So, I guess I need to delete the Youtube tile, b/c it keeps sending me to m.youtube.com