How to make video calling on Lumia 920

aisiel

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
I don't know about USA, but in Europe this is definitely possible. I have personally used it, so this is not hearsay. It requires 3G, indeed, as a data support, but it is not consuming your data package. It's usually part of the subscription. The subscription looks something like this: 120 national voice minutes, 30 video call minutes, 500 MB data. Please note the "minutes" after the "video call"! Technically, I realize that behind is using a data connection but I don't care. I get taxed by the minute!

Video calling can be made to any subscriber and is not requiring any subscription to a third party (like Skype) or any kind of special software on the phone (like Viber, Skype etc). If the person you are calling has a phone that supports video calling (this is a feature embedded in the phone!), then it goes through. If not, the call is automatically switched to voice only.

It's all very simple and is a pity that there is no support for this in Windows Phone 8. I had this in the old Symbian days. I just got my red lumia 920 and it was one of the first things I noticed. Maybe the new trend is to use Skype or other similar software but this requires more effort from the consumer, when all this could be easily embedded in the phone and used as a subscription feature.

JezzaDB

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
It is certainly available on my old Nokia N97 and it is supported by Australian phone networks - I have no idea about whether it was supported by US networks. When I couldn't work out how to do it on my new Lumia 920 I decided to Google it and found my way here.
There are quite a few things that the old N97 had that I just expected would be on the new phone but then found were absent, such as a log app that keeps records of data usage, call duration etc, the ability to install apps and software updates via the PC so I'm not using up the phone's data quota, multiple ringtone profiles you can swap between (one for when you're in a meeting, one for when you're in a noisy area...) - these aren't deal breakers for me, but I can't help thinking that, if a phone that came out nearly four years ago that was running on S60v5 had these features, surely it shouldn't be beyond a four month old model running the latest OS.

JezzaDB

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I'd never heard of Tango so I just tried to find out what it is - I came across this recent quote from the people at Tango on another site: “We’re currently watching the Windows Phone 8 / Windows 8 space very closely to see how it takes off before we commit to supporting it.” So, at least for the time being, you won't find it on the Lumia 920.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
video calling service never really caught on in North America... I had the ability since my N73, but never used it :) It was more used in Asia/Europe I think but even then I don't think it was all that popular.

wilsey

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I just realized this as well. There is no native video call options in Lumia 920 (or WP8 as well)
And definitely, you don't need to have a data plan to make a video call. It really depends whether the network provider support it or not. I used to make a video call on my old Samsung Omnia II and it doesn't have a data plan.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo