Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can't seem to make native video calling on Lumia 920 (meaning, without using data connection)

Help please?

Thanks

By video calling do you mean skype?
    By "without using data connection" you mean over cellular vs wifi?
    What happens, exactly, when it doesn't work?

Are you on AT&T?

Quote Originally Posted by wjlim3 View Post
    Can't seem to make native video calling on Lumia 920 (meaning, without using data connection)
    there's no "native" video calling in Windows Phone but some users would like to have that option:

http://windowsphone.uservoice.com/fo...everyone-uses-
    Last edited by Gagman; 12-15-2012 at 01:56 PM. Reason: link added

Quote Originally Posted by Gagman View Post
    there's no "native" video calling in Windows Phone but some users would like to have that option:

Native video calling is a must. Not everyone uses Tango
    Thats why I asked about skype - installing the skype preview, you get "video call" options for anyone in your contacts that is also a skype user (or a linked skype user) and I've found that works just fine.

This still uses data though right?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul May View Post
    right, if using 3G

Quote Originally Posted by Paul May View Post
    yes, video calls will use data, not voice. Whatever data you're on - wifi or cell. There are no voice-minute video calling systems I know of.

really? I presumed that my old phone that used to be able to make video calls always made it through phone credit, rather than using data connection (at least I didn't seem to get charged for data when I video called a lot).

Anyway, thanks for the answers guys. I guess I will just have to stick with Skype then.

It's a pity though, because with a native video calling option, I could have made video calls to people who have no skype account, rather than the current situation whereby I only have a handful of skype contacts whom I can video call.

YES SAME problem here.. no native video calling..

Native Video Calling for me = NO CHARGE/FREE.. if need to use skype etc.. these all get charged at data rates.... also people that I call.. do not have skype etc.. but can send/receive native video calls...

Android does not have this support either (except samsung phone).

Might have to go back to my non-smart Native Video Calling Nokia 6600.....

sigh...

Global Posts
    792 Global Posts
    There's a "native" video chat in Android (Google+ hangout) and it uses up data, too. There's currently no way for a data service provider to differentiate between video calls and normal calls, considering all video calls go through various Internet protocols.

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    It's a pity though, because with a native video calling option, I could have made video calls to people who have no skype account, rather than the current situation whereby I only have a handful of skype contacts whom I can video call.
    What program do they use for video if you aren't using Skype or G+?

The benefit of Skype is that it is available on almost every device under the sun that is < 5 years old.

'other' solutions are proprietary and locked in to only that phone.

Given that Skype is the future of Microsoft messaging, and now integrates into your Microsoft account login, I would expect it to become the built in video software in a future update.
    Isn't video calling supposed to be a operator thing rather than only an instrument or an OS thing? e.g. Three UK support video calling and has a different rate and allowance to make video calls or so did I think.

Quote Originally Posted by rockstarzzz View Post
    Isn't video calling supposed to be a operator thing rather than only an instrument or an OS thing? e.g. Three UK support video calling and has a different rate and allowance to make video calls or so did I think.
    Never heard any operator do that in the US. These days all video data is, well, data... so unless it really is baked in and somehow has different QOS flags active so the operator can identify the different traffic and bill differently, it would be hard to split out. Perhaps they do that in the UK?

Global Posts
    753 Global Posts
    Video calls are always going to be data. Though, it is quite possible for a carrier to determine you are using video and not charge you for that data usage. I have never heard of that here in the USA, but I can imagine carriers could consider bundling packages for video minutes.

Honestly, I have never heard about anyone who has made a video call without using data (3G, 4G, WIFI, you name it).

Global Posts
    763 Global Posts
    I think there is an option of TANGO Video Calls
    (Gaming Rig)
    CPU............................Intel E8400 @ 3.6Ghz
    Mobo....................................ASUS P5Q Pro
    RAM.............................4GB G.Skill DDR2 800
    HDD................................WD 6400AAKS HDD
    GPU............................MSI Cyclone GTX 460
    PSU..............................Corsair 650TX 650W
    Case..............................................CM 690
    Display...................Dell SP2208WFP (22 inch)
    O.S.........................Windows 7 Ultimatum 64

Global Posts
    735 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick786us View Post
    I think there is an option of TANGO Video Calls

Global Posts
    735 Global Posts
    Although Tango was an option on my Lumia 900, it does not seem to be available for my Lumia 920 (US). I have searched the Store, but it is not there.

I don't know about USA, but in Europe this is definitely possible. I have personally used it, so this is not hearsay. It requires 3G, indeed, as a data support, but it is not consuming your data package. It's usually part of the subscription. The subscription looks something like this: 120 national voice minutes, 30 video call minutes, 500 MB data. Please note the "minutes" after the "video call"! Technically, I realize that behind is using a data connection but I don't care. I get taxed by the minute!

Video calling can be made to any subscriber and is not requiring any subscription to a third party (like Skype) or any kind of special software on the phone (like Viber, Skype etc). If the person you are calling has a phone that supports video calling (this is a feature embedded in the phone!), then it goes through. If not, the call is automatically switched to voice only.

It's all very simple and is a pity that there is no support for this in Windows Phone 8. I had this in the old Symbian days. I just got my red lumia 920 and it was one of the first things I noticed. Maybe the new trend is to use Skype or other similar software but this requires more effort from the consumer, when all this could be easily embedded in the phone and used as a subscription feature.

It is certainly available on my old Nokia N97 and it is supported by Australian phone networks - I have no idea about whether it was supported by US networks. When I couldn't work out how to do it on my new Lumia 920 I decided to Google it and found my way here.
    There are quite a few things that the old N97 had that I just expected would be on the new phone but then found were absent, such as a log app that keeps records of data usage, call duration etc, the ability to install apps and software updates via the PC so I'm not using up the phone's data quota, multiple ringtone profiles you can swap between (one for when you're in a meeting, one for when you're in a noisy area...) - these aren't deal breakers for me, but I can't help thinking that, if a phone that came out nearly four years ago that was running on S60v5 had these features, surely it shouldn't be beyond a four month old model running the latest OS.

I'd never heard of Tango so I just tried to find out what it is - I came across this recent quote from the people at Tango on another site: “We’re currently watching the Windows Phone 8 / Windows 8 space very closely to see how it takes off before we commit to supporting it.” So, at least for the time being, you won't find it on the Lumia 920.

video calling service never really caught on in North America... I had the ability since my N73, but never used it :) It was more used in Asia/Europe I think but even then I don't think it was all that popular.

Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    I just realized this as well. There is no native video call options in Lumia 920 (or WP8 as well)
    And definitely, you don't need to have a data plan to make a video call. It really depends whether the network provider support it or not. I used to make a video call on my old Samsung Omnia II and it doesn't have a data plan.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast