It's happening "multiple people had windows phones"

smartrthanu

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Wife and I went out tonight, and for the first time ever multiple people had windows phones. It was an odd experience. I had complete strangers coming up to me and asking for advice on their phones. Everyone loved their Lumia 920's (6 people) and were moving from android and ios. All said their new (lumia) was the best phone they've ever had, however, finding the right apps seems to be a problem for them. sidebar: This damn istagram is A HUGE PROBLEM for window phone. It was the number one complaint! Anyway...it was nice to see others sporting the phone. I hope it continues.

Last edited by a moderator:

WPenvy

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
Omg.... NO! There was something quite satisfying about having a phone that not many others had. I'm happy for WP, but geez... I've been seeing my phone's brothers and sisters everywhere. -_-

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Re: It's happening

haha that's great! I doubt that kind of encounter will happen for me here in Canada any time soon, though I do have 2 students' parent (both dads) are windows phone users, with one also own the Surface. And they both said that they will get a WP8 device, one was quite jealous when I showed him my L920 today ;)

pjeung

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

Omg.... NO! There was something quite satisfying about having a phone that not many others had. I'm happy for WP, but geez... I've been seeing my phone's brothers and sisters everywhere. -_-

yeah it's kinda crazy.. i remember wanting an iphone when it first came out, and when i realized everybody already had one, i just couldn't do it.. i'm not saying the same thing is happening with the 920s, but like you said it was cool having something nobody else had...

smartrthanu

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site

To be honest...I knew one of the new owners pretty well. He saw my 900 and my 920 but told him to buy what he wants because I really don't want to be responsible for someone's smartphone happyness. I've been there...it's not worth it. Every issue they have becomes yours. But what I did tell him was to try whatever he wants, and if you're not happy happy, return it (AT&T) and try the 920. So he "tried" the HTC One-X+, said it was fun but just too much work and not "easy" (previous iPhone user). He does a lot of group text messaging and said he simply couldn't deal with android's group text (lack thereof) so he decided to try the 920. Long story short, the quote was "best phone i've ever owned...where's the instagram app?"

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

I was surprised my brother in law was so fast to jump from iphone to wp8. Granted I had made my cell phone intentions known long ago but for him to get it so soon I was surprised. He's talking about the 620 for my sister now too!

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I was surprised my brother in law was so fast to jump from iphone to wp8. Granted I had made my cell phone intentions known long ago but for him to get it so soon I was surprised. He's talking about the 620 for my sister now too!

Nicely done! No way to convert my lass though. She's so invested in Apple the reframing needed to get her pure Windows would cost about ?7500.

InnocuousScreenname

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site

I still haven't seen a Windows Phone 8 device out in the wild as of yet, and no strangers have asked about my device. A curse and a blessing, as yeah, I do want folks to notice my awesome handset, but I don't like anyone playing with my tech.

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site

Haven't seen anyone use WP8 in public up close, but was standing in a train the other night, and a woman right next to me was using a white Lumia 900.

Hiiiiiiiii

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

My mom will join the WP users on Christmas :D

My friend migrated from IP4S to Lumia 920 two days ago, same story: no apps, no games, battery life so far has been disastrous.

Also, he traveled to Germany and few other countries with L920 and he said that the clock does not auto update itself and remains in same time zone, it is set to auto,

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

Thats crazy awesome. Ive seen far more windows phones in general too, but I contributed that to "a man with a hammer sees only nails".

Nicely done! No way to convert my lass though. She's so invested in Apple the reframing needed to get her pure Windows would cost about ?7500.

You should shoot her.

Arsenic17

May 19, 2012
Visit site
My mom will join the WP users on Christmas :D

My friend migrated from IP4S to Lumia 920 two days ago, same story: no apps, no games, buttery life so far has been disastrous.

Also, he traveled to Germany and few other countries with L920 and he said that the clock does not auto update itself and remains in same time zone, it is set to auto,

Moved around many time zones in the USA with my 920. No problems updating the clock at all automatically. That is probably something with the cell towers. They are the ones that issue the times.

Hiiiiiiiii

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Moved around many time zones in the USA with my 920. No problems updating the clock at all automatically. That is probably something with the cell towers. They are the ones that issue the times.

My HTC HD2 with Windows Mobile 6.5 and friends iPhone 4S never had these issues (two different networks.)

eshy

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

None of my many Windows Phones, including the Lumia 920, had any issues updating times and changing time zones. If you have a sim card in the phone and your cell service is working, the time should get updated. also, my 920 lasts 24 hours, NFC on and 8 email accounts constantly syncing.

Luminatic

May 5, 2012
Visit site

Maybe a stupid question ... is there a problem using a WP8 phone in a mac environment?

And just another stupid question to all who have ever used instagram:
What's the point of instagram? I mean this as I say it - I don't know instagram, have never used it. I've heard is for putting filters on pictures and share it ... is that correct? And is there anything instagram can do what facebook/twitter/skydrive/flickr/MMS can't? (I don't mean this in a derogatory way, I really don't see the point of instagram ... this is coming from a person who doesn't have a facebook account, often shares pictures via MMS, occasionaly shares pictures via flickr, rarely via skydrive)

(I wonder if people will notice my lemon yellow Lumia 920 once I have it. My colleagues at work certainly will.- They're IT people and always keen to see new gadgets)

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

Maybe a stupid question ... is there a problem using a WP8 phone in a mac environment?

Well, I do have some Mac environment in my life, but that's because my CS4 Master Collection key (fully legal) is for Mac only. But I would want to completely push her into the Windows ecosystem, as opposed to just a WP8 in the system. She's got iPhone iPad iMac MacBook Pro and MacBook Air because it's the whole ecosystem. That will be trickier. Plus, she's such a die-hard Apple fangirl there's no way to convince her anyway!

You should shoot her.

No thanks. If I shoot her, I'm either gonna get dumped or she's going to die, and tbh, I'd rather stay with her. Plus the whole MS vs Apple thing fosters some competitiveness between us both, which seems to be good for my relationships.

Kampaviineri

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site

I have been wondering about instagram myself. What the **** does it do? I have a vague understanding that it is about "masking" crappy cell phone photos so they look crappy in a different way (like, intentionally) way, and that's about it.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter if you know about the app or not. Whether you use it or not, or whether you like it or not.

It is what is popular, and it IS where the users are.
It is what counts.

Kampaviineri

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site

Ok, as I don't use it, I have only seen the instagram images on facebook which has led me to believe that it's just about the filters and then sharing on FB.

That said, of course if we have millions of people using and loving and not being able to live without it, WP needs to get it as well to really succeed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion