How can I get the camera to have *everything* in focus?

delboy98

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys. Does anyone know if there's a setting on this camera to have everything in the shot in focus, i.e. things both near and far?

When I use the physical camera button, it focuses solely on the centre. When I use the touch screen, I have to choose a specific area to be in focus.

Thanks in advance.

anon(5348929)

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
When focussing with the hardware button, you can press it half way down to focus somewhere, then (while holding the button) move the phone to choose the area you want to have in the picture and then press the button the whole way down to take the picture.

But with an f/2.0 lens you will have a visible depth of field ( Depth of field - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ), there's nothing anyone can do about that, it's just physics ;-)

congusano

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys. Does anyone know if there's a setting on this camera to have everything in the shot in focus, i.e. things both near and far?

When I use the physical camera button, it focuses solely on the centre. When I use the touch screen, I have to choose a specific area to be in focus.

Thanks in advance.

everything in the same plane is focused, you can not change that. If you want both near and far focused, you will have to do what is called focus stacking...(you can google that). The camera is f2.0 which means it's aperature opens up really wide (lets in a lot of light, hence awesome low light pictures), but that means that it has a smaller focal area.

So, to summarize, you can not focus both far and near. This isn't anything against the camera in the 920, its simple physics.

CoZmicShReddeR

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I take hundreds of photo's every month with my Lumia 920 and on the most part it works well but finding it would be better sometimes to manually focus. On shiny objects in low light the auto focus sucks as it attempts to grab light from the reflections. In dim light the flash will washout the image as I think the flash would be better set to a slower flash but there is no option for it... With focusing in on people or a group of things it's best to have natural light as it will not put a glare in your image as I have found the auto focus caches incandescent light cause the photo to come out blurry but I think it's because some of the lights we have at work have no covers to defuse the light... Anyways my point is the lighting wherever you take the shot will ruin your focus if is not pure or soft... I do not think it is the Lumia 920 it's just best to try to take photos either in natural light or near lighting that has shades or something to defuse it... Another thing is to have the natural light behind you... This all helps with focus... One last thing that I see maybe not by you but it's a serious common issue with people and I see it with just about any camera phone pic is many people don't consider to keep a tiny microfiber cloth with them to wipe what I call smooge from their phones camera lens! That will seriously effect your snap shots! Greasy oily finger prints on your lens will cause your photos to look blurry... The other painful option is to take many shots at different angles...

Last edited:

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Can any camera focus on everything in the image? Every lens is going to have its own depth of field, etc.

A light-field camera can do this. There was a lot of buzz a few months ago on Engadget about the Lytro camera, the first consumer-grade light-field camera. It captures all the focal lengths at once and lets you adjust the focus after the photo is taken (when you convert the light-field image to a traditional 2-dimensional image format). A recent software update to their software allows it to generate a jpeg with the entire frame in focus.

https://www.lytro.com/

No it's not possible to do this with the L920. It's got a very good camera, but it is still a conventional camera, not a light-field camera.

CoZmicShReddeR

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
A light-field camera can do this. There was a lot of buzz a few months ago on Engadget about the Lytro camera, the first consumer-grade light-field camera. It captures all the focal lengths at once and lets you adjust the focus after the photo is taken (when you convert the light-field image to a traditional 2-dimensional image format). A recent software update to their software allows it to generate a jpeg with the entire frame in focus.

https://www.lytro.com/

No it's not possible to do this with the L920. It's got a very good camera, but it is still a conventional camera, not a light-field camera.

Interesting never knew that!:)

glimited

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Any camera that can adjust aperture can get more of the scene in focus, especially if you use the hyperfocal distance. But that technique is more for a "real" camera.

George Ponder

Editor
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
The 920's camera has a fixed aperture of f2.0. Great for low light shots but sucks on Depth of Field. It's just shallow and without a variable aperture, it is what it is.

Light field cameras are neat but I'm not sure if you can size it down small enough to fit in a smartphone though... would be neat but not sure very possible.

Ben Lehtovaara

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure I understand why you would want to do this. I find photos look like cheap point and shoot photos when everything in the image is in focus. When you move to a real camera you gain the ability to focus on a specific plane and focus on a specific detail in a shot like with portraits or macro shots. This is my favourite feature of the Lumia 920.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs