"The Next iPhone"

Paul May

Lumia 950 & Surface Pro Champion
Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Good article. The only thing I hate that people keep saying is that the app store needs to catch up to iOS and google and I don't think that's true. I don't think MS store needs 700,000 apps. We need great apps, quality over quantity. We need to focus on that rather than the amount of apps. How many fart sound apps or ghost radar apps does one person need?

Optimus82

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Good article. The only thing I hate that people keep saying is that the app store needs to catch up to iOS and google and I don't think that's true. I don't think MS store needs 700,000 apps. We need great apps, quality over quantity. We need to focus on that rather than the amount of apps. How many fart sound apps or ghost radar apps does one person need?

well basically that is the point when people say it needs more apps. Obviously people don't want 10000 fart apps but with every quality app there is you will get a 100 more crap apps.

Zer0fluX

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I really don't understand the "lack of apps" argument. Maybe I'm missing something by having never owned an iOS or Android device, but I just don't feel like I'm missing anything in the Windows Phone app selection. I use my phone for a pretty even mix of business and social purposes, and get just about everything I need with Office, OneNote (a lot), Maps/GPS, Mail, Calendar, People, Phone, Messaging, Music, a few games, Xbox SmartGlass, Facebook, wpcentral (of course), Twitter and IE. With all the integration of services, I have very few extra apps (Kindle, Crackle, Netflix, and Fandango fill in the gaps nicely). I mean, I have so little need for more functionality that I rarely even go to the store for anything other than updates. Seriously, unless I want a Live Tile with notifications, I use IE and the Web for my "app" needs. Am I missing something? If so, please clue me in.

doomtuba

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
It has almost everything most people need app-wise. The thing is Windows Phone doesn't get the "fad" apps like SnapChat, and those social games at all or not nearly fast enough. To me it's not important, but a lot of people really like them. Also the lack of Instagram is a sticking point still to a lot of people.

pjeung

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
i have all the apps i need... weave, espn, 2 fantasy football apps (espn, yahoo), weather flow on lockscreen is beast, fb, twitter, skydrive, ebay, amazon,boa, i mean what else do you need?

SinisterDuck

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
i have all the apps i need... weave, espn, 2 fantasy football apps (espn, yahoo), weather flow on lockscreen is beast, fb, twitter, skydrive, ebay, amazon,boa, i mean what else do you need?

MY bank app. ;-)

I think the main issue is that app developers go for iPhone and Android first, and WP is an after-thought. Pity.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
It's not so much the quantity, but whether Windows Phone has all, or at least, enough of the quality and popular apps on iOS. Windows Phone's developer environment is certainly capable of pushing amazing apps (see wpcentral, MetroTube, Weather Flow, BBC, etc), but WP lacks a lot of other stuff. For starters, we don't have Flipboard, and while that probably doesn't matter to a lot of us, it certainly does to many others. In addition, where we do have some app parity it seems our WP versions of apps are either behind or simply developed as token apps, with no further room for updates and improvements. A prime example of this is ESPN Cricinfo, it doesn't even work on Windows Phone 8, one month later and this is what ESPN is doing? This is a serious problem, and there is absolutely no way for Microsoft to change this situation without a seriously strong userbase on this platform.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I really don't understand the "lack of apps" argument. Maybe I'm missing something by having never owned an iOS or Android device, but I just don't feel like I'm missing anything in the Windows Phone app selection.

I believe you're correct; you probably don't notice the app shortage having never owned an iOS or Android device. That's what I've noticed in my colleagues with Windows Phones. I'm using a WP temporarily while waiting for my Nexus 4 to be delivered, and the lack of apps is my biggest problem with WP.

Optimus82

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
You also have to realize that the ios app store is somewhat different than googles playstore. Devs have the option to create a good app for both ios and android but with android some developers are able to create more unique apps because of the api's such as floating browsers/apps, dialer widgets, filebrowser widgets, a lot of really unique apps that actually add features to the platform. So its either develop for ios with the potential large customer base or for android with large customer base and more control of what apps to make use of the many api's or wp8 with a small customer base and not many options to develop. We can't even have control over seperate volume levels as a user and devs can even create apps that let us because they are not allowed to mess with that stuff

hehedeba

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
The next iPhone will be hard (if not impossible) to match in terms of popularity and the market (end-users and app developers) it commands. I'll be just happy if Nokia Lumia 920 or other Lumia ranges can pull Nokia to a better footing in terms of mobile competitiveness. I truly think they deserve it. Wp8 has been largely Microsoft's work, but Nokia has done well (IMO) in the phone architect and features (maps, drive, etc) that come with the phone.

glimited

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I switched from iOS and after the initial switch to WP8 I didn't really think much about the lack of apps. For most stuff I've found replacements, but a lot of the apps lack the quality that developers put toward iOS apps. Sure there are a few apps that work great on WP8, but they're limited. After having owned the phone since launch I still find myself using my iPhone 4 on WiFi and am thinking of getting a tethering plan so I can still use it. Overall I really like the smoothness of the WP8 OS and hope that it really picks up and more developers spend more time on it. But with the current lack of developer commitment to the OS, it's difficult to fully enjoy the phone.

I guess for those who only need a few apps don't see the shortcomings in the app selection. For the rest of us, it's still early so all we can do is wait and hope developers take more interest in WP8. If it doesn't pick up in the 2-years that I'm locked in for, I'll have to switch back to iOS.

justforphun

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
i think there is a big lack of apps! i'm so happy with my lumia and wp in general.

and i don't miss any app.

but it really bothers me that apps available are sometimes in such a bad quality and functionality!

that's the real deal breaker for WP in my opinion, it's not the quantity, it's the quality!

anon(1019781)

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Nobody is saying they want fart apps. They just want the same choices of apps that you see on the Google Play store, at the very least. With quality there's always a bunch of crap as well due to having a large userbase.

Paul May

Lumia 950 & Surface Pro Champion
Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Nobody is saying they want fart apps. They just want the same choices of apps that you see on the Google Play store, at the very least. With quality there's always a bunch of crap as well due to having a large userbase.

I understand what your saying it was just an example. I'm all for choices on apps If we can but priority has to be quality which is lacking in some of the apps compared to the other major platforms. Quality first and quantity second. Its no use having 5 million apps if they are mostly crAPPS

Adlai91

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Apps are a huge selling point for the general phone market. If people don't have their apps they are so used to having and using on a daily basis on their Iphone or Android phone, why would they switch over to a windows phone?

Apps such as Instagram are essential for windows phone to gain a lot of new customers.

ynight

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I really like my browser instead of bunch of apps... Say twitter and Facebook, the web experience is always much better than apps....
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3