SOLVED: Warranty exchange - new or refurbished? Lumia 920

marveldave

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
UPDATE: Received my replacement phone from AT&T Warranty Dept yesterday and it was not in a retail packaging, so it's a reconditioned phone. It's been only a day but so far so good, no freezing issue. So far I am happy.

My 920 (Cyan) has been having frequent freeze issue lately and I am out of the 14-days store exchange period, so I had to work with the warranty department. The first agent I spoke with last week told me that he would order me a brand new phone (instead of a refurbished one), but unfortunately Cyan was out of stock at that time, so he asked me to call again at a later time. Today I called again, Cyan now is in stock, but the agent that I talked to today said she will send me a refurbished phone and not a brand new phone. I told her that the first agent told me that it would be a brand new phone, but she kept insisting that they only have refurbished phone in warranty dept and said the last agent was not telling the truth.:eck:

For those of you who got your 920 replacement phone via warranty, was it a brand new phone or a refurbished phone?

Thanks.

Last edited:

George Ponder

Editor
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
Re: Warranty exchange - new or refurbished? Lumia 920

AT&T?

If I remember right, AT&T sends you a refurbished unit under the warranty exchange program. Most are returns from customers who didn't like the phone but everything is supposed to be rigorously tested to make sure the replacement is in good working order.

I used the exchange a few years ago and the only way I knew the phone was used was that it had about ten minutes on the call timer.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

How many refurbished 920's could they possibly have now at this point? I wouldn't rule out the possiblity of getting a refurb but I would think within the first 30-60 days you will see just as many new replacements. After this month I am willing to bet there will be mostly refurbs in circulation.

TMavC5

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

As AT&T put it, recondition phone from previous owner that didn't like the product returned within 15 days.

JConn_Lefty

Jan 1, 1970
Visit site

are the refurbished phones in immaculate physical condition? if so, i wouldn't worry too much as long as it works properly.

marveldave

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

are the refurbished phones in immaculate physical condition? if so, i wouldn't worry too much as long as it works properly.

I have not received it yet. Yes, as long as it is like new clean, I should be okay with it. I was told that I would get a brand new one and now they said I would be getting a refurbished one, that's why I was wondering at the first place.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site

My dad got a refurb 900 from AT&T a few months ago, and the device was better than new imho. Not only was it in new condition, but it didn't have any issues, which are always possible in the "lottery" of purchasing a new phone.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site

Just got my Warranty replacement from AT&T white L920. I received a brand new in the box with all accessories meaning charger cable and sim key. I wouldn't have ben upset if I had gotten a referb. AT&T has a quality refurbish device group. Most of the time with devices this new they haven't gotten the processes set up yet to refurbish the devices.

JConn_Lefty

Jan 1, 1970
Visit site

Just got my Warranty replacement from AT&T white L920. I received a brand new in the box with all accessories meaning charger cable and sim key. I wouldn't have ben upset if I had gotten a referb. AT&T has a quality refurbish device group. Most of the time with devices this new they haven't gotten the processes set up yet to refurbish the devices.

how long did it take you to receive the replacement?

marveldave

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

If they have your color in stock, you should get it by 1-2 days (Priority mail). The problem for me is they don't have Cyan in stock, so I have to wait. I believe they have White, Black and Red in stock now.

JConn_Lefty

Jan 1, 1970
Visit site

If they have your color in stock, you should get it by 1-2 days (Priority mail). The problem for me is they don't have Cyan in stock, so I have to wait. I believe they have White, Black and Red in stock now.

wow, that's not bad at all. i was expecting 3-5 days... do they send you the replacement first?

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site

how long did it take you to receive the replacement?

I called on Thursday last week. I was given the option to pay an extra $15 for overnight service if I wanted it I declined. I was told 3-7 business days so it could take that long they will tell you.

Beltelmel

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site

Did they send you white because your original was white, or could you have gotten another in stock color like black? I assume the imei tells them what color the phone is.

marveldave

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

wow, that's not bad at all. i was expecting 3-5 days... do they send you the replacement first?

Yes they do and then you have 10 days to mail the defective phone back, otherwise they will charge you $450 something..... As Dave Blake said, you have a choice to get it faster with additional shipping charge, but in my case, they said they will ship it to me priority mail (1-2 days) for free because my color is out of stock.

You can probably politely tell them that you need the replacement phone right away and that you can't live with the defective one, and they probably waive the priority mail shipping charge.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site

Did they send you white because your original was white, or could you have gotten another in stock color like black? I assume the imei tells them what color the phone is.

You have to take the same color. The CSR I spoke to said it has to be the exact same device.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I just got my swap in and it was in new condition. Very nice, nothing hinted that the phone had been used. Could be an issue like Apple does when the launch a new tablet/phone. The have so many of those new devices shipped in brown/white boxes for launch defects.

I am extremely happy with my 3rd device. The second was brand new from the store but had sound issues... The first had Bluetooth issues. This one is perfect. I would like to think from a second batch directly from Nokia to ATT support.

My rep said it would be a new phone, but I take it with a grain if salt. It came in a white box, but ad stated before, new.

marveldave

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

You have to take the same color. The CSR I spoke to said it has to be the exact same device.

Unless your phone's color is out of stock, then they'll ask you to select whatever color you want that are in stock. That's what happened to me, but I refused and decided to wait for Cyan.

kwill

May 25, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, waiting on yellow placement (dust in camera, freezing). First time I ordered replacement it cancelled my order. They said it's because it was backordered when they placed the ordered. Two weeks later and them constantly following up they asked if I wanted a different color....no chance. Looked today, the yellow showed in stock, so gave them a call. Lady found one she could order in another system and now I'm just praying this one doesn't cancel. Lol. Said it's expected by the 24th.

Anyone know how they are about scratches on the back when asking for replacement? Mine has a few from keys I'm assuming.

marveldave

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, waiting on yellow placement (dust in camera, freezing). First time I ordered replacement it cancelled my order. They said it's because it was backordered when they placed the ordered. Two weeks later and them constantly following up they asked if I wanted a different color....no chance. Looked today, the yellow showed in stock, so gave them a call. Lady found one she could order in another system and now I'm just praying this one doesn't cancel. Lol. Said it's expected by the 24th.

Anyone know how they are about scratches on the back when asking for replacement? Mine has a few from keys I'm assuming.

I read from the previous post in this forum that they don't really check for the scratches, so I think you should be fine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb