Issue with calls - no audio.

Horsefeathers7

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
I have a Windows phone with Windows 8 installed - or at least the phone version - as soon as I ran an update I have no sound at all for incoming or outgoing calls. This might be a driver issue. I work as a systems admin and see driver issues for otther things so why not a crummy Windows 8 operating system? I'll be bringing my phone back for a new one. No updates from now on - if it is working and ain't broke as they say :)

carolinesami

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
yes i did today too but when using loudspeaker it worked, but when by plugging in a headset and plugging out, the sound came back but only for few mins and then it goes away again ! i did a soft and hard reset still the same bug

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Odd but I experienced this today. Dialed some numbers but didn't hear anything including the ringing or the person on the other end. They did not hear me either.

I turned off the phone and turned it on again and it seemed to work afterwards.

I had not been listening to any music or using the headphone jack earlier in the day.

eschaaf

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I've started noticing this problem in the past couple weeks. Seems that most of the time when I RECEIVE a call I can't hear anything after I pick up, but the person on the other end confirms that they hear me speaking though. When I MAKE the phone call I am able to hear them. I plugged my headphones in and received a call and was able to hear it though.

The results seem inconsistent though b/c I'm pretty sure I've received some calls that connected w/ audio properly during this time too. Not sure if anyone has found a permanent solution yet.

Also, possibly related, I've noticed that the regular phone speaker seems less clear and has a bit of a "tin-ny" sound to it when its not on speakerphone now. Only noticed that in the past couple weeks too.

Antonio Arizaga

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I've been experiencing the same thing. I make a call, but a don't hear the 'beep' and I see that the other person answer and i dont hear anything, unless a put the speaker on, but the other person tells me that he didn't hear me until I put the speaker mode on. What could it be?

P O

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Same here, although in my case sound just drops during call (ironically once during a call with VZ customer support) then came back during same call, both times I had problem .Had phone 3 weeks its happened twice both times audio dropped for a few seconds during call then came back few seconds later. I can't tell you if the person on the other end is experiencing same thing. Checked on the VZ Lumia forum and there are 1/2 dozen posts on this same issue, all from late 2012, me thinks it might be a software issue.

Plugmeister

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Same issue with my parent's brand new Lumia 520. They have had it for less than a week and within two days were experiencing the same issue. Outbound and Inbound calls connect but no audio on either end. It seems to work OK when switching to speaker phone. They were blaming themselves for not being very tech savvy and went back and asked the store about the issue. The store eventually "solved" it by turning the phone off and on again (nice one Roy!). The "final" solution was that they should turn their phone off and on again a few times each week. A load of bollocks I say!

This is my first experience with a W8 phone, so not impressed that Nokia would even consider selling a device with this issue. The salesman talked them into buying the Nokia handset against my advice. I've have now advised them to take it back and demand a new phone......

Jani Lyly

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I had this same issue. I just stuffed a cotton swab in to the 3.5 mm audio jack and cleaned it that way and voila! Works perfectly now. If the connectors are short circuited by some small piece of grit, the phone thinks you're wearing headphones and that's the reason the speaker is off and the mic wont register anything. The connectors in the audio jack seem to be really sensitive, so doing this should fix your problem too.

Jennai Tsotigh

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Just today my phone started having this problem. It rings, plays music, and has sound but when I make or receive or make a phone call the other person cannot hear me but I can hear them. If I put the call on speaker phone then it works. I just wonder how the speakers can work at all except during a regular call? I did the soft reset? But scared to restore the phone. Is there a solution without having to do that or is it time to chalk it up and get a new phone?

jamie johnston

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem, i plugged in an external speaker to test something. late in the day i noticed i had no sound unless i used head phones. i managed to get it working again by poking a WD40 red spray tube (clean, of course) and got it to work. it was still intermittent so instead of going through the hassle of taking it back to the shop in France i bought it from (i live in Belgium) i decided to buy a new headphone jack and replace it myself. it took literally 5 mins to do and now it works fine. i was going to buy a little dust cap for it to keep anything out of it in the future and to not risk the same thing happening again.

Vicki Smith1

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Exact same thing had happened to me with my Lumia 800.Thing is I didn't have an jack with ear phones... I actually thought it was my hubby's crappy telstra phone that was playing up!!
Phone is only 18 months old.
Went through your forum found this thread and after trying to do a soft reset and it not working. I backed up my phone and did a hard reset as suggested.
IT WORKED!!

Thank you to everyone for posting and helping me fix my phone up. First time I have ever been let down with a Nokia :/ Totally devastated me!!

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
The issue actually went away with one workaround. This is indeed an hardware issue.

When you look into the audio socket on the top of the phone, you will see a small dot (metal or copper) which seem to act like some switch. I used the thirdparty audio jack and just touched the small dot, and my voice immediately started coming on the other phone, while testing this workaround.

Sucks !

drbethl

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
hello. me too. how do I get the firmware? have beensolving it by using the speaker phone button when the normal method doesn't work -but a bit of a problem in public spaces . . . .

drbethl

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
thanks. this worked. what a stupid glitch, but at least it got solved before i turned in my phone for repair. thanks again (no thanks to nokia - does anyone else get tired of being the beta test site for new stuff? arrgh!)

Zenrio Believe

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
that still happen to my phone 1520 also
no one fixes this???????????

it occurs only when i use another headphone
no issues when i use nokia earphone
but i dont use nokia earphone, it sucks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members