Jaime Rivera from pocketnow.com, thinks Nokia is the biggest loser of 2012!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
It hasn't been proven wrong either has it? You have some sort of hotline to Elop, and got the sales figures? Point is, it's to early to tell.

Besides, there's absolutely NOTHING wrong with my L920. No Rattles, no battery drain, no dust and Whatever...

I'm NOT a ******. But it's seriously annoying with all the Nokia/MSFT bashing going around. I honestly feel like I'm sitting with a quality device here.

Wait, there is nothing wrong with your 920? Did I ask? Why do you feel the need to defend your device based on the one snippet you quoted?

Nokia makes quality devices - even I said in my post I think the launch batch that had issues was just a fluke and likely due to the rush placed on them by Microsoft and investors to get something out the door before the holidays. Glad you enjoy your Lumia - never said there was a problem with anyone enjoying anything.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
It's not about marketshare its about beating your competition at every release cycle.

So far Nokia is doing a great job if you look at ATT sales their top 4 correct? 1. Apple, 2 GS3, 3 GNOTE2, Lumia 920.

That's pretty damn good considering you have Sony, HTC and other OEM's battling for that spot.

So the way I look at it is not Marketshare because that takes time its about beating your competition every cycle and hopefully with good word of mouth Nokia should be able to stump GS3, Gnote2 and you can already slowly see that happening.

LikeWaah

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
There are many tech writers who are still on Apple's jock. There was one writer in particular who fancied himself as a 'analyst', stating that Nokia would be out of business by as early as the end of this year!! Hahaha, what a terrible call. I tried to explain to him that Nokia's financial position isn't as dire as he thought, and that they can remain solvent for at least another 6 quarters. Even that was an extremely pessimistic outlook, assuming no profits, and continued cash burn.

I cited Nokia's quarterly reports to support my claims. He refuted my claims with inaccurate news articles, never once actually taking a look at the financial statements provided by Nokia. In other words, he was not just ignorant, he was being willfully ignorant.

Believe me, I will be following him to ridicule him next year, and the following quarters after that. Especially if Nokia shows an operating profit in Q1 2013. I am not usually one to hold a grudge, but if you make ridiculous claims like that, then ignore all evidence given to you, while continuing to run your mouth, I will not let you forget how much of an idiot you were being.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Meh.. reason why WP isn't at the 10-15% is because you have a bunch of Jamie Rivera's working at your local retail outlets. Obviously those are people with a lack of vision and have a bad taste for technology.

Kilauea91

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
There are many tech writers who are still on Apple's jock. There was one writer in particular who fancied himself as a 'analyst', stating that Nokia would be out of business by as early as the end of this year!! Hahaha, what a terrible call. I tried to explain to him that Nokia's financial position isn't as dire as he thought, and that they can remain solvent for at least another 6 quarters. Even that was an extremely pessimistic outlook, assuming no profits, and continued cash burn.

I cited Nokia's quarterly reports to support my claims. He refuted my claims with inaccurate news articles, never once actually taking a look at the financial statements provided by Nokia. In other words, he was not just ignorant, he was being willfully ignorant.

Believe me, I will be following him to ridicule him next year, and the following quarters after that. Especially if Nokia shows an operating profit in Q1 2013. I am not usually one to hold a grudge, but if you make ridiculous claims like that, then ignore all evidence given to you, while continuing to run your mouth, I will not let you forget how much of an idiot you were being.

Your saying "fancied himself a ANALyst" makes me giggle. Speaking of analyst, here is a quote from Reuters today:

"I think people are looking and saying, 'Hey, there aren't enough 920s in the market', but the reality is that the volume is so small. It's not going to move the needle," said Pacific Crest Securities analyst James Faucette.

This is the same person who gave PALM an outperform rating while its priced @ 17+/share back in Sept 2009, and less than 8 months later, PALM is bought out by HP for $5.70/share and we all know where PALM ended up today.
This is the same person who gave bullish comment on AAPL back in Oct this year while it's still $630+/share and it's not hard to see how AAPL has been doing since.
This is the same person who came in to give Boingo Wireless a target price of $13 after crashing down to ~7.70 in June 2011 from $13.50 IPO price , and the stock dipped further down to ~$6.80 in
October the same year.

I trust more of my own crystal ball than listening to these ANALyst. :wink:

azasadny

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I don't read most tech writers because they spread lies and half-truths or just ignorance. I remember that one of them (can't remember which hipster this was) who said that a Windows 8 phone wouldn't sync with Windows 7 desktop OS. What a load of rubbish! Then the limp-wristed ones scream about how heavy the phone is... what a bunch of garbage! But then again the whole "hair combed into a point on the top of their heads" really didn't do anything for me. What qualifications do these idiots need? Noneee. anyone can put a "tech blog" out there and I can choose to ignore them!

nander

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
You must be a serious ****** and a little unstable if you call someone an ******* just for not liking Nokia. It's his opinion, just like the opinions of every other writer in that article. Get over it. And honestly, after the way they messed up the release of the 920 here in the UK, they kinda deserve imo (KEY WORDS: IN MY OPINION)

I adore my 920 but really, hearing the horrible stories of defective and bricked units, the difficulty getting one and the not so great daylight performance AT LAUNCH (yes the fix is incoming, but it should have been there from day one), Nokia definitely had some stumbles. But seriously, get over yourself. It's just a damn phone (maker).

ColeHarris

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Here's what I know: I'm sitting here holding my Lumia 920 and I'm absolutely unequivocally smitten with it, and nothing else really matters.

LikeWaah

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Your saying "fancied himself a ANALyst" makes me giggle. Speaking of analyst, here is a quote from Reuters today:

"I think people are looking and saying, 'Hey, there aren't enough 920s in the market', but the reality is that the volume is so small. It's not going to move the needle," said Pacific Crest Securities analyst James Faucette.

This is the same person who gave PALM an outperform rating while its priced @ 17+/share back in Sept 2009, and less than 8 months later, PALM is bought out by HP for $5.70/share and we all know where PALM ended up today.
This is the same person who gave bullish comment on AAPL back in Oct this year while it's still $630+/share and it's not hard to see how AAPL has been doing since.
This is the same person who came in to give Boingo Wireless a target price of $13 after crashing down to ~7.70 in June 2011 from $13.50 IPO price , and the stock dipped further down to ~$6.80 in
October the same year.

I trust more of my own crystal ball than listening to these ANALyst. :wink:

No kidding.

To be fair, if I were to publish my own price targets, I would probably be wrong 90% of the time as well. It's really hard to predict exact prices. However, as far as general trends are concerned, I think it's possible to predict their general direction and magnitude.

That being said, a lot of analysts keep much too short of a time frame in mind, and seem to follow their peers more than high school teens do. I don't trust much of what the analysts say. However, if the analyst is being reasonable and logical with their opinion, I will listen. It's always helpful to take their facts and reported figures and apply my own critical thinking. There's entirely too much hyperbole being tossed around, both for bull and bear cases.

At the end of the day, as long as my portfolio is in the green, I could care less what these analysts say. If anything, they are keeping the stock down for me to increase my position for cheaper. :grin:

sjhippie

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I absolutely love mine. Since mine got effing lost/stolen the other night, I'm on my second. There was no question to replace it or not. Was talking to the ATT rep as he was sorting out a sweet replacement deal and he said they haven't been able to keep them in stock. Granted, it's silicon valley and we're addicted to our gadgets, but I think Nokia and WP is a fabulous combination. Just my .02

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I bet you that he doesn't know anything about pureview... how it works, or what is involved to make it work... he simply sounds like a proper troll.

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
What does an opinion of one blogger has to do with success of a phone? Many of us have 920, and we know that the phone is great. So why bother with an opinion of one person? How many of us bashed iPhone?

MDak280

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
This dude is a hack and the reason I stopped visiting that site.

I agree, he is pretty annoying. But I set the site to show "Windows Phone Only" articles, and he hardly ever writes about Windows. Most of the writers there aren't too terribly biased. They have pretty nice reviews and articles and they recently posted a video comparison of the Lumia 920 and Ativ S, which I enjoyed! :)

SoloXCRacer

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Who is Jaime Rivera and why should I care what he thinks?

EDIT: Ah, I just looked up his job title. "Multimedia Manager". So he's the guy who sets up and fixes the projector in all the conference rooms. Yeah, really qualified.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo