We made some changes

Our new forums are here!

Saving money on data

Mint SIM is the perfect way to get cheap data in the U.S.

Don't count Windows Phone out just yet

Dead? Psh. Here are 5 reasons to stick with Windows 10 Mobile

VPN vs. Proxy

The difference between a proxy and a VPN

Latitude attitude

Dell Latitude 7280 is a business laptop with tons of consumer attitude

4K all the way

You probably don't NEED a 4K webcam, but we love Logitech's BRIO 4K anyway

Long live Windows phone

Contrary to popular belief, Windows phone won't die anytime soon

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. thekonger's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    277 Posts
    Global Posts
    317 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    To set 3G only on AT&T use this method. Read entirely as there's one step that gets the change to stick. I read it in another thread but can't find it right now. But it did work for my 920.

    Do the ##3282# field test
    Hit the three buttons and go into settings
    The important step: Toggle ENS to off and reboot. From my understanding ENS stands for Emergency Notification System and unless you subscribe I don't think it hurts to leave it off.
    Now go back to the field test and switch to 3G Only and the change should stick
  2. tibere86's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    52 Posts
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by thekonger View Post
    To set 3G only on AT&T use this method. Read entirely as there's one step that gets the change to stick. I read it in another thread but can't find it right now. But it did work for my 920.

    Do the ##3282# field test
    Hit the three buttons and go into settings
    The important step: Toggle ENS to off and reboot. From my understanding ENS stands for Emergency Notification System and unless you subscribe I don't think it hurts to leave it off.
    Now go back to the field test and switch to 3G Only and the change should stick
    I manually flashed the new Portico update today and it seems to disable ##3282# access. Can anyone else confirm? Prior to update, I was able to input ##3282# and force my Lumia into 2G or 3G or 4G only modes.
  3. Daniel Ratcliffe's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,046 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,703 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #3  
    Thanks for the tip! I wasn't aware of ##3282#! That's a beauty little shortcut. Worked on my international unlocked HTC titan in the UK on Three. Will be good to jam into 3G when they get 4G. I find it fast enough.
  4. Traxan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #4  
    I have a question about this.

    I go into the Field Test menu (##3282) and set it to 3G only, but it never stays. It keeps resetting to automatic. How do I make it stick? There's no save options/settings.

    TIA.
  5. GabrielStorm's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    299 Posts
    Global Posts
    402 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Traxan View Post
    I have a question about this.

    I go into the Field Test menu (##3282) and set it to 3G only, but it never stays. It keeps resetting to automatic. How do I make it stick? There's no save options/settings.

    TIA.
    From the OP.

    To set 3G only on AT&T use this method. Read entirely as there's one step that gets the change to stick. I read it in another thread but can't find it right now. But it did work for my 920.

    Do the ##3282# field test
    Hit the three buttons and go into settings
    The important step: Toggle ENS to off and reboot. From my understanding ENS stands for Emergency Notification System and unless you subscribe I don't think it hurts to leave it off.
    Now go back to the field test and switch to 3G Only and the change should stick
  6. Traxan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #6  
    Ok that seems to do it. Thanks.
  7. steve kaufmann's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    13 Posts
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #7  
    I have a nokia 920, i dial the number and hit call, then close and then settings, nothing there. Im doing something wrong please help.

    thamks
    stevek
  8. awesomeindeed's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    164 Posts
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #8  
    this no longer works after Portico. Field test code has been disabled.
  9. zombiegrrl86's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    51 Posts
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by awesomeindeed View Post
    this no longer works after Portico. Field test code has been disabled.
    It still works, you need to dial ##3282 NOT ##3282#
  10. sachinvermarip's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    9 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #10  
    Thanks a lot! ##3282 works.
  11. xer0piggy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #11  
    I thought ENS was Enhanced Network Services (or sometimes Selection)??
  12. stoneysilence's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    123 Posts
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #12  
    I tried this on my phone. It saves and in the settings it says 3g however when I am on the phone itself it still only shows one bar and 4g like it's not saved. I tried rebooting it several times and every time it is saved and says 3g in the diag menu but when I pull down the info from the top it says 4g.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
  13. pookiewood's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    51 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneysilence View Post
    I tried this on my phone. It saves and in the settings it says 3g however when I am on the phone itself it still only shows one bar and 4g like it's not saved. I tried rebooting it several times and every time it is saved and says 3g in the diag menu but when I pull down the info from the top it says 4g.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    It's Correct. It's 4G HSPA not 4G LTE.
  14. stoneysilence's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    123 Posts
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by pookiewood View Post
    It's Correct. It's 4G HSPA not 4G LTE.
    But I still only get 1bar while on 3g I should have 3bars.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
  15. Zolotoy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    456 Posts
    Global Posts
    494 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #15  
    So, what's a way of setting up 3g only on ATT phone?

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-07-2012, 12:39 PM
  2. Pandora app on AT&amp;T store advert
    By rybob1 in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-29-2012, 06:04 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-13-2012, 12:57 PM
  4. Slow 3G download speeds on AT&T
    By gravage in forum Samsung Focus
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-02-2010, 05:17 PM

Posting Permissions

";