Play music through USB in the car

ROCKHOPPER71

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
My 2012 Volt has the same issue. I guess it works with MyLink but not without. iPhone worked flawlessly. This is a real bummer and by far the most frustratin part of owning this phone. Also however I do not get any phone lists ever uploaded through Bluetooth. Call lists and contacts are always empty. Huge fail in my opinion and unless fixed will keep me from getting another Nokia phone.

o1legacygt

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
My 2012 Volt has the same issue. I guess it works with MyLink but not without. iPhone worked flawlessly. This is a real bummer and by far the most frustratin part of owning this phone. Also however I do not get any phone lists ever uploaded through Bluetooth. Call lists and contacts are always empty. Huge fail in my opinion and unless fixed will keep me from getting another Nokia phone.
Interesting, sounds like it might be a limitation of the BT in your car. My 13 vw Passat supports phonebook and call list. I know some cars require the phone to be connected for "multimedia" and "phone". My old subaru with the navigation would do that. I would end up only hearing the audio from the car and not have any contacts, but once I paired both modes of the car I was good to go. ;)

05Paris

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I've had the USB available in all my BMWs for some time but have found I'd rather just have a mini USB flash drive to have all my songs on and just keep it in the port so I have my phone to do other things. I actually prefer to charge my phones thru the powerport+USB.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Kia Forte Koup SX, same problem. Won't charge, media not found. Bluetooth works fine, but the car can't control it for some reason.

I never found Bluetooth connections allow me to control anything other than basic call functions even with my iPhone. The only times I got the controls to work was using the iPod connector.

DAIMONDY

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
My Sony stereo lets me charge, listen to music and take calls and listen to messages luckily. Its not the stereo that come with the car but it does everything for ?100 :)

Only annoyance is sometimes it doesn't automatically connect to bt but i hear that will be updated.

I take it there is no way of linking one of the buttons on the stereo to the windows button so i can call out without touching my phone??

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
My Sony stereo lets me charge, listen to music and take calls and listen to messages luckily. Its not the stereo that come with the car but it does everything for ?100 :)

Only annoyance is sometimes it doesn't automatically connect to bt but i hear that will be updated.

I take it there is no way of linking one of the buttons on the stereo to the windows button so i can call out without touching my phone??

Yeah that's the beauty of installing a half decent head unit into a car-it usually is about 100x better then whatever you had.

Chris Pumphrey

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Mine doesn't charge in my Lexus, but it does in my Dodge. I think it is the software in the vehicle that is the issue, as someone else said, cars are designed specifically for particular devices.

ololmarc

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I own a Hyundai Sonata 2012 which has a USB port that worked perfectly for listening to music on my iPhone. It doesn't work with my Lumia 920 however. Says can't read device or something along those lines. Any solutions? Has anyone had success playing music through USB in their car?
last time i checked, the sonata should have bluetooth compatibility. why don't you try that?

techygeek82

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Surprisingly playing music over USB works in my 2012 Chevy Equinox. It doesn't recognize any media with DRM (music downloaded via Xbox Music that isn't purchased), but tracks I move to the phone manually work just fine. My display panel lists it as a 'Windows Vista' type device (if I'm not mistaken, I'd have to verify tomorrow for sure)

wspaw

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I put a head unit into my car and it doesn't even recognize it on USB. I need to go AUX but on the bright side, you can have a bit of a rigged hands free if you get an aux cable with a mic. It's like $15 at walmart and works great.

I use a standard stereo cable and the mic on the phone stays active and works fine, unlike my Focus S and Titan II.

samsungATIVs

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Just got a Samsung ATIV S. Initially same issues on 2009 BMW 650i.
When plugging in you have to have the screen unlocked or it doesn't recognise.
When it does finally connect, go to songs but states cannot play media.
After doing some searching I tried an experiment that sort of worked.
Converted media (Songs) to WMA and hey it worked!
Then decided to convert all 20Gb. It is not working anymore.
Put a smaller (8gb) card in and its working for a few songs.
Will continue to try as I think there MUST be a work around...
Hope this helps someone....

tofu.

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Just got a Samsung ATIV S. Initially same issues on 2009 BMW 650i.
When plugging in you have to have the screen unlocked or it doesn't recognise.
When it does finally connect, go to songs but states cannot play media.
After doing some searching I tried an experiment that sort of worked.
Converted media (Songs) to WMA and hey it worked!
Then decided to convert all 20Gb. It is not working anymore.
Put a smaller (8gb) card in and its working for a few songs.
Will continue to try as I think there MUST be a work around...
Hope this helps someone....

doesnt work on my '08 idrive, I get USB device not supported error. BUT i didn't try it with the screen unlocked. Thanks for the tip

Although I think the older idrives never supported digital audio via usb or bluetooth (aside from calls). As far as i remember, the iphone hookup required aux be plugged in as well :(

I really just want to be able to stream my xbox music and control the volume/switch songs from my steering wheel

Nicholas Naderi

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Hey I was wondering if you knew why I am not able to change songs hands free when connecting my lumio 920 to the Bluetooth in the car. I have to change songs, pause and start through my phone and cannot access it through the cars system. It also does not show what song is playing, just says "MP3 Player". I know its not the biggest issue but its kind of annoying, and a bit dangerous when I have to change songs when I'm driving....

Let me know if you can help!

CapnPauly

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Hey I was wondering if you knew why I am not able to change songs hands free when connecting my lumio 920 to the Bluetooth in the car. I have to change songs, pause and start through my phone and cannot access it through the cars system. It also does not show what song is playing, just says "MP3 Player". I know its not the biggest issue but its kind of annoying, and a bit dangerous when I have to change songs when I'm driving....

Let me know if you can help!
My car is the same way.
My understanding is that this is based on the stereo you're using, as some stereos can control the phone. It must be based on the level of BT support the stereo has.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss