UK Portico update info?

how1ard

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
ALL OF YOU WITH UNLOCKED 820/920 PHONES PLEASE READ THIS THAT WAS SENT TO ME BY NOKIA:
" I have checked into this for you the answer is that not all IMEI’s (handset serial numbers) are going to have the update available at the same time this is simply because everyone would try and update their handset at the same time causing the update to crash. I have it on good authority that the update should be available to you very soon however I cannot specify exactly what batch your handset will be in."

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Then how it it that Apple can ensure all devices, doesn't matter which corner of the world and which carrier you use can ensure synchronous updates? If apple can do it, why can't Microsoft and Nokia provide similar functionality?

Its simple.

Apple was/is the biggest name in the mobile game, has a very small set of devices, and only does one update a year. If a telco doesn't do what Apple wants, Apple walk, and overnight a huge chunk of the telco's revenue is gone. Microsoft are only tiny in comparison, and the telcos really don't care if they annoy them.

I'm certain Microsoft are already having to pay telcos, to get them to do updates, where nobody else has to.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Stop spreading bull****, MS and Nokia dropped the ball, unlocked phones DO NOT NEED carrier certification and update is not here.

Calm down.

Unlocked phones are probably the most difficult to give updates to, if you think logically.

If you buy an unlocked phone, you expect it to run on any network, and you'd go ballistic if Microsoft gave you an update that broke your phone because you are using network X.

As such Microsoft/the OEM need to make sure they have the combined changes of all networks on an unlocked phone.

mick57

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
It's got nothing to do with Telcos for unlocked phones.The update will come from either a Microsoft or Nokia server and if I use WiFi to update my provider O2 will not even see it and even if I download over O2 it comes off my data allowance.

The question is with the small amount of unlocked phones on the market comparatively and the fact that there is NO Telco qualification for the update why are we waiting for the update. One of the reasons I bought the phone outright (Unlocked-mobiles.com) was to avoid being at the mercy of the carriers for updates.

I see no explanation for this in the comments above. Apple for example will not test their phones with all the worlds carriers they will made be to internationally agreed standards, GSM, 3g, LTE etc

Last edited:

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
It's got nothing to do with Telcos for unlocked phones

The update may not have anything to do with telcos, but if (for instance) Nokia know they have an bug on network X, then they would be idiots for allowing Microsoft to send the update to unlocked phones, knowing they will break any unlocked phones that connect to Network X.

Even if they put a huge red warning saying "DO NOT DOWNLOAD IF YOU USE NETWORK X", you can guarantee some people would, and then Nokia/Microsoft would get flak.

mick57

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I don't believe that is how phone manufacturers work.

They do not test all phones on all networks before releasing phones or software updates.

They release to international standards.

itsjonyay

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
You can download and install with Nokia Care Suite (annoyingly it wipes your phone) but stupidly not OTA. My phone started randomly restarting and I got annoyed, so I went on a search for stuff and found that it's possible to update using Nokia Care Suite (so I assume it's all ready to be pushed out... but they're lazy and haven't). I made a blog post with instructions but I'm sure there is more stuff scattered across the web. But yh, Nokia and MS need to hurry up and release this to UK unbranded customers!

Abdul Rahman Noor

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Unlocked Lumia 820 from UK.
I just got my Portico update today. Yay!

- First thing I noticed was that it turned up my brightness (usually have it set to low).
- Drafts for Text messages is a welcome addition (but annoying that it doesn't come with a button - you have to tap the "..." to expand the menu to access it)

Haven't tested the reject call with message or other features yet. Wondering what others are in store...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2