Scratches seen at AT&T store

palfor03

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I decided to check out the 920 in person today. It was magnificent and quite a sexy beast. However, I noticed that there were quite a few noticeable scratches on the screen. It reminded me of Gameboy Advance plastic scratches. It was mostly visible without the screen light on but very concerning. My current Samsung Focus Flash has a flawless screen and its been a year. I take care of my stuff. How do Lumia owners feel about the screen and scratches?

I did not notice the problem at all on the Htc 8x which I may end up getting.
Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Well, on the flip side, the 8X at my AT&T had all kinds of horrid scratches on the back, though that seemed to be from the stupid anti-theft device, like they decided to run it down the back of it over and over or something.

My 920 has one actual blemish, and its' not noticeable unless you turn the screen off, angle it to the light correctly, and have a distinct goal of finding THAT scratch. I know exactly where it is, and even then, it's tough to find immediately.

Seriously, there's no excuse for taking the 8X over the 920. Nokia Music's a FANTASTIC music app. The build quality is superb (I hate the feel of the 8X's body and the buttons are too flush to the body as well), and it was shown surviving heavy abuse in videos. HTC really doesn't have anything on Nokia on the software side. Even the Beats stuff, Nokia's got Dolby and an equalizer present that are good to the extent that I no longer carry my Zune HD with me. I mean, consider this:

8X: 4.3" 1280x720 display, 8 GB of storage ($100) or 16 GB of storage ($200), 2 or 3 color choices (not sure which are offered by AT&T, but I think just black and blue)
920: 4.5" 1280x768 display, 32 GB of storage ($100), 5 color choices (yellow and cyan are online-only choices), built-in wireless charging (only found on the Verizon 8X otherwise), free wireless charger (normally $50)

Since I personally think that 8 GB is nowhere near enough storage, you'd have to go 16 GB on the 8X. So, for twice the price of the 920, you get half the storage, no wireless charging, no free accessory, and none of the Nokia exclusives (Nokia Drive, Nokia Music, Nokia Transit, free, ad-supported versions of Draw Something and Words With Friends, and a LOT more that I'm forgetting). Unless you have extremely small hands and are physically incapable of using the 920, the 8X is just an overall inferior device.

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
My screen is flawless. You never know how that demo AT&T phone was treated.. Maybe someone walked in, and put a key to that screen. Don't jduge the phone from a demo.

palfor03

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Well, on the flip side, the 8X at my AT&T had all kinds of horrid scratches on the back, though that seemed to be from the stupid anti-theft device, like they decided to run it down the back of it over and over or something.

My 920 has one actual blemish, and its' not noticeable unless you turn the screen off, angle it to the light correctly, and have a distinct goal of finding THAT scratch. I know exactly where it is, and even then, it's tough to find immediately.

Seriously, there's no excuse for taking the 8X over the 920. Nokia Music's a FANTASTIC music app. The build quality is superb (I hate the feel of the 8X's body and the buttons are too flush to the body as well), and it was shown surviving heavy abuse in videos. HTC really doesn't have anything on Nokia on the software side. Even the Beats stuff, Nokia's got Dolby and an equalizer present that are good to the extent that I no longer carry my Zune HD with me. I mean, consider this:

8X: 4.3" 1280x720 display, 8 GB of storage ($100) or 16 GB of storage ($200), 2 or 3 color choices (not sure which are offered by AT&T, but I think just black and blue)
920: 4.5" 1280x768 display, 32 GB of storage ($100), 5 color choices (yellow and cyan are online-only choices), built-in wireless charging (only found on the Verizon 8X otherwise), free wireless charger (normally $50)

Since I personally think that 8 GB is nowhere near enough storage, you'd have to go 16 GB on the 8X. So, for twice the price of the 920, you get half the storage, no wireless charging, no free accessory, and none of the Nokia exclusives (Nokia Drive, Nokia Music, Nokia Transit, free, ad-supported versions of Draw Something and Words With Friends, and a LOT more that I'm forgetting). Unless you have extremely small hands and are physically incapable of using the 920, the 8X is just an overall inferior device.
great response. I was going to get a 8x for .01 cent Amazon wireless though!

Lumia is 70 there. Plus I liked the bathroom and the day time shots can hold their own.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Oh, I verbally went "I liked the bathroom???"

The $70 difference does make it compelling, though. Is that $0.01 for the 8 GB or 16 GB version of the device? As I mentioned, I couldn't handle 8 GB on my phone. I'm at 22.2 GB used on my phone. I have 1,850 songs (exactly, haha) for 12.04 GB, 5 videos for 1.78 GB, .92 GB of podcasts (that I need to delete; I just wanted to see what some were like), and 2.24 GB of apps. If I have managed 2 GB in apps in 30 days (got this 11/9), where will I be after 2 years? Granted, I can/should delete many of the apps I DLed (games I just messed with a little and/or will mess with a little), but if you like to use your phone for music or watching videos (I do) or you take a lot of photos or videos yourself (I don't), 8 GB is going to get really sad really fast.

If you're willing to consider the $70 Amazon deal, you'd do well to just pay the extra $30 to get the phone at an AT&T store that day AND get the free wireless charger (though they ship them to your house upon purchase, rather than handing you one there that day).

palfor03

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Oh, I verbally went "I liked the bathroom???"

The $70 difference does make it compelling, though. Is that $0.01 for the 8 GB or 16 GB version of the device? As I mentioned, I couldn't handle 8 GB on my phone. I'm at 22.2 GB used on my phone. I have 1,850 songs (exactly, haha) for 12.04 GB, 5 videos for 1.78 GB, .92 GB of podcasts (that I need to delete; I just wanted to see what some were like), and 2.24 GB of apps. If I have managed 2 GB in apps in 30 days (got this 11/9), where will I be after 2 years? Granted, I can/should delete many of the apps I DLed (games I just messed with a little and/or will mess with a little), but if you like to use your phone for music or watching videos (I do) or you take a lot of photos or videos yourself (I don't), 8 GB is going to get really sad really fast.

If you're willing to consider the $70 Amazon deal, you'd do well to just pay the extra $30 to get the phone at an AT&T store that day AND get the free wireless charger (though they ship them to your house upon purchase, rather than handing you one there that day).
yeah memory isn't a biggie to me. I just take the songs I like at the moment and have a few games. Wireless charging does look good, specially since I use my phone on darkness before I sleep.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
My screen is flawless. You never know how that demo AT&T phone was treated.. Maybe someone walked in, and put a key to that screen. Don't jduge the phone from a demo.

Seriously. Almost every electronic device with a screen on it that is on display winds up mangled sooner or later. This is nothing new and hardly unique to the 920. It does not represent what you should expect from normal wear and tear at all and is nothing to be concerned about.

pookiewood

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
The Lumia 920 can get hairline scratches. After seeing the scratched on my phone I went ahead and got Ghost Armor on mine. I went ahead and got it done but a guy in the mall instead of doing it by myself like usual.

UnfixedPyle

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'll have to say that I'm really not a fan of the newer screens. My original Samsung Focus was flawless except for 2 scratches that I managed to put on it, but those were brutal conditions that did it. My L920 after the 1st week already had 2 faint scratches on it. I looked at my brothers GS3 and he has a ton of these little hair like scratches. You can't see them unless the screen is off and you putt the light just right to have a glare on them. It is frustrating just knowing that they are there though. From what I have researched the scratches are not in the glass, but in the oleophobic (sp?) coating over the glass. I don't believe that my Focus has this. It is very apparent though that the glass on the L920 is much slicker and does not show fingerprints as much as the Focus so I guess there are tradeoffs.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
It was probably someone from here freaked out about the screen scratching postings. They when to your store and tried like **** to scratch up the screen. I remember someone here posting they did that.

ynight

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
great response. I was going to get a 8x for .01 cent Amazon wireless though!

Lumia is 70 there. Plus I liked the bathroom and the day time shots can hold their own.

Sorry but what about bathroom again?

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99