Unlocked Rogers L920 Internet Tethering working, steps

onlineharvest

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure if this has been posted elsewhere, or burried within another thread, but I thought I'd share easy steps to get Internet Sharing, as well as MMS working on unlocked Rogers L920, working on other networks (mine is running on the Bell/Virgin towers). This means no more waiting to have a fully functional unlocked phone.

1. Download 'Access Point'. If browsing on your L920, go to this link:
access point | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
Or, you can scan the QR code below:
create-qr-code

2. Go into SETTINGS > cellular and delete your "internet apn" and "mms apn" - you do this by going into each screen and hitting the 'trash can' icon. Just for good measure, ensure you have this info written down for reference. This step is important. If you previously set these values to have data and MMS working, they will not work when access point is activated.

3. Go into SETTINGS > access point, should be at the bottom of your System settings. ACTIVATE your cellular provider (in my case, Virgin Mobile)

MMS and Internet Sharing should work!
This was for an unlocked Rogers L920 on another Canadian carrier, but I'm guessing this would work for other carriers as well. Post your successes or problems so we know what works and what doesn't.

onlineharvest

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
How and where to unlock? With Rogers it's $50 right? I wonder if Pacific Mall have stores that can unlock this yet
Thus far, 3rd party unlockers have been successful, but at a cost of $40 (cellunlocker). IMO, if you're in Canada and want one quick, why wait for a relatively nominal difference - and you know Rogers can unlock it.

onlineharvest

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
BTW, after the update, Internet Sharing and MMS stopped working.
All I needed to do what re-activate the access point provider (in my case, just pick another provider, then reselect correct one).
Back to normal. :)

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure if this has been posted elsewhere, or burried within another thread, but I thought I'd share easy steps to get Internet Sharing, as well as MMS working on unlocked Rogers L920, working on other networks (mine is running on the Bell/Virgin towers). This means no more waiting to have a fully functional unlocked phone.

1. Download 'Access Point'. If browsing on your L920, go to this link:
access point | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
Or, you can scan the QR code below:
http://api.qrserver.com/v1/create-q...95c7-01d0-4daf-a4c3-25c10463942d&size=145x145

2. Go into SETTINGS > cellular and delete your "internet apn" and "mms apn" - you do this by going into each screen and hitting the 'trash can' icon. Just for good measure, ensure you have this info written down for reference. This step is important. If you previously set these values to have data and MMS working, they will not work when access point is activated.

3. Go into SETTINGS > access point, should be at the bottom of your System settings. ACTIVATE your cellular provider (in my case, Virgin Mobile)

MMS and Internet Sharing should work!
This was for an unlocked Rogers L920 on another Canadian carrier, but I'm guessing this would work for other carriers as well. Post your successes or problems so we know what works and what doesn't.

Awesome, this worked on unlocked Rogers 920 on ATT.

I did not use step 2.

In step 3, I chose AT&T - LTE 2 - Lumia.

Not sure what LTE 1 will do. There is also ATT 3G, I guess that is a way to disable LTE?

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Awesome, this worked on unlocked Rogers 920 on ATT.

I did not use step 2.

In step 3, I chose AT&T - LTE 2 - Lumia.

Not sure what LTE 1 will do. There is also ATT 3G, I guess that is a way to disable LTE?

a bit too premature. it worked for a few mins, then stopped. says I have to contact ATT. Did that, registered my IMEI with them, but still has the error message. ATT tech said I have to master reset the phone. I havent tried that it.

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I removed the 5 gb plan with the 3 gb plan, then restore the 5 gb plan by using myATT app. I also added a Russian keyboard. Now internet sharing is working. No only that, it now supports up to 8 users. Prior to doing this, it supported only 5, as indicated on the phone.

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
it stopped working after a few hrs. doing keyboard trick again works once more, but it also lasts only briefly.

anyone else got rogers 920 working on ATT?

thedumbkid

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
Has anyone got this to work for long periods of time instead of just enabling for a short while?

I used the access point app to get internet sharing to work on Wind network in Canada. However, every time I enable sharing it would only work for couple minutes before phone internet stops working. My cable internet was down for couple days, so I really get to know that internet sharing on my L920 doesn't stay on for long.

Gurpreet1

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I wasn't able to get it working. Still get the "Connection not shared screen" when I try to turn on sharing. On a unlocked rogers lumia 920 also on the virgin network. Followed your directions exactly.

onlineharvest

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
hope someone tech savvy cant fix this. this is the only issue I'm not happy about my lumia. everything else is awesome.

Just to be sure, do you have any manual APN settings inputted? If so, delete them.
After an update, you also need to deactivate and reactivate the access point for it to work.
I can confirm that thethering was operational more than a few minutes... I'm on Virgin/Bell network though.

ipeefreeli

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
It's stopped working after the update for me, and it won't let me deactivate the access point, probably because I only access to just Wind's network.

onlineharvest

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
It's stopped working after the update for me, and it won't let me deactivate the access point, probably because I only access to just Wind's network.

You need to create a new access point (even a dummy one), so you can activate another point, and then RE activate the correct one. This is necessary after every update I have done, even minor ones. It too MIGHT be necessary after a hard reboot.

You'll see "Add" at the bottom of the page in your 'Access Point' program

SimpsOFF

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm with Koodo, and downloading the Access Point app from the link listed, in combination with downloading another keyboard language, and doing a couple swaps back and forth in access point, and actually setting everythign to IPv4 only (not IPv4v6) and eventually it worked for me... i'm not sure exactly what combination or which order fixed it though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium