Portico Update Feedback

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Battery was consistently draining about 2% per half hour with about 5 background tasks going on. After running into another problem, did a hard reset and today, I had about 80% left afte about 10 hours that included 5 background tasks, 30 minutes on the phone, and about 15-20 minutes of just reading news on the phone. Pre-reset, it would be down to 50%.

EMINENT 1

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
My issues: Post Portico

1. Bluetooth in car radio. I have aftermarket Pioneer and phone will connect, no freezes after the update where it did before. However, I have to put in the pair code every time. My old 900 never needed to put in the code except the first pair. My bluetooth headset works fine.
2. Brightness on auto. Notice this happens in a dimly lit room more often. Tried the dark room calibration to no avail. Also, display does not reappear during phone call when pulled away from face. Noticed blowing into front camera near the sensor brings it back. This is definitely a sensor calibration issue.
3. Random battery drain. I've tried battery discharge and that seemed to help a bit. Still having drain issues on idle. I'll go to sleep at 100% and when I wake 6 hours later, I have 96% with Facebook app installed. If I delete Facebook, i'll wake to 100% after 6-7 hours of sleep. Settings are: no toast, no lockscreen backgrounds, no chat. Only things running in the background are Accuweather, Battery Status, and The Weather Channel.

Still have the Xbox music playlist/app sync issue, but that's a whole other can of worms...

If these things didn't exist and there was Instagram and Pandora apps available, constant battery reports instead of 30 minute updates, ability to drop down the battery level anywhere, actual sync to W8 that worked, inability to view/click on certain elements in Internet Explorer, (sites like Academy Sports and Wal mart where you try to enter in a zip code to find locations do not work), inability to view animated GIF files outside of the browser, (i.e. messaging app, in photo viewer, etc.) this might/could be the baddest phone ever.

Until then, i've debated going back to the darkside. Can't imagine how others feel.

Last edited:

TheDoctre

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
I've hit an interesting bug with my Lumia 920 (AT&T) after the Portico update. I have 2 Wi-Fi networks defined. One for work and one for home. After a reboot of the phone it will connect to the Wi-Fi at the location I'm currently in (Work or Home). When I leave that location Wi-Fi reports that its still active and connected to that network. If I turn Wi-Fi off and back on it clears that condition. However, I can now no longer connect to the other network. So I leave home in the morning and my phone was connected to my home network. I get to work and the phone says its still connected to my home network and is reporting full signal. I turn Wi-Fi off an back on and that connection no longer shows. I then try to connect to the Wi-Fi at work and the phone reports "Connection unsuccessful, Your phone couldn't reach the Wi-Fi network office. However, if I reboot the phone it connects up no problem. But now I'm left with the issue that when I go home I get the same "Connection unsuccessful..." message when I attempt to reconnect to my network at home. I factory reset the phone last night and that didn't solve the issue. I wasn't having this problem with the pre-Portico firmware. Anyone else seeing this behavior?

klcow

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
is it safe to flash back to the original firmware? or downgrading from 1232.5951.1249.1002 to 1232.5951.1249.1001? this is so new to me. i read flashing a downgrade version of firmware may cause brick to your device. can anyone tell me? many thanks in advance

you can downgrade with no issues

camptime

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Just a quick note to anyone who lives in Thailand and dose not have the update. Go to Nokia care and complain and they will flash you phone for free. My 920 is now running firmware- 1232.2109.1242.1002. The camera is so much better with daytime photos now. I will keep an eye on battery life as well as some days I was only getting 8 hours.

Last edited:

gumpert7

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Love the new features. Only two bad things left.

1. Battery life is worse now, I hardly get 11 hours on minimal use. Ugh!
2. Fix the music DRM issue! I've already went over my 2GB plan for the month and it doesn't roll over for another 2 weeks. Ughhh. I should not have to stream music, I want it on my phone.

Weird I'm able to dload and listen to all my music offline with no issues

Fitu Pham

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Just a quick note to anyone who lives in Thailand and dose not have the update. Go to Nokia care and complain and they will flash you phone for free. My 920 is now running firmware- 1232.2109.1242.1002. The camera is so much better with daytime photos now. I will keep an eye on battery life as well as some days I was only getting 8 hours.

Hey, thanks for your info, how long it take to flash that? and is all the data (photos, apps, musics, videos) on the phone ereased?
Thanks a lot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Weird that after the update my 920 still gets really hot for some tasks. In fact, it's pretty warm right now -_-
this is one reason why this will probably be my last Nokia device. Mine gets really hot as well.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

brmbjn

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
i am from indonesia
i am use provider telkomsel
can i update firmware my nokia 920 ??
where can i download firmware ??
i am use nokia care suite
why cant connect with my lumia 920 ??
thanks

kanisian

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
i am from indonesia
i am use provider telkomsel
can i update firmware my nokia 920 ??
where can i download firmware ??
i am use nokia care suite
why cant connect with my lumia 920 ??
thanks
There's a tutorial explaining how to manually update your firmware somewhere in the forum. I followed that to update my Indonesian 920 and it worked like a charm. Do take note though that it will void your warranty. ;)

DFB

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I actually just did a random update check and it found some, how do I know if it's Portico ? (it stayed glued as Serpico on my memory sack :)) ) and it's Romania mind you..

15 minutes later, still preparing to install..

Last edited:

SergeMcG

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Updated to Portico yesterday. All went and is going very well. Definitely some minor improvements in many areas.
I don't see the VPN feature that was rumored to be included. What a pain, when we will get one? Is there anything I could do to use a VPN on WP8?

asmith02

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
My story:
Purchased unbranded and unlocked Nokia 920 in December.
Continual much reported rebooting issue until in early January it rebooted then crashed never to boot up again. It would boot up to the Nokia logo screen then a blue windows screen with no Windows Phone logo, then just go back to a rebooting cycle.
Took it to Nokia Care who flashed it with the Portico update. Lost all my photos as Skydrive cleverly set to upload sh1tty low res images. Booted up the phone again and no info about using skydrive backup to restore phone so had to reinstall/reconfigure all apps. Gotta say, no local backup option is a joke.

No random reboots occurring after Portico update and photos are noticeably better quality than before. Also figured out that if I change phone region to U.S. it allows the syncing of full res images and video to Skydrive - why this is only available in the US region setup I don't know...

Today however, I went to check my phone... dead. Had to hold the volume down/lock for what seemed like 20 seconds to get it back to life. Must have been a severe crash as phone date and time were set back to 1st Sep 2012 00:00.

I really want to like WP8 - the design and UI is excellent along with many other features others have mentioned. But it is hard work. Yes iOS is boring and not as well integrated as WP8 however I will give it until Apollo+ to sort out these issues as a smartphone is a tool that needs to be reliable and WP8 is anything but.

Suedezu

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
first thought: it might be the excitement but I don't think the phone gets as hot anymore!

Hi,

I am also from Romania and intend on buying the 920 when it's available at Orange. I suppose you bought it neverlocked.

How do you like the phone? Do you have any issues with it? How's call quality and battery life?

Thanks in advance!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills