Xbox music pass worthwhile?

ynight

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
So I have this Xbox annual pass from my surface purchase but never used it since the PC version comes with a free ad version already. Now as I'm getting deeper and deeper(happily so)into Microsoft ecosystem, I'm considering getting a subscription of Xbox music.

So here's my question. What're the main differences that make the paid version better? Does it allow you to download music as much as you want? Please share your experience😊. I'm in no way a heavy music guy, so selling it seems quite appealing to me as well..
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

rdifiori

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Frankly, no. If you do a search of DRM issues with xbox music and WP8 and Windows 8, you'll see there are a lot of problems. You stream but you cannot play any downloaded content (even content you own that you put on the xbox cloud, like music from your own CDs). Until they fix these issues, you may only be able to listen to streamed content, which is lower quality, among other things.

Here's just one example post: http://wmpoweruser.com/drm-issues-hitting-windows-phone-8-xbox-musicxbox-video-users/

Everything was fine with me until a monthly auto-bill/renewal occurred. After that, all downloaded music was de-authorized. Deleting and downloading again does not help. I spent hours trying to fix it and finally gave up.

Last edited:

ynight

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Frankly, no. If you do a search of DRM issues with xbox music and WP8 and Windows 8, you'll see there are a lot of problems. You stream but you cannot play any downloaded content (even content you own that you put on the xbox cloud, like music from your own CDs). Until they fix these issues, you may only be able to listen to streamed content, which is lower quality, among other things.

Here's just one example post: http://wmpoweruser.com/drm-issues-hitting-windows-phone-8-xbox-musicxbox-video-users/

Everything was fine with me until a monthly auto-bill/renewal occurred. After that, all downloaded music was de-authorized. Deleting and downloading again does not help. I spent hours trying to fix it and finally gave up.

Wow they can reauthorize your already downloaded stuff? That's actually quite impressive...yet bad for users. I guess I'll just sell the pass and check back later. Hopefully they get the Xbox music right.
Thanks for the info
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

awesomeindeed

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I've used Zune/Xbox Music since the day it came out, and it's been great ever since. I have had zero issues with XBM and Windows 8 + Win Phone 8 + Xbox 360.

Edwincnelson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Yes you can download as much music as you want. One thing to remember. There is no transfer from PC to the phone (at least with windows 7) so you'll need to download your music to your phone separately. I've had a pass for the last 2 years and its great.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb