Thinking About Buying the 920 unlocked from AT&T

IndieAdmirer

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone, pretty new to the boards, although I have had my HTC Radar for T-Mobile for almost a year now. I was thinking of buying an unlocked 920 from AT&T or waiting for the Samsung Ativ S to be announced with US carriers since my Radar has been glitchy as of recently.
I'm not necessarily that educated on how unlocked phones from different carriers work, but I know that that the cellular radios on the 920 doesn't include the frequencies that T-Mobile uses (or something along the lines of that). I don't have a data plan on my phone (I have access to WiFi most of my day so no real need for a data plan) so I was wondering if the unsupported cellular bands on the 920 is only for 3G/4G, or all types of cellular activity like making/receiving calls as well. I wouldn't mind having a 920 on T-Mobile even if it meant no data plan; it's such an awesome phone!
Thanks for the help guys! :grin:

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
ATT will not have unlocked phones until their exclusivity ends. You can buy it off contract and wait five months but until then you can't use it with any other carrier

IndieAdmirer

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Really? Well damn it then. I was really looking into the 920 as a replacement phone. Might have to wait for the Samsung Ativ S to be released in the US then. Thanks!

IndieAdmirer

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Well I'm using an old family plan from a couple years back. I only would need to use the phone's cellular activity for talk+text. I just want to know if I somehow unlock the phone, would I be able to use it on t-mobile's network.

ARVI_SD

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Really? Well damn it then. I was really looking into the 920 as a replacement phone. Might have to wait for the Samsung Ativ S to be released in the US then. Thanks!

how are you so sure that Ativ S will be released/sold as unlocked? it could be same story as L920 (exclusivity) - just sayin

prometheusdc

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I was in an AT&T store a few hours ago in downtown DC to see if they had the cyan 920 (they don' t) and I overheard a customer speaking with a rep who sounded like he knew what he was talking about . He was saying the customer could buy the 920 without a contract, but that AT&T would not give him an unlock code -- he would have to get that from a "third party". FWIW...

Gundeep Singh

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I believe, unlock codes are available for atleast some batch of AT&T phones online. I know, it can be unlocked in India.
Hiya! im from India. Can you please elaborate and help me out. My brother is getting me this phone from USA in first week of jan. Im very anxious about getting it unlocked. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

devil.insulted

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Guys I am from India and I have this phone from AT&T.
I have contacted cellunlock to get the unlock code and trying different ways to pursue AT&T to provide me the unlock code.
I was not successful so far but well I would say even with 3 months of wait for exclusivity to run out this is a good deal $500 from US and in India it might be around Rs. 36,000 it will be 10K Cheaper for me after 3 months.
Unlock codes will be available then.

eshy

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
You already got the answer about unlocking it. As far as the T-Mobile frequencies go, they've been changing things to support the iPhone. My old Lumia 800 now works fine on their network (it also only supports the AT&T 3G bands). I think LTE would work as well, once T-Mobile upgrades

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss