When auto brightness changes to high screen looks grainy + pixelated for a second then adjusts

drg

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Have had a couple minor issues with my 920 I'm not too fussed about and tomorrow will be 1 week since I got the phone so wondering if I need to go back and try get a replacement before they tell me they will need to send it for repairs instead.

So this issue is basically that I have my brightness set on auto. As soon as sunlight hits it it goes to high and for about 1 - 2 seconds it looks like the brightness goes too high because the image screen looks super bright and the images on the screen are grainy and pixelated. Then it adjusts and every thing is crisp a fine. I tried taking a screen shot of it but the screen shot comes out fine and so I'm fairly sure it's just an issue with the actual brightness. On a good note that super brightness is super readable in sunlight :) I'm positive it is going to some super high setting for that second because if I turn it off auto and set it too high it doesn't happen.

Anyone else getting this and any thoughts if a software update may fix it or should I return?

Thanks.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Mine does the same thing. I am hoping the update fixes it. I don't know that its an issue that needs fixing.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
With Auto Brightness turned on and Brightness set to Low, my screen is brighter than Medium or High. Was it this way before? The screen seems darker than before when set to medium. Sunlight adjust is turned on, battery saver is turned off but the auto adjust for battery saver is turned on.

My screen was auto adjusting an hour before sunset in a slightly dark room with big tv flashing 15 feet away. I think the change of light was causing the display to tweak out.

Icbuono5

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
My phone does the same but I am 100% sure that its suppose to do that...is 1-2 seconds really that bothersome to you that you have to think its a problem, please consider that this phone has substantially better viewing quality in sunlight than any other smartphone.

drg

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
no doesn't bother me but I'm wondering if my phone is one of those phones with a few little problems and wondering if it's worth returning for a new one. I've posted 3 issues on these forums (tiles flickering a red colour for a split moment, phone getting stuck on dim display and not turning it off hence killing battery and this one) and yeah they are all very minor and don't bother me much at all but they adding up so wondering if I got a bung device which I know can happen and if a quick swap will remove these issue then I'll be a much a happier camper :)

@InnocuousScreenname keep us updated if the update fixed this. thanks :)

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Mine does this as well. Reboot and it says medium brightness but it is really high brightness, I have to toggle it to something else then back to medium for it to really be medium

barracuda1187

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
This happens to mine, but doesn't seem to cause any real usability issues, so I don't look at it as a real problem.

There are certainly other things I'd rather see them work on first.

Icbuono5

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I have my brightness on auto and I'm pretty sure it just stays on low until light directly hits the light sensor but after that it returns to normal/low brightness.

Skeleknights

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Have had a couple minor issues with my 920 I'm not too fussed about and tomorrow will be 1 week since I got the phone so wondering if I need to go back and try get a replacement before they tell me they will need to send it for repairs instead.

So this issue is basically that I have my brightness set on auto. As soon as sunlight hits it it goes to high and for about 1 - 2 seconds it looks like the brightness goes too high because the image screen looks super bright and the images on the screen are grainy and pixelated. Then it adjusts and every thing is crisp a fine. I tried taking a screen shot of it but the screen shot comes out fine and so I'm fairly sure it's just an issue with the actual brightness. On a good note that super brightness is super readable in sunlight :) I'm positive it is going to some super high setting for that second because if I turn it off auto and set it too high it doesn't happen.

Anyone else getting this and any thoughts if a software update may fix it or should I return?

Thanks.

If you had it for a week, have you update the phone from the marketplace? I too had the issue but now its resolved from the update. Porticos updated as well. I don't know if this helps but hopefully it does.

drg

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
If you had it for a week, have you update the phone from the marketplace? I too had the issue but now its resolved from the update. Porticos updated as well. I don't know if this helps but hopefully it does.

no haven't got any updates yet. I'm in Australia and looks like we getting portico in February but if the update fixes this then I'll hold onto the phone. Thanks.

InnocuousScreenname

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Update:

The grainy/pixelated display when hit by direct sunlight issue HAS NOT been addressed by the Portico update, at least when it comes to my device. It isn't really a bother, but I thought inquiring minds would like to know.

drg

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
ok, well my issue has gotten worse so wondering if anyone elses has as well. still don't have Portico yet though to check if that fixes the issues but it's due here in the next week or 2 so hopefully should find out soon. but basically if my phone is in direct sunlight the super brightness/pixely screen occurs and it stays that way till i'm out of sunlight. previously as mentioned it would happen for a couple seconds then adjust itself. now it doesn't adjust itself and it's now annoying because the screen is harder to read and here in Perth Australia the sun shines bright here probably about 80% of the year and so when i'm strolling through the city it happens often :)

If Portico doesn't fix i'll be sending it to Nokia Care to get fixed. Hopefully they'll replace the screen as well cause it's got a nasty scratch on it from when i took the phone to the beach (did I mention we have lovely beaches here in Perth as well) and as careful as i was, one nasty sand grain got to my screen and scratched it :(

drg

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
i found out a couple weeks ago that if i set the brightness to manual, then select medium and then select auto this issue doesn't occur. the auto brightness seems to work just fine like this as well. i also just today got portico and can confirm this doesn't fix the issue if the manual setting is set to high. still debating whether to send it back to nokia. i haven't got a spare phone to use but will do in a couple weeks so when i get the spare phone i may send it back to see if they think it's an issue and fix it.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
i found out a couple weeks ago that if i set the brightness to manual, then select medium and then select auto this issue doesn't occur. the auto brightness seems to work just fine like this as well. i also just today got portico and can confirm this doesn't fix the issue if the manual setting is set to high. still debating whether to send it back to nokia. i haven't got a spare phone to use but will do in a couple weeks so when i get the spare phone i may send it back to see if they think it's an issue and fix it.
This means that the algorithm that controls the gain is not a converge loop, some tiny but deadly bug in some other case.

hamzie11

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
PLEASE READ

The 'grainy' appearance is a FEATURE not a BUG . It is useful in seeing the phone in direct sunlight.
If you dont want this FEATURE, you can TURN IT OFF IF you have portico

Go to settings, display+touch and turn off sun readability.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3