Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 314
Like Tree44Likes
  1. Visual360's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    124 Posts
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    #51  
    Here are some pics I took after the update. This is SOC (no flash, no AF assist, rest is default), and looks pretty good to me.


    wp_20121219_011.jpgwp_20121219_022.jpgwp_20121219_026.jpgwp_20121219_029.jpgwp_20121219_030.jpgwp_20121219_031.jpg
  2. #52  
    Mine definitely still blurs after taking pictures. Immediately upon taking the picture, it distorts a bit with blur unless I'm right on top of the item, such as the shots above me.
  3. ryuh3d's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    25 Posts
    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by joeynox View Post
    I saw no diff in his pictures other than him cropping them.
    For Christmas please get yourself a new monitor. I mean wow. You are either just lying for whatever reason (maybe you find it fun on the internet) or you need a new display.
  4. sjhippie's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    74 Posts
    #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by mdecker79 View Post
    Now that you say this I did notice it a few times when first turning my phone on and bringing it up so I can read it. Then it slightly pulsates and stops.

    Odd..
    Yeah, there is def. something wrong. I don't know if the sensitivity is bugged or what, but outside in consistent light it was ok, now that I'm inside (in consistent light) it's pulsing up and down again. When it goes down it's nearly unusable... ugh.
    Kei Square likes this.
  5. Zolotoy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    223 Posts
    #55  
    What exactly are you talking about, guys? Is it pulsing on the lock screen? Or after you unlock the phone?
  6. sjhippie's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    74 Posts
    #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolotoy View Post
    What exactly are you talking about, guys? Is it pulsing on the lock screen? Or after you unlock the phone?
    After it's unlocked. Scrolling up and down the start screen makes it fade in and out and and sub menus etc. Basically everything after the lock screen
  7. Zolotoy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    223 Posts
    #57  
    I cannot scroll my Start screen up and down, due to available room, I presume. But scrolling to the left to get Programs is not creating any side effect.
  8. Ricky C's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    #58  
    I returned my Lumia 920 went back to the iPhone, then decided to get the 920 with a DSLR. I like to take snap shots of my cats with my DSLR, transfer them to my skydrive on my PC to Lumia.Then I text them to my wife's iPhone and she post them on Instgram with the Earlybird Filter. My wife then texts it back to me because I like to have the Earlybird filter on on my pics. I know it seems like a ton of work but I expect a certain quality to every sanpshot I take, especially if I take Pics of my Kitties
    Last edited by Ricky C; 12-19-2012 at 03:47 PM.
  9. smoledman's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,278 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,312 Global Posts
    #59  
    So the consensus is the photos are still blurry.
  10. AgentTheGreat's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    63 Posts
    #60  
    Guys me and my friend had a big discussion about this issue on another phone (SE J20 Hazel feature phone) because when I looked at the scene through the camera, everything was sharp. The moment I took the picture and it was saved, the 100% size picture looked soft on the phone's display. I thought the JPEG compression algorithm screwed it up and compressed it too much when saving the picture. We talked a lot and my friend made a good point:

    When you zoom in on the picture, the details are there. When you look at the whole picture, it's blurred. Why? If the picture actually has good details, why would it get blurred at full screen (on the phone)? Then we settled that the algorithm for actually showing the picture on the display was different than when the camera was engaged and sent its input directly to the display.

    To summarize, your pictures are actually sharp. You can see the sharpness on a PC monitor or your TV, but it is the phone's display that softens the picture when showing it.
    Try it. Take a photo, then zoom in to see if the details not visible at 100% are actually there. Then look at the picture on your laptop to get reassured ;)
    CyCl0n3 likes this.
  11. chrgeorgeson's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    100 Posts
    #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by joeynox View Post
    I saw no diff in his pictures other than him cropping them.
    Time for a new monitor.
  12. mdecker79's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    20 Posts
    #62  
    Mine only happens every now and then and I only noticed it about 3 or 4 times within the last few hours since the update.

    I have been on my phone a good amount the whole time so it's not very consistent for me.

    I only thought about it after the OP pointed it out and I realized it did in fact happen but it's hard for me to reproduce it.
  13. ZiiimZooon's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    82 Posts
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by chrgeorgeson View Post
    Time for a new monitor.
    Or new glasses ;)
    Kei Square likes this.
  14. smoledman's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,278 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,312 Global Posts
    #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentTheGreat View Post
    Guys me and my friend had a big discussion about this issue on another phone (SE J20 Hazel feature phone) because when I looked at the scene through the camera, everything was sharp. The moment I took the picture and it was saved, the 100% size picture looked soft on the phone's display. I thought the JPEG compression algorithm screwed it up and compressed it too much when saving the picture. We talked a lot and my friend made a good point:

    When you zoom in on the picture, the details are there. When you look at the whole picture, it's blurred. Why? If the picture actually has good details, why would it get blurred at full screen (on the phone)? Then we settled that the algorithm for actually showing the picture on the display was different than when the camera was engaged and sent its input directly to the display.

    To summarize, your pictures are actually sharp. You can see the sharpness on a PC monitor or your TV, but it is the phone's display that softens the picture when showing it.
    Try it. Take a photo, then zoom in to see if the details not visible at 100% are actually there. Then look at the picture on your laptop to get reassured ;)
    Then Microsoft should fix the algorithm that shows a worse image on the screen then the actual photo taken.
  15. joeynox's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    588 Posts
    Global Posts
    604 Global Posts
    #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryuh3d View Post
    For Christmas please get yourself a new monitor. I mean wow. You are either just lying for whatever reason (maybe you find it fun on the internet) or you need a new display.
    I honestly didn't see any great improvement in the detail of the images. It'd most likely just a hardware issue and Nokia tried to compensate by raising the sharpness which if it is raise to high will degrade image quality. Close up pictures come out pretty good but still lack that crispness that the godphone produces. Its a shame really that Nokia is so close but between wp8 lacking in many areas and the phone itself lacking in areas they will always be far behind. I have a L920 (I'm on my 3rd) I have a right to criticize . I don't sugar coat or hold hands.
    Luiskp likes this.
  16. Tim L's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1 Posts
    #66  
    The article indicates that the camera improvements are in firmware version PR1.1

    How can we check that today's update includes that change?

    Upcoming Nokia Lumia 920 PR1.1 Update To Improve Camera Performance | WMPoweruser
  17. michail71's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    659 Posts
    #67  
    I'm a picky SLR user and I'm happy with the camera update. The differences are clear as can be.

    The image file sizes are also larger now.

    Could the op have a dirty lense?
    jdhooghe likes this.
  18. michail71's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    659 Posts
    #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by joeynox View Post
    I honestly didn't see any great improvement in the detail of the images. It'd most likely just a hardware issue and Nokia tried to compensate by raising the sharpness which if it is raise to high will degrade image quality. Close up pictures come out pretty good but still lack that crispness that the godphone produces. Its a shame really that Nokia is so close but between wp8 lacking in many areas and the phone itself lacking in areas they will always be far behind. I have a L920 (I'm on my 3rd) I have a right to criticize . I don't sugar coat or hold hands.
    It wasn't a hardware issue. Everyone was seeing clear images in the live preview that looked like they suddenly were covered in Vaseline after capture. That was post processing of the jpeg which is all software.
  19. phirefly's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    339 Posts
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    #69  
    The extra Nokia settings are under Display+touch in settings. Wouldn't hurt to try disabling them.
    Thanked by:
  20. joeynox's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    588 Posts
    Global Posts
    604 Global Posts
    #70  
    Also I wanted to point out I didn't get the update so I can't say for sure how good it is. I was just commenting on the op and what I've read by others on the forum. But I use my camera on my phone everyday for work and need clarity/sharpness. The l920 does the job but when compared to the god phone or other flagships the images were off.
  21. rdifiori's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    215 Posts
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by michail71 View Post
    I'm a picky SLR user and I'm happy with the camera update. The differences are clear as can be.

    The image file sizes are also larger now.

    Could the op have a dirty lense?
    Nope, lense is perfectly clean. I'm looking at full-size shots uploaded to Skydrive via wifi. Post update, images may be slightly sharper than pre update. That said, I don't see how anyone could say there is a world of difference. I don't want to start the whole camera pissing contest rife with comments about getting a DSLR. For me, sharpness is very important. The camera has other incredible qualities for sure, but I just don't see how anyone can say it's sharp enough compared to other high-end smartphones. I wish it were sharper--I'd happily give up some of the low light performance for that.
    Alex Kj likes this.
  22. Daniel Rubino's Avatar
    Editor-in-chief

    Posts
    496 Posts
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim L View Post
    The article indicates that the camera improvements are in firmware version PR1.1

    How can we check that today's update includes that change?
    Well, because I told you it has it on the front page ;)

    Seriously, I'm in direct contact with Nokia and everything we posted about the camera fix in the last 24 hours is accurate and in this update.
    Daniel Rubino
    Editor in chief - Windows Phone Central
    Email: daniel@wpcentral.com
    Twitter: @Daniel_Rubino
    Socl: Daniel Rubino
  23. cruzcat's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    32 Posts
    #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by rdef View Post
    I just took a variety of shots inside and out. The camera is still very soft. I see no improvement to speak of. My Inspire 4G is still much, much sharper. Bummer...
    The pics from the new firmware definitely seem sharper compared to the original PR1.0. Dont know how it compares with Iphone5/Galaxy S3 but IMO pics look pretty good for a phone camera.
    The low light pics were already quite good and the upgrade seems to have increased the sharpness for daytime pics as well. Took a couple indoors after the upgrade. wp_20121219_020.jpg
    wp_20121219_045.jpg
    wp_20121219_047.jpg
    Tafsern and aaa6112 like this.
  24. SteveISU's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    147 Posts
    Global Posts
    964 Global Posts
    #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardinalryan View Post
    This is just dead wrong. My camera is worlds better after the update. I cannot stand when people blame companies for user error.

    Usually when one puts a question mark at the end of a sentence it indicates a question is being asked, not that a statement is being made. Clearly there are some here that are saying they see no difference, hence why I asked a question.
  25. michail71's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    659 Posts
    #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by joeynox View Post
    Also I wanted to point out I didn't get the update so I can't say for sure how good it is. I was just commenting on the op and what I've read by others on the forum. But I use my camera on my phone everyday for work and need clarity/sharpness. The l920 does the job but when compared to the god phone or other flagships the images were off.
    For the sensor size and lens I'd say it's about as good as it can get. To compare, the 808 is essentially a "real" P&S camera with a phone attached to it.

    There is a reason an SLR lens alone typically costs more than this phone does :).

    I'm just happy now that the firmware isn't destroying original sensor detail anymore.

    To me they feel about on par with an iPhone 5 now.
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. (Official) Lumia 900 bugs list
    By Dave Blake in forum Nokia Lumia 900
    Replies: 112
    Last Post: 12-31-2012, 12:45 PM
  2. Portico Update, Two severe Bing Maps Bugs!!!
    By Coolknight1968 in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-13-2012, 10:35 AM
  3. (Official) Lumia 900 bugs list [New Firmware]
    By Dave Blake in forum Nokia Lumia 900
    Replies: 160
    Last Post: 09-19-2012, 05:16 PM
  4. Ok guys, let's make a straightforward "bug" list...
    By J4rrod in forum Nokia Lumia 900
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-23-2012, 02:27 PM
  5. Slacker Radio Contest: WP7 Update wish list
    By George Ponder in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 03-11-2011, 09:12 PM

Posting Permissions