Portico Update Bug List

sjhippie

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: Post Update - Brightness pulsates

Spoke too soon. Any combination of the three makes it still fade all the way to low and t hen back up to high...sigh.

kbronctjr

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site

Mine works better than before the update. Before sometimes the screen got to a brightness level and didn't change when the light intensity change. Now it changes really fast

rdifiori

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: Just updated, and I see zero improvement in the camera

Yeah I think I gave a similar explanation at the end of page 2 of this thread but people blew past it!
Maybe so, but in the end it really doesn't matter whether or not people understand viewfinder versus stored image sharpness. The end result--the full size image--is still not as sharp as it should be. Also, calling someone "ignorant" probably isn't something they'd teach you at Dale Carnegie. :wink: I think "uninformed on the matter" will induce fewer negative responses...

Jmcwheeler

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site

Mine is doing it as well. Indoors only light I have tested in, but it seems to randomly get brighter and darker. Turning off auto brightness fixes it, but don't want to do that. Before update was the best auto brightness I've ever had on a mobile device.

sjhippie

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site

Mine works better than before the update. Before sometimes the screen got to a brightness level and didn't change when the light intensity change. Now it changes really fast

Yeah the big problem I'm having is in a bright room the screen drops to its lowest setting then immediately comes back up. If it stays at the lowest setting i cant even read the screen. It then repeats if there is even the slightest movement in the phone. Looks like ill just have to set it to medium and deal with it. It suks cause before the update the auto brightness was awesome.

UnfixedPyle

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I have read somewhere that using the front facing camera will help to re-calibrate the light sensor. Not sure if it is true but seems like it might be worth a shot.

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Maybe so, but in the end it really doesn't matter whether or not people understand viewfinder versus stored image sharpness. The end result--the full size image--is still not as sharp as it should be. Also, calling someone "ignorant" probably isn't something they'd teach you at Dale Carnegie. :wink: I think "uninformed on the matter" will induce fewer negative responses...

Problem is people here are making judgment based on the viewfinder image sharpness. They stare at the screen and notice sharpness step down after a shot and declare this update is no good. I tried to explain that's not the way to evaluate but some people don't seem to get it. I probably shouldn't be surprised by that.

BTW, you wrote you are seeing some improvement. Title of this thread you created doesn't match, no?

Radu Grama

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Out of focus photos after 12/19 update on L920

I was expecting to get sharper photos after the 12/19 update on my L920, instead I am experiencing out of focus or *really* out of focus photos. Anyone else seeing this?

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Out of focus photos after 12/19 update on L920

Oh here we go.

ew667.gif

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

Time to go for the Nokia 808 ....

Yeah right. Let me exchange my 4.5" screen and 1280x768 resolution and dual cores for a 3" screen with the resolution of a wristwatch and an obsolete and ugly OS.

If I cared THAT much about photography, I'd just get a DSLR that would put the 808 to shame.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

The image file sizes are also larger now.
Do you think they bumped down to jpeg processing from 90% to 95% ? (down because the higher the percentage, the lower the compression, better quality.. larger file) The only other reason would be if they are not filtering out as much noise as they did with the old algorithm..

ynight

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
RE: Post Update - Brightness pulsates

I'm not sure I understand you guys. So you are saying when you are scrolling the start screen, they brightness of the screen changes for no reason? Haven't noticed that if so, but I do notice that if the phone goes into battery saver, the screen dims even more..
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

Yeah right. Let me exchange my 4.5" screen and 1280x768 resolution and dual cores for a 3" screen with the resolution of a wristwatch and an obsolete and ugly OS.

If I cared THAT much about photography, I'd just get a DSLR that would put the 808 to shame.
The 808 is a much better smartphone than most people and bloggers make it out to be.. speaking from personal experience, I would say it holds its own against any smartphone currently on sale. I've been using it alongside an iPhone 5 for about 3 months now, and.. there is no way I will give it up for the iPhone 5.. maybe in certain situations, but overall the 808 is the better smartphone for my needs.

So.. different people, different needs. If you want to read an objective opinion on the matter.. check this out: Flagship head to head: Nokia 808 vs Lumia 920 vs Google Nexus 4

Same guys who did all the camera stuff and reviews for the 920..

As far as getting a DSLR ... if you have an 808 I would say that it covers 90% of what a amateur photographer (average user) might need. Again, speaking from experience.. I have a DSLR, yes an older one, but is a proper camera, and I don't really use as much as I do my 808..

In fact, so its not all bla bla .. last week a did a quick vs. with my D400, 808, and my iphone 5 .. take a look, see for yourself what the 808 is capable of:

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=424646b5863880eb#cid=424646B5863880EB&id=424646B5863880EB!3938

I don't know why skydrive put all the photos from the DSLR in the back.. but they are all there.

Still.. I am not sure why people keep expecting the 920 to perform like the 808.. that is simply not possible with the available hardware in the phone.

edit.
Here is how useless the iphone 5 is compared to the 808 when it comes to flash photography ...

iphone 5

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3