Updated and Battery is Worse!

tkuhe

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
So I am really trying to stay positive here but the battery is just killing me on my 920. I was hoping that Portico was going to help but so far it has not and may even be worse.
I am running out of ideas and am hoping someone has an idea for me?
NFC off
Bluetooth Off
Location Off
Battery saver on
lockscreen 1 min
brightness auto
3 email accounts updating every 15min
2 background apps - Weave, astronomy lockscreen, and weather but I just deleted that.

With little to no use here is a timeline
7:55 35% est 3hrs
7:57 34% est 2hrs
8:31 28% est 2hrs
9:45 17% est 7hrs
9:55 10% est less than 1hr

Any help would be appreciated.

Frek

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Wife and I both have 920's. Her phone a couple weeks back would not even last 4 hours on a full charge. She also complained that it was hot all the time. I'm sure you've checked this but just in case. I took her phone and held down the back arrow. There was a ton of apps open on her phone. I showed her how to close apps by hitting the back arrow until she got back to the start screen. She hasn't had a problem since.

I don't know which app she had open that was actively draining her battery so I can't offer advice on that.

tkuhe

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the quick replies.
NickA - I have restarted the phone twice now. First time immediately after Portico. Second after deleting a handful of apps.
Frek - I close down everything all the time as I have been paranoid about open apps and also still getting used to how to multi task in WP8.

Skeleknights

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Lock screen time out, change it to 30 second. For emails, if available, change it to "as item arrived" if not available, set it manually or 2 hours. Lets see how it goes. But first make sure you have battery saver on and drain the battery to 0%, when phone turned off itself, try turning it back on without charge till it actually turned it off itself right after you turned it on. The battery have some memory with charging cycles. Let me know if this help, and once you did all this tasks, charge the battery to the min of 10 hours. It should last longer without charge after a few charges.

corn_chowder

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
try changing your email update frequency to as they arrive or a longer duration. I had 4 email accounts updating as they arrive and saw a prettty big improvement by switching two of the less-used accounts to hourly updates. I'd think having it set to every 15 minutes would be worse than having it set to as they arrive, unless you're getting emails every minute.

I set my screen brightness to low and lockscreen to 30 seconds.

I don't have the update yet, but making the changes i listed above really improved my battery. Just yesterday my battery lasted two full days and I plugged in at around 35%. Hope this helps!

Trevor Phillips

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I would see if you can exchange the phone for a new one. I've had mine about a week and the battery life is GREAT compared to my old Android (Evo Shift). This has got to be your particular phone because so far I've been extremelly impressed. Sorry to hear you got a bad one. G'luck.

newfiend

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Try a soft reset first.. It could be a faulty phone as well.. I have had random instances where it seems an app gets stuck the phone gets warm at the top and the battery drains. I was hoping that the latest update would fix that.. Have you updated all the other Nokia apps etc posted on wpcentral? There have been multiple Nokia updates as of late.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The battery drain you're experiencing is the worse I've ever seen. I don't know if hard reseting the device will brick it again with portico or what but I want to know the battery drain of just the phone without apps

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
This has got to be a faulty phone. I don't think any amount of fixing or tweaking is going to change that. Take it back and get a non f'ed one

tkuhe

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
All my apps are up to date.
Below is the reply I received from Nokia regarding battery issues.
With regard to your concern about the battery life of your device and how it is being calculated as you are using your phone in the same patterns, we would like to inform you that there are a lot of factors why batteries drain fast. It will always depend on your usage and as it is a smart phone there are a lot of feature that may affect this. Kindly refer to the following for the probable reasons:

1. Nokia Drive offers a gives you free, turn-by-turn voice-guided navigation with additional features like speed limit warnings. To prevent any extra consumption of the device battery after completing the navigation, it is recommended to leave the Nokia Drive by using the back key (the arrow sign on the bottom left corner of the phone).
2. Some applications and games (for example Angry Birds Space and Angry Birds Star Wars) can drain the battery quite fast if left running in the background. When not using the app or playing the game please close the app using the Back key.
3. Email synchronization frequency. Make sure that in email settings (for example with Gmail) "Download new content" is not set on ‘as mail arrives’. Switch it to 15 mins, 30 mins etc.

Since there are many features in your Nokia Lumia phone increase the demand on battery power and reduce the battery life time. We suggest that to save battery power, please note of the following:

1. Turn on Battery Saver. Select Settings > battery saver. Note when Battery Saver is on, your phone will no longer: automatically receive email and calendar updates, update some Live Tiles and allow apps to run in the background.
2. When you have finished with an application or a game to navigate away, please use the Back key as this will close the app rather than leaving it active in the background.
3. Set the screen switch off after 30 seconds. On the start screen, swipe left, and select Settings > Lock+wallpaper (lock screen) > Screen times out.
4. Reduce the screen brightness. Select Settings > brightness > Level. Disable the automatic feature first. The brightness level also affects the Automatically adjust functionality.
5. Use network connections selectively. For example, if the signal strength of the mobile network varies much in your area, your phone must scan for the available network repeatedly. This increases the demand on battery power. If the 3G connection is on in the mobile network settings, your phone searches for the 3G network. To switch off the 3G connection, select Settings > mobile network, and deactivate the 3G connection.
6. Switch Bluetooth on only when you need it. Select Settings > Bluetooth.
7. Use a WiFi connection to connect to the internet, rather than a mobile data (GPRS or 3G) connection. Stop your phone scanning for available Wi-Fi networks if those are not available. Select Settings > WiFi > Off.
8. When you are finished taking a picture, press the Back key to exit the camera viewfinder.
9. Reduce the frequency of email synchronization. Select Settings > email+accounts > YourEmail > Download new content.
10. Switch off location services if not needed – so the phone will not look up your location frequently in the background. Select Settings > location > Off.
11. Disable unnecessary background applications. Especially Lumia 810, 820, 822 and 920 users; please check that Nokia Drive+ Beta app is blocked (set to Off) in background tasks. On the start screen, swipe left, and select Settings, from settings swipe left to Applications tab > Background tasks.
12. Use wired headphones, rather than the loudspeaker.
13. Switch off unwanted sounds and functions, for example Vibrate. Select Settings > ringtones+sounds.
14. Switch off “connect with Xbox LIVE” when not needed. Select Xbox LIVE > Settings > Connect with Xbox LIVE.
15. Ensure your phone's battery is fully charged. Check Settings > battery saver > battery information.

Note 1: It is recommended to use the original charger found in the sales package to charge the battery of your phone.

Note 2: Make sure that your phone is running the latest software to get battery related improvements. Please check also that your phone apps are up-to-date.

We also recommend the following link for the extend battery life of the Nokia Lumia 920:
http://www.nokia.com/us-en/support/...4FC707A61_FILE001.html&searchid=1354626935489

If the battery still drains faster even there is no active feature or applications, we suggest to try the following:

a. Try to switch Off the power and then switch back On.
b. Remove all the accounts that you have set up (except Microsoft account which requires a factory reset) and reconfigure them.
c. Reboot your device by pressing and holding your phone for 8 to 10 seconds and then enable airplane mode for 30 minutes then disable airplane mode. Doing this should reset the battery monitor to ensure the full capacity of the battery is available to you.

MaulerX

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
So far those three email accounts all checking for updates every 15 minutes seems to be the culprit. Ironically, I've read that you kill the battery faster by having your emails check every 15 minutes than say, having them pushed as they come in. If your emails don't have push notifications then set them for 2 hrs or even manually.

tkuhe

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I have a Cyan and will probably end up exchanging it as soon as more Cyans come available. Not that it matters but I also have the loose fit at the top of the phone between the poly and the glass. I can make it click by pressing down on it.

tkuhe

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
So far those three email accounts all checking for updates every 15 minutes seems to be the culprit. Ironically, I've read that you kill the battery faster by having your emails check every 15 minutes than say, having them pushed as they come in. If your emails don't have push notifications then set them for 2 hrs or even manually.
I used to have it set that way but switched it per Nokia's advice in the above email.

bono5112

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
My first 920 had the same creek at the top, brought it back to ATT and they exchanged it saying that it was a defect. Got my second one and it was fine for a couple of weeks but now its starting again. I think its the heat at the top of the phone starting to disfigure the plastic back

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss