Skype on Nokia 920

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
so i am about to move over to the 920 from 810 and i wanted to know has the skype issues been worked out?

I am not really carring that you can't log out but have issues with skype messing up email and texting been worked out?

Sinabu

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Right now Skype is still in Beta and has not been updated. It works fine for me but currently there are no notifications if you are outside the app.

TheDvlsAdvc8

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I've never had an issue with it messing up email or texting. It does not run in the background yet however, so you can't receive anything when the app is not open. It is still a preview release.

hudsonvalley

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
It's very very basic IMHO, the one for IPhone has much more functionality. Go to skype @ windowsphone and read reviews.
In addition to the things mentioned above, you can't send a file, you can't edit your contacts, you can't buy a subscription or credit. As you login it's takes quite awhile to get mgs synced with your mobile skype.
I used it to make few international calls to a landline with skype credit over 4G and call quality was crappy.
Quite a disappointment.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
It works, don't get me wrong. I love the way you can be invisible or available, chat and even do video calls but it's just not completely working - no notifications outside of the app really breaks Skype for me at the moment. Eagerly anticipating the beta refresh.

Anthony Meluso

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I noticed something the other day about background notications. If you link your Microsoft Account and use that to Skype with either Windows 8 or WP8 it seems to cause an issue on WP8 with background notifications. What I did then was to sign in everywhere with my old Skype user name that I'm linked too. After that everything works really well to the point that I have to hide myself in Skype on my WP to get some peace. I made this correction on Saturday and it's still working like a charm today.

Malcolm Clement

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hard to be too patient about one of the selling points that they pushed pretty hard. Get it fixed already or at least acknowledge that you're working on it with an estimated time frame.

As a side note, merging accounts on the desktop client for Skype is miserable, updating your profile information is also miserable. They have a LOT of work to do on Skype in general. It will be a huge PR fiasco if these issues aren't fixed before they force everyone on Windows Live Messenger to Skype.

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
so i am about to move over to the 920 from 810 and i wanted to know has the skype issues been worked out?

I am not really carring that you can't log out but have issues with skype messing up email and texting been worked out?

820 will be the same as 920 because you will be getting the same Skype app. I would just wait for the Skype full version to come out, but if you like the build and hardware better on the 820 then make the switch :)

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I noticed something the other day about background notications. If you link your Microsoft Account and use that to Skype with either Windows 8 or WP8 it seems to cause an issue on WP8 with background notifications. What I did then was to sign in everywhere with my old Skype user name that I'm linked too. After that everything works really well to the point that I have to hide myself in Skype on my WP to get some peace. I made this correction on Saturday and it's still working like a charm today.

I am confused what you mean by using your old Skype username vs the microsoft account.

Sinabu

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
If you had a Skype user name and an MSN Messenger User name and ran it on W8 it merges it into one account when you try to log into skype for the first time.

Anthony Meluso

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Well up into recently you just had a Skype account with a Skype user name now you can link that Skype account with a Microsoft Account. I don't think they have figured everything out in the back end yet with the linking. So when I logged in everywhere with my Skype user name it works really really well now.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I tried Skype on my 920 for the first time today; made a video call between my 920 and my girlfriends iPhone4 (she has the Skype app on her iPhone) and it worked flawlessly!

Here's my question; is it free? I mean, is it only free because it's still a "preview/beta"? Because I haven't paid anything, nor do I want to. Or was it free because we were both on WiFi? I looked around on the Skype site and could only find info on "using a credit card" or "adding minutes" or "buying Skype credit" etc etc

All I want to do is make occasional video calls.. I don't want to pay for Skype at all when I pay at&t so much already.

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site

You can't login to Skype on WP7 with an MS account like you can on the desktop version...right?

fulnix

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site

What do you mean by sign in everywhere with your old Skype ID? And how do I link my accounts? Thanks for the awesome tip!!

steeleblue

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Well up into recently you just had a Skype account with a Skype user name now you can link that Skype account with a Microsoft Account. I don't think they have figured everything out in the back end yet with the linking. So when I logged in everywhere with my Skype user name it works really really well now.

I'm confused by what you mean by 'logged in everywhere'. The only place I can log in with my Skype account is Skype. My Skype user name is nothing like my MS .live account name. Can you be a bit more specific please?

Jastow

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
No issues for me and hasn't messed up any of my contacts. I've called my parents in Korea on 4g and LTE without issue, mostly. I used my Skype account, not MSFT acct.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb