920 still rebooting after Portico update

DaytonaGTS

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
All games un installed, kids corner turned off and password turned off. The only non native app installed is wpcentral.

Hope to figure something out with a little patience, there has got to be a pattern and reason for what is happening.

calebcre

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Well the reboots are back, I don't use Bluetooth, so that isn't it. Today after I went on a three hour ride and stopped at Starbucks to get a warm up and check my email it started in again.I loaded Xbox games on before that, I'm going to take them back off and see if it will reboot without the games.It seems that the phone sitting for some time without activity triggers it some times, like it sitting in my car at work, or me riding my motorcycle.
I wonder if your hardware is responding to the cold temperatures? I know that most hardware has temperature limits anyway.

Jerry Voelker

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Thank you. I am not up in arms or anything, and to say I love my phone would be a massive understatement. Should the issue not get addressed in the next month or so, then I might get a bit more agitated. The issue is much more of an annoyance than anything.

DaytonaGTS

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if your hardware is responding to the cold temperatures? I know that most hardware has temperature limits anyway.

I was wondering the same thing. But I don't think it is a temperature thing, it will do the same thing sitting in my house overnight and it doesn't get below 55F.

Turned WiFi off to see if that was a trigger, still rebooted after it sat all night on my headboard.

I'm going to look for any apps that could run in the background and get rid of them.

If it still reboots I'm going to hard reset the phone and load my wife's profile and see what it does.

DaytonaGTS

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I got rid of all apps this morning, AT&T, Nokia everything if it could be uninstalled I uninstalled it. Had everything turned off you can turn off.

Only got one reboot today, after the first one this morning. But what good does it do me to not have anything on my phone or be able to use even WiFi just to limit reboots.

o1legacygt

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for some of your exploratory research on what is causing the reboots. It would be great to learn if its an App or OS issue. However, I truly believe you have some sort of hardware related issue.

I would definitely contact Nokia and see if they can offer you a new phone. Perhaps they can do some digging on your device to find the root cause and ultimately help out the Lumia 920 community.

Either way, good luck! :)

itsnavsub

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
How exactly is that accomplished?

I'm going to do just that if my hard reset doesn't work, we'll find out soon as I'm about to do it.

1) Go to this link - Troubleshooting - Nokia - USA
2) Click on the 'Phone Repair' under 'Need Device Repaired'
3) You will need enter your 15 digit IMEI to first check your device warranty
4) Assuming your warranty status is 'In-warranty in the US', you will see different options.
5) One option is 'Submit your phone to Nokia for Repair (Excludes Tracfone).
6) Click if you want to send your for diagnosis and repair.
7) The next set of steps will instruct you to enter the details and will provide a UPS shipping label.

NOTE: The repair process could take up to 10 days. Nokia nor ATT will not give you a temporary phone. So in case you need to send the phone, you need to take the SIM out and then send the phone. You will have to make arrangements for a spare phone.

Alternatively you could talk to their tech support using the following details
Hours of operation:
Monday-Friday
10:00 a.m - 8:00 p.m. EST

(Except holidays)
1-888-665 4228
Good luck!

DaytonaGTS

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
After two weeks of trying to figure out the issues I'm done after even more issues have come up.

I have Hard rebooted many times, run w/out ANY apps on the phone and the most I got was 1.5 days w/out a random reboot.

I am also now randomly getting the auto brightness problems, even when I turn off auto I can't always get it to accually be bright or dim manually.

Last straw started two days ago as I noticed In less than 6 hours of not doing anything my battery would be almost dead after a full charge. Then yesterday I'd have to keep it on the charger so that it wouldn't die half way through the day. Then this morning it was shut down from low battery after having 80% 6 hours before after forgetting about the draining issues.

Time to start the journey with NOKIA, I know it has been hit and miss with some getting replacements, then again you usually only hear from some of the ubhappy people and almost never from the satisfied ones.

DaytonaGTS

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Called and Talked to Nokia, they told me I could probably get a quicker turn around with AT&T and to please try them first... No big deal since I didn't spend much time waiting to talk to them.

I stopped by the AT&T store on my way home from work to see if they could help me once again, they wished they could help but I guess they aren't alowed to do any exchanges outside the first two weeks. The whole time I'm talking to him my phone is rebooting right in front of him and he is tripping saying " I REALLY wish I could help because that would drive me insaine, and he had never seen anything like it before " He dialed AT&T warrenty for me, just took me a minute to get through. They were very helpful and believed what I was saying about the phone and asked if I wanted a new one. I told her I'd like another Red one and she didn't see any in stock and asked me to hold for a minute. When she got back on the phone She told me all they have available are black and white. Cyan, Yellow and Red are back ordered with no known date. She said they can usually tell when more will be in but for some reason these are on indefinite backorder. Then asked me to please hold and she would call Nokia directly. After she returned she told me that they couldn't get any for her and I could get it repaired in Texas. After she relayed that to me I let her know I already have that info and thaks for her time.

After I let the guys know in the store what I was told and needed to do they informed me that the last shipment of red they had was two weeks after launch, since then the three colors that are back ordered can't even be ordered I guess they are blocked out of the system or something. Nokia must have way underestimated the numbers needed for the red, yellow and cyan.

So now I am where I started yesterday, going back to Nokia but straight to the website to ship the phone back instead of trying to talk to them. At least I am a bit more educated on the reason for the dificulty of just getting a new one quickly, I guess. It just makes no sence to me how AT&T will say they honor the one year warrenty buy can't do it from a store front that usually has stock of what you need, you have to do it over the phone.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm done messing with this as well. I just spoke to ATT and they are sending a replacement device. I was hopeful that the update would fix things, but that has not been the case. Hopefully, the replacement device will be good to go.

Starting with ordering the phone and that whole debacle, this has been a disaster from the very beginning.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm done messing with this as well. I just spoke to ATT and they are sending a replacement device. I was hopeful that the update would fix things, but that has not been the case. Hopefully, the replacement device will be good to go.

Starting with ordering the phone and that whole debacle, this has been a disaster from the very beginning.

Smart thing to do. Rebooting issue is more likely a hardware issue.

thegooner

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
If you had Backup enabled on your device, your home screen settings would be backed up. Enable it under Settings.

However, the wifes 920 did lock up, and required me to soft reboot it (hold down Lower Volume, Power and Camera button for about 25 seconds, waited for it to buzz and then removed my fingers from the keys, otherwise it would hard reset.) If you really continue to experience this, I would contact Nokia. Their support is really good and prompt. I wouldn't bother with AT&T, unless Nokia truly tells you to contact them.

Firstly, backup does *not* save the home screen settings.
Secondly, the soft reset needs only Vol Down and Power - no need to press all 3 and potentially invoke a hard reset.
If we're to help our fellow WP8 users, let's aim to be accurate with our advice.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site

5 days to ship from 2 1/2 hours away. Gotta love DHL.

hafeezpunjani

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I read that is could be the wifi so try turning it off before going to bed. Im having the same problem with my 920 from rogers. Going to try turning of wifi tonight

DaytonaGTS

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I read that is could be the wifi so try turning it off before going to bed. Im having the same problem with my 920 from rogers. Going to try turning of wifi tonight

I thought it was also that, but still did it with everything such as WiFi and Bluetooth turned off.

I do understand that that is a temp fix for some, but we shouldn't have to turn stuff off like that to enjoy our phone working properly.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I thought it was also that, but still did it with everything such as WiFi and Bluetooth turned off.

I do understand that that is a temp fix for some, but we shouldn't have to turn stuff off like that to enjoy our phone working properly.
You should just do a clean flash, which is the only way to fix a bad OS installation. If everything persist then is a faulty unit, then you should get a replacement before its too late.

Ian Hopson

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
My 920 was randomly re _booting before portico update. Then I installed portico ota update and the problems were twice as bad. The phone was overheating, battery life was 7 hrs off a full charge. Woke up every morning to a dead lumia, .other issues with notifications not coming through onto lock screen.
Took my lumia to local nokia care Centre and they said it was probably a dodgy update and they really installed the software and set the device up for me instore.
The following 2 days and the lumia was doing exactly the same, random reboots, shocking battery life and no notifications.
I am not trying to diss the lumia 920, I actually love the phone, what it manages to do when working as it should is amazing.
But for a high end flagship device I find it unacceptable, and to keep being told to turn things off such as wifi, background apps etc.is a joke,
:angry:

David Mansfield

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Totally agree Ian. When the phone is working it is the best phone i have used.
However its not reliable enough to use! When i first got mine it was randomly freezing when not in use, and would not come back on so i had to reset (meaning i have to set date and time every time!!! fun!) Did a factory reset and it bricked the phone.
So i took it back to the shop (Orange) and they sent it off for repair, 1 month later got phone back and it still does it.
Only this time i can tell you it isnt any downloaded apps, as to test i gave it 3 days without a single app downloaded, or account added. It started crashing only of a night when on USB charge, but now is back to random freezes when not in use.

falcon304

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
So how does RMA'ing your phone with AT&T work? My 920 has been a steaming pile since day one, and after Portico I finally concluded it's the hardware. But I'm worried that they'll make me send my phone in and wait for a new one. Then I'd have to get a mSIM to SIM adapter and use my Focus while I wait god knows how long for another Cyan 920.

Ian Hopson

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Same here 2 days with no apps and still shutting down randomly, despite having a full nokia care flash. Now been sent to tmobile for repair lol.got my fingers crossed but not hopeful

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs