920 still rebooting after Portico update

DaytonaGTS

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I know there are quite a number of people having reboot issues but are any of you as bad or the same as mine?

I am a long time windows phone guy having bought the focus 2 years ago the day Windows Phone 7 was launched. I never had any issues with that phone or OS, I am running Mango in it and it is now my wifes primary phone and she is loving it.

I stood in line the morning of Nov 9th and left the store with the L920 very happy. My only issues at first were trying to use the sync client and we all know how well that worked. That phone did freez on me a few times and had a couple of reboots. Then just under two weeks old the phone plug input malfuntioned and the phone was stuck thinking the plug was still in and no matter how many times I Hard booted it, it was broke. I exchanged it for a new one waiting a week for it to come in.

Since then this second 920 reboots on an average of 10 times a day depending on how much it gets used. It reboots in the morning while the snooze button gets hit. It reboots when I make or answer call and texts. It reboots when it gets charged, or I open apps just all times nothing routine.

The most anoying times is when it will go into a reboot loop, I will see the ATT screen then the NOKIA sceen followed by the ATT screen and so on from a few times to 15-20 minutes sometimes ending in freezing and haveing to soft boot it.

I was really hoping Portico would fix this but not even close, so far it hasn't rebooted as often but very simularly to the past.

I am thinking of getting another WP7.X for the time being untill the problem gets fixed, but I really love this phone, the screen the speed it loads and the ease of getting my info quick without digging into apps.

DaytonaGTS

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I Hard booted and ran with no installed apps but the native stuff, still rebooted. With and without Face book and a few other apps trying to pinpoint the issue. I really don't have many apps on my phone. But I haven't done a hard reboot since yesterday afternoon when I updated to Portico. Maybe I will do that tonight. I am just really tired of resetting my phone and making sure everything is set up the way I like it. The roughest part is trying to load music and pictures back on the phone.

I have been in contact with my cousin who works @ MS and has conectiond with WP and he just has been telling me the fix is coming, well it came and didn't do anything. I'm thinking about offering up my phone to them to use if they will trade me one that has no issues.

My boys sure get upset with me when I finally load angry birds back on and they have to start all over again ;) I wish skydrive would save game saves like we do with the XBOX.

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I Hard booted and ran with no installed apps but the native stuff, still rebooted. With and without Face book and a few other apps trying to pinpoint the issue. I really don't have many apps on my phone. But I haven't done a hard reboot since yesterday afternoon when I updated to Portico. Maybe I will do that tonight. I am just really tired of resetting my phone and making sure everything is set up the way I like it. The roughest part is trying to load music and pictures back on the phone.

I have been in contact with my cousin who works @ MS and has conectiond with WP and he just has been telling me the fix is coming, well it came and didn't do anything. I'm thinking about offering up my phone to them to use if they will trade me one that has no issues.

My boys sure get upset with me when I finally load angry birds back on and they have to start all over again ;) I wish skydrive would save game saves like we do with the XBOX.

Your phone behavior is way outside the norm; no reason to second guess, get an exchange. I bought my 920 on launch day and have three freezes in WWF, and that has been traced back to WWF. People experiencing random reboots have defective phones.

CaptDjob

May 11, 2012
Visit site
My phone reboots about 5 times per day. It reboots without touching it. Sometimes it just lays on the table when I watch tv and suddenly you see something blink on the table. Its the blue windows screen when rebooting.
When going outside (here in finland we have about -10deg C) and phone is in jacket pocket, it gets rebooting constantly, just when you type your pin code, instant reboot. It stops when you go inside or keep phone between your hands and then you are back on the normal 5/day system.

I have just wished that the coming patch would clear the problem, but as it seems, it doesn't do that. Otherwise this phone is without any problems so thats why I wouldn't want to exchange this to anything else. Maybe I just have to.

xenoglyph

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
If my phone did that I'd throw it through a window and tell Elop to fix my window.

Seriously though my phone's been rock solid, return that ****.

o1legacygt

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I had to random freezes prior to the Portico Update. When connecting to Bluetooth my phone froze completely, and finally unfroze after 45mins.

Since the Portico update I have yet to have a freeze. However, I will report back to this thread if I do.

Side note, to me your issue sounds hardware related, and not OS. I would exchange if i were in your position.

DaytonaGTS

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Last night I was going to do a Hard Reset but couldn't get a couple video's off the phone of my kids in the christmas plays they did, if it was anything else I wouldn't care. I will try tonight again mayby I'll just post them to FB and copy them from there. Trying to load them to the computer just isnt working and loading them to the Skydrive makes the video choppy.

I'm going to Hard reset and see if the Portico works better after that...

Talked to ATT, getting a new phone after the initial two weeks is not as easy, something about them not being able to just give me a new phone but ordering in a refurb phone. Sucks paying $400 for a new phone and then having to get a refurb replacement if anything is wrong after the first 2 weeks.

One time I can make it reboot every time is when it has been sitting unused for several hours like in my car when I am at work (I can't have camera phones at my job). Everyday if I forget to turn it off before I leave my car , when I come back it will let me touch a few tiles but then lockup and reboot, every time.

I will be making more of a fuss to try and get the phone replaced after I try this one last reset.

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
So strange that "the fix is coming"

That implies that the rebooting issue is software related, and that they know what causes it, and thus know how to fix it.

Just one major issue with that scenario. Not all 920's are rebooting.

Mine is a month old today I think. Hasn't ever rebooted unexpectedly.

Hasn't froze up.
Hasn't gotten hot.
Hasn't had poor battery performance.

Not trying to nananananana anyone. Just pointing out that there are indications that there is a likelihood the 920 has quality control issues. You can get one with nothing wrong with it. You can get one with a single issue. Or you can get one with multiple issues.

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I should have said this is my second 920. The first one had a nasty crackling of the audio. It was bad enough they exchanged it immediately. Thought it was hardware at first. But now I am convinced the default "click sound file" was corrupt and the audio hardware was actually trying to "play" the file.

Hard resets did no good because a corrupt file imbedded into the onboard software would not just repair itself. Each time the phone expanded the imbedded OS package, it just resulted in the same corrupt audio file.

All just my guess.

But if the similar issue existed with other corrupted files in the phones factory imbedded image, then once expanded, the file(s) causing the reboot would still do so even after a hard reset.

But then maybe "they" DO know certain files got corrupted on some images. And the coming update replaces them?

DaytonaGTS

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I totally hear you because the funny thing is All the guys at my ATT store have 920's or 8X's and only one guy has had any issues. They kind of looked at me like I was crazy for awhile since I had already had issues with my first 920 and got a new one. Now I am complaining about new issues, but they are smart enought to actually read forums and know that these issues are legit.

Mine gets hot only when my kids are playing games like Crazy Birds or such.

As for battery life, it does quite well as long as the kids arn't playing games, then there is mayby two hours life if I let them play that long.

Last edited:

Malcolm Clement

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Last night I was going to do a Hard Reset but couldn't get a couple video's off the phone of my kids in the christmas plays they did, if it was anything else I wouldn't care. I will try tonight again mayby I'll just post them to FB and copy them from there. Trying to load them to the computer just isnt working and loading them to the Skydrive makes the video choppy.

I'm going to Hard reset and see if the Portico works better after that...

Talked to ATT, getting a new phone after the initial two weeks is not as easy, something about them not being able to just give me a new phone but ordering in a refurb phone. Sucks paying $400 for a new phone and then having to get a refurb replacement if anything is wrong after the first 2 weeks.

One time I can make it reboot every time is when it has been sitting unused for several hours like in my car when I am at work (I can't have camera phones at my job). Everyday if I forget to turn it off before I leave my car , when I come back it will let me touch a few tiles but then lockup and reboot, every time.

I will be making more of a fuss to try and get the phone replaced after I try this one last reset.

Go DIRECT to NOKIA. They will replace with a BRAND NEW phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3