Hard Resetting Success Stories?

Dinky89484

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm reading up a ton about bad battery life and performing a hard reset...AND then I'm reading about how some hard resets bricks the device. I'm going to be getting a Lumia 920 soon and I'm planning on performing a hard reset off the bat (doing it early on so I won't have to reset everything up and redownload apps etc...). Should I be worried about performing a hard reset? The threads talking about bricked devices worries me. Maybe a better question would be: Are only a small fraction of phones that are hard reset bricked or is there actually a high percentage of bricked phones resulting from a hard reset?

Dinky89484

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I plan on getting an unlocked Rogers Lumia 920 and worry that IF it gets bricked after a hard reset, the fix of flashing the device won't be a good option because I don't want to flash it with a firmware that can disable the AWS 1700 MHz band (known issue).

jason8957

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
This just happened to me:
Had Amazing Weather on the screen
Placed phone on wireless charger
then turned off the screen
a little bit later I got a text and when I tried to turn my screen back on it wouldn't come up.
I tried removing it from the charger and connecting it to PC, not screen.
I tried calling my phone and it rang, but I couldn't answer it because screen was black.
I tried the brick reset that I saw on here and finally got it back running without doing all the software updates.

So, I pressed volume down and then the power button and held them until the phone vibrated (about 5 seconds)
I then pressed volume up and lo and behold the AT&T logo appeared for a second and then I got the gear and lightening bolt screen for a while.
Nothing was happening so I did volume down- power button again and the phone rebooted and is working now.

I just installed the portico update earlier today.

I don't know why phones that are designed without a removable battery don't just a have a hard reset you can hit with a paperclip or something. Phones are going to crash hang sometimes. It is just a fact. I have had to jump through hoops and figure out how to recover an iphone and an ipod that crashed and now my Lumia 920. When my old Blackberry crashed, all I had to do was a quick battery pull and problem solved. Just own up to it and give us a hard reset feature.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
You don't need to hard reset. I never hard reset mine and I have great battery life. Battery life will improve around a week or two. Just have to be careful with the Background Tasks in the Settings. Some apps will eat battery fast in the background. Turn off the NFC (tap+send) if you don't use it, could get you more battery life too.

jason8957

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Well, I have just had to hard reset mine for the second time tonight. When I turn off the screen while Amazing Weather HD is running, the screen won't come back and I have to do what I mentioned above to reboot it.

I like AWHD too. Guess I have to get rid of it and lose my money.

steeleblue

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I had to hard reset mine once when I tried to add my son to the family group. He responded but my phone never recognized it and I couldn't remove him etc. so hard reset. But since my phone was still functioning I could use the hard reset option on the phone. Everything went just fine and this time his acknowledgment was recognized. No freezes or anything after (none before either if that means anything).

From reading all the posts I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. My phone has been pretty much perfect with the exception of that one instance. I have a red 920 I picked up on the 12th. My son picked up his black one the same day and has so many freezes he is getting a replacement tomorrow. ATT is simply sending him one and he will return the old one.

xenoglyph

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I read all the horror stories on here before I got mine, so when I got it the first thing I did was a hard reset. Didn't have a problem. I actually haven't had any problems with my phone over the last month. Unfortunately people like me who are happy and have no problems aren't usually the ones posting on forums...

Dinky89484

May 7, 2012
Visit site
You don't need to hard reset. I never hard reset mine and I have great battery life. Battery life will improve around a week or two. Just have to be careful with the Background Tasks in the Settings. Some apps will eat battery fast in the background. Turn off the NFC (tap+send) if you don't use it, could get you more battery life too.
I've been mulling over this. I'm on the fence about performing a hard reset right out the box just to hopefully do away with any bugs/battery issues off the bat. I'm also contemplating forgoing the hard reset to avoid possibly bricking the phone. Decisions, decisions.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I've been mulling over this. I'm on the fence about performing a hard reset right out the box just to hopefully do away with any bugs/battery issues off the bat. I'm also contemplating forgoing the hard reset to avoid possibly bricking the phone. Decisions, decisions.

My phone arrives in 3 days and I'm stuck in the same boat. Naturally, the first thing I always do is a rest/wipe/format what ever you call it across devices. Just like when you get a new laptop. Heck I don't even let it boot. Fresh install of windows instantly.

But after reading some of the horror stories here, I'm a bit on the fence. Most likely I WILL go balls in and do the hard reset, then do updates.

Dinky89484

May 7, 2012
Visit site
My phone arrives in 3 days and I'm stuck in the same boat. Naturally, the first thing I always do is a rest/wipe/format what ever you call it across devices. Just like when you get a new laptop. Heck I don't even let it boot. Fresh install of windows instantly.

But after reading some of the horror stories here, I'm a bit on the fence. Most likely I WILL go balls in and do the hard reset, then do updates.

I think I will do a fresh hard reset out the box also. Here's hoping I don't brick it!

firehawk_1

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm after I did a hard reset on my lumia 920 unlocked (red from clove), the battery life has increased and is fantastic. I did the same with my girlfriends EE lumia 920 (black) which I got her... same result.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I performed a factory reset when I first got the phone as I entered in the wrong Xbox account thing. I didn't have an issue. My battery performance is good. Although I do have virtually everything turned off. I also mainly do full charges from virtually nil.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes