Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Good

GPS function is independent of your cellular service. regardless you have a non working sim (out of service area/country), doesn't even have a sim in it, or on flight mode, it just work when you turn on the location option in the Nokia map/ drive setting menu. In short, as long as you have the required map, you will be able to navigate when you get the minimum GPS signal.

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    GPS does work even if you are in another country... But without the help of phone masts (usually data connection) it takes a good while longer to lock on. With android I start navigation while I'm on Wi-Fi with offline maps, and then it works just fine solely via GPS

It never takes more than 1 min on mine, with or without data connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Huime View Post
    GPS function is independent of your cellular service. regardless you have a non working sim (out of service area/country), doesn't even have a sim in it, or on flight mode, it just work when you turn on the location option in the Nokia map/ drive setting menu. In short, as long as you have the required map, you will be able to navigate when you get the minimum GPS signal.
    Did you not even read the thread? I posted a screenshot of Nokia Drive refusing to work on my no-sim Lumia 920 and you keep saying it doesn't require a SIM.

Technically it doesn't, but Nokia's implementation does. That's the difference here.

Quote Originally Posted by JMBasquiat View Post
    Did you not even read the thread? I posted a screenshot of Nokia Drive refusing to work on my no-sim Lumia 920 and you keep saying it doesn't require a SIM.

Technically it doesn't, but Nokia's implementation does. That's the difference here.
    Huime is right ... my Lumia 920 works well without SIM card - YES, I just tested Drive+ and it catched GPS signal almost imm. (without SIM card) ... but I do not know what is wrong with your Lumia 920 ...

Do you have your maps downloaded for offline use?

Quote Originally Posted by forzahog View Post
    Do you have your maps downloaded for offline use?
    Seeing as Drive won't even open without a SIM, I can't download the maps even if I wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by Jari P View Post
    Huime is right ... my Lumia 920 works well without SIM card - YES, I just tested Drive+ and it catched GPS signal almost imm. (without SIM card) ... but I do not know what is wrong with your Lumia 920 ...
    I use it all the time when travel, with or without sim.
    Even your phone force you to have a sim, wouldn't your regular sim already inside the phone, don't see where you are going here either.

This isnt true. I brought mine to mexico and was using it just fine.what i did was DL the maps i needed went to mexico. Used wifi only once to make sure of any updates. After that it worked flawlessly

Seeing as Drive won't even open without a SIM, I can't download the maps even if I wanted to.
    Settings - Applications - maps - download maps

Everybody can test it easily ... disable your WLAN (wi-fi) and disable your cellular data connection, then you are OFFLINE (no any data from internet) ... and check that your location service is enabled and you have downloaded a country map where are you just now ... and then, open Nokia Drive+ or Nokia maps .... if you open Nokia Drive+, it will state "looking for GPS" and then, it will catch GPS signal (green arrow) ... remark: Nokia Drive+ can be used online or offline (change from settings) ...

EDIT: - it is harder to get GPS signal, if you are inside in building ... so you should go outside to check it ...
    Not that easy man...the point is not if it works without data connection but if it works without any cellular signal. I understood that Lumia 920 uses A-GPS as well as other smartphones. It means that not only GPS satellites are used to locate yourself but a combination of GPS AND Cellular Antennas signals are used to determine your location.
    So, we have to take off the sim card of the phone to test. And even if it works I still have doubt if at least from a very first time it is needed to be connected to a cellular antenna to acquire/accurate the position. I.e. maybe when traveling abroad we have to connect our smartphone at least once to a cellular network or a wifi to acquire our position and so we will be able to navigate without any data and cellular connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Br_Mpto View Post
    Not that easy man...the point is not if it works without data connection but if it works without any cellular signal. I understood that Lumia 920 uses A-GPS as well as other smartphones. It means that not only GPS satellites are used to locate yourself but a combination of GPS AND Cellular Antennas signals are used to determine your location.
    So, we have to take off the sim card of the phone to test. And even if it works I still have doubt if at least from a very first time it is needed to be connected to a cellular antenna to acquire/accurate the position. I.e. maybe when traveling abroad we have to connect our smartphone at least once to a cellular network or a wifi to acquire our position and so we will be able to navigate without any data and cellular connection.
    Works well for me ... and I had a christmas and new year holiday in Philippines - it was working just great, it found GPS signal very fast (and sure, no wi-fi, no data connection and no roaming) ... and I have tested it without SIM card too, it works well (outside very well, inside is depenging on a building) ... well, I have downloaded the proper maps and I am not using any case for my Lumia 920 ... and I am not a customer of AT&T :)

Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    The Lumia 920 uses a-GPS, as well as the Russian equivalent. Traditional GPS, when in a new location, can take up to 15 or 20 minutes to properly fix your location by acquiring the right satellite signals.

A-GPS speeds this up by getting its location from the wireless network first, figuring out which of the hundreds of satellites it should be getting a signal from, and only using those. It cuts that 20 minutes to 20 seconds.

The Lumia location services will work with no data or cellular signal, but again, may take up to 20 minutes to get an accurate fix. This may be why many of you seem to believe it doesn't. We are bred with short attention spans these days.

Those who find it worked well, may have just gotten a faster location fix because their phone found a satellite signal faster.

Not a concern at all. OVI/nokia/here/whatever they call it now does not need any form of assist other than the GPS/Glonass chip itself. Even my oldie 5800 gets a lock within a minute.

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Hey guys ,

I have the maps downloaded but when I do offline search it gave me no good result at all but if I am online the result is fine , shouldn't since I downloaded the maps the searching result is saved already , I am really disappointed since the online search thing kill 70% of the offline gps idea .
    Thanked by:
    Raj Chahal likes this.

Nope, there is no my city map, and even Bing Map from Microdsoft doesnt neither contain my city. I know I live in an small unpoppular city, but google map works great here.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by dabdoub81 View Post
    Hey guys ,

I have the maps downloaded but when I do offline search it gave me no good result at all but if I am online the result is fine , shouldn't since I downloaded the maps the searching result is saved already , I am really disappointed since the online search thing kill 70% of the offline gps idea .
    offline search has its limit. There is only so much POI you can store unless you want to go back the Garmin days where a city map worth 1G of data. And if you are searching for address, you need to find a way to write in a "western style", not sure how to explain, but something like house number>road/street>place>city>state/province/postcode/zip.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    2,287 Global Posts
    Are you sure that your location service was enabled ? - did you see GPS icon in an up row ? - did you try to restart your cp ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dregur View Post
    This is not true at all. I was recently on a trip to Madrid, where my AT&T sim card was not supported, and the GPS and downloaded maps worked perfectly, including transit directions.
    Please do not accuse me of lying. I downloaded the maps and everything. Had it on airplane mode the entire time so I wouldn't have roaming charges.

Your phone displays your location using GPS, A-GPS, WLAN, or cellular positioning. (+ GLONASS)
    The Global Positioning System (GPS) is a satellite-based navigation system used for
    calculating your location. Assisted GPS (A-GPS) is a network service that sends you
    GPS data, improving the speed of the positioning. In addition, other enhancements
    to GPS may be used to improve and speed up the positioning. These may require
    transferring small amounts of data over the cellular network.
    Wireless local area network (WLAN) positioning improves position accuracy when GPS
    signals are not available, especially when you are indoors or between tall buildings.
    With cellular positioning, the position is determined through the cellular network
    antenna your phone is currently connected to.
    To save on data costs, you can deactivate A-GPS in your phone positioning settings,
    but calculating your location may take much longer.
    You can deactivate WLAN in your phone internet connection settings.
    Depending on the available positioning methods, the accuracy of positioning may
    vary from a few metres to several kilometres.
    The availability and quality of GPS signals may be affected by your location, satellite
    positions, buildings, natural obstacles, weather conditions, and adjustments to GPS
    satellites made by the United States government. GPS signals may not be available
    inside buildings or underground.
    There is also mentioned to avoid touching the antenna area while the antenna is in use.
    Contact with antennas affects the communication quality and may reduce battery life
    due to higher power level during operation.

Source: Nokia N9 manual
    Last edited by Jaripi; 02-14-2013 at 05:31 AM.

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    when i turn off my 3G data , the phone do find my location correctly.
    But when i try to navigate and search for the destination, it says that i need the data connection.
    Works as a charm if Data is turned on.

Please suggest if i am doing something wrong !

Quote Originally Posted by Raj Chahal View Post
    But when i try to navigate and search for the destination, it says that i need the data connection.

There is offline connection setting for Drive+ (settings - connection) ... did you try to use it in offline mode ?

Quote Originally Posted by Raj Chahal View Post

you turned on the connection option. Just ignore and continue with it. It will work just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by jdhooghe View Post
    Please do not accuse me of lying. I downloaded the maps and everything. Had it on airplane mode the entire time so I wouldn't have roaming charges.
    Could it be that airplane mode disables GPS too?

Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    There is a huge difference between getting accurate GPS signal, and being able to search for a destination.

Even with a map downloaded, the phone doesn't store addresses for every location. It wouldn't have the resources to do this (for instance, I have maps for all of Canada on my phone). It will search locally, and if it can't find it, will prompt you to go into online mode to find the destination. Once this is done, it will go back to offline mode to do the actual navigation.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast