Lumia 920 truely offline gps?

dabdoub81

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys ,

I have the maps downloaded but when I do offline search it gave me no good result at all but if I am online the result is fine , shouldn't since I downloaded the maps the searching result is saved already , I am really disappointed since the online search thing kill 70% of the offline gps idea .

Fitu Pham

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Nope, there is no my city map, and even Bing Map from Microdsoft doesnt neither contain my city. I know I live in an small unpoppular city, but google map works great here.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys ,

I have the maps downloaded but when I do offline search it gave me no good result at all but if I am online the result is fine , shouldn't since I downloaded the maps the searching result is saved already , I am really disappointed since the online search thing kill 70% of the offline gps idea .
offline search has its limit. There is only so much POI you can store unless you want to go back the Garmin days where a city map worth 1G of data. And if you are searching for address, you need to find a way to write in a "western style", not sure how to explain, but something like house number>road/street>place>city>state/province/postcode/zip.

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Are you sure that your location service was enabled ? - did you see GPS icon in an up row ? - did you try to restart your cp ?

This is not true at all. I was recently on a trip to Madrid, where my AT&T sim card was not supported, and the GPS and downloaded maps worked perfectly, including transit directions.

Please do not accuse me of lying. I downloaded the maps and everything. Had it on airplane mode the entire time so I wouldn't have roaming charges.

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Your phone displays your location using GPS, A-GPS, WLAN, or cellular positioning. (+ GLONASS)
The Global Positioning System (GPS) is a satellite-based navigation system used for
calculating your location. Assisted GPS (A-GPS) is a network service that sends you
GPS data, improving the speed of the positioning. In addition, other enhancements
to GPS may be used to improve and speed up the positioning. These may require
transferring small amounts of data over the cellular network.
Wireless local area network (WLAN) positioning improves position accuracy when GPS
signals are not available, especially when you are indoors or between tall buildings.
With cellular positioning, the position is determined through the cellular network
antenna your phone is currently connected to.
To save on data costs, you can deactivate A-GPS in your phone positioning settings,
but calculating your location may take much longer.
You can deactivate WLAN in your phone internet connection settings.
Depending on the available positioning methods, the accuracy of positioning may
vary from a few metres to several kilometres.
The availability and quality of GPS signals may be affected by your location, satellite
positions, buildings, natural obstacles, weather conditions, and adjustments to GPS
satellites made by the United States government. GPS signals may not be available
inside buildings or underground.
There is also mentioned to avoid touching the antenna area while the antenna is in use.
Contact with antennas affects the communication quality and may reduce battery life
due to higher power level during operation.

Source: Nokia N9 manual

Last edited:

Raj Chahal

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
when i turn off my 3G data , the phone do find my location correctly.
But when i try to navigate and search for the destination, it says that i need the data connection.
Works as a charm if Data is turned on.

Please suggest if i am doing something wrong !

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
But when i try to navigate and search for the destination, it says that i need the data connection.

There is offline connection setting for Drive+ (settings - connection) ... did you try to use it in offline mode ?

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

you turned on the connection option. Just ignore and continue with it. It will work just fine.

BeaverJuicer

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
There is a huge difference between getting accurate GPS signal, and being able to search for a destination.

Even with a map downloaded, the phone doesn't store addresses for every location. It wouldn't have the resources to do this (for instance, I have maps for all of Canada on my phone). It will search locally, and if it can't find it, will prompt you to go into online mode to find the destination. Once this is done, it will go back to offline mode to do the actual navigation.

perspicatio

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
I don't know about the SIM issue being discussed here (mine works fine sans-sim, locating in seconds) but the offline navigation is a real bugbear.

Offline the navigation function is rendered virtually unusable. Maps are downloadable but address/street information (required for turn-by-turn navigation) requires you to go online to plot. Fine for Wi-Fi but if you are roaming abroad there are data cost issues. Worse, if you are trying to navigate from a location with no cellular coverage you cannot plot a route. You are stuffed.

This is a real problem Nokia needs to address. Data size is not really any excuse.

Nokia Drive is not a TRULY offline GPS like TomTom

bharathsekar

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I am not sure about the issue u're facing (maybe it happens only when on International roaming). OFFLINE SEARCH works absolutely fine for me. All I had to do was search for "Walmart" or an address, say "123 3rd avenue, new york" and it would prompt a message saying "No, connection" and when I proceed with "Search Offline", it would display the directions just like a regular GPS would do.

Maybe it won't have all of the POI that come pre-loaded with TomTom like GPS, but it definitely has most of them. I am on a 200 Mb data plan and so keep the LTE turned off most of the times. With my maps pre-downloaded from WiFi, I NEVER had to turn it on my data for POI/address lookup.

perspicatio

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
It does appear to have some random offline data. But I can't fathom it.

Doing a search for "Piccadilly Circus" in London (a major thoroughfare) it bizarrely wants to take you to "Circus Street" in Manchester (other end of the country). Other major streets it either returns no results or takes a random stab at a minor town. You could end up in Timbuktoo.

It has been noted elsewhere. Nokia Drive review | PC Pro

Online, BINGO! Works like a charm.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
It does appear to have some random offline data. But I can't fathom it.

Doing a search for "Piccadilly Circus" in London (a major thoroughfare) it bizarrely wants to take you to "Circus Street" in Manchester (other end of the country). Other major streets it either returns no results or takes a random stab at a minor town. You could end up in Timbuktoo.

Online, BINGO! Works like a charm.
No idea how you are using it. But this statement is all wrong: Nokia Drive is not a TRULY offline GPS like TomTom
and that reviewer too have no idea what he is writing about.

perspicatio

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Huime, if you could point out exactly how to make Nokia Drive work offline I, would be most grateful as I'm sure others would be.

I have downloaded the UK map. Some test searches of major London streets:

Fleet Street -- it assumes I want to go to Aylesbury
Strand -- several random towns including some in Ireland!
Aldwych -- Nothing
Charring Cross Road -- Nothing
Marylebone -- finds it, but strangely navigates to a neighboring minor street
Gunnersbury Avenue -- Nothing

Last edited:

holzlondon

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Could it be that airplane mode disables GPS too?
You might be on to something here. Airplane mode disables any kind of signal sending and receiving antennas, right? This may very well include the GPS module. Then it won't be able to lock a signal at all, and Nokia Maps and Drive won't work.

When I'm abroad, I keep my SIM card in for calls, texts, etc. but disable data. I make sure I have the local maps downloaded before I travel, because WiFi is not always reliable everywhere.

Then when I need to use the navigation, I open drive, and it finds me within 2 mins normally. Was in Dubai last week, and it worked like a charm.

zenuser

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Wot perspacitio said

Offline it need to connect to get data. It caches some local data but don't have all data in map file. If you are in rural countryside you cant navigate if no 3g signal. Map is there but no nav data.

perspicatio

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
holzlondon: Flight mode does not switch off GPS. Try it.

Rickosw: my silicone cases (920 and 620) do not affect the GPS signal. I can locate within 3 seconds from inside a building.

The issue is not the GPS capability, which seems good, but the offline data capability, which is dodgy, to say the least.

Edit:
I just tried "Marble Arch" and was given "The Arches" restaurant in Letterkenny, Ireland and Mont St Michel Abbey in France. Clearly a few issues for Nokia to fix.

Last edited:

alphonsohall

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Reading this thread with interest, and just to clarify.
I have the UK map downloaded on my 920.
I activated 'airplane mode' and then i opened nokia drive, my location was found within seconds (silicone phone case fitted) i then entered an address and the phone notified me that i didnt have an online connection and asked 'did i want to search offline', which i did, and the phone then found the address and plotted the route.

My 920, in my experience, has always worked exactly like my tomtom when in offline mode, including when in airplane mode, location services work exactly the same offline as when i'm online.

ps... gps (location) finds me even when i'm in a building, online or offline

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3