Lumia 920 truely offline gps?

alphonsohall

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
holzlondon: Flight mode does not switch off GPS. Try it.

Edit:
I just tried "Marble Arch" and was given "The Arches" restaurant in Letterkenny, Ireland and Mont St Michel Abbey in France. Clearly a few issues for Nokia to fix.

Just done the same search as above using 'offline' and got the same results but got correct results for the same search when using 'online'.

Last edited:

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Huime, if you could point out exactly how to make Nokia Drive work offline I, would be most grateful as I'm sure others would be.

I have downloaded the UK map. Some test searches of major London streets:

Fleet Street -- it assumes I want to go to Aylesbury
Strand -- several random towns including some in Ireland!
Aldwych -- Nothing
Charring Cross Road -- Nothing
Marylebone -- finds it, but strangely navigates to a neighboring minor street
Gunnersbury Avenue -- Nothing
are you around these places or within 30 miles when you search them?

alphonsohall

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Huime, if you could point out exactly how to make Nokia Drive work offline I, would be most grateful as I'm sure others would be.

I have downloaded the UK map. Some test searches of major London streets:

Fleet Street -- it assumes I want to go to Aylesbury
Strand -- several random towns including some in Ireland!
Aldwych -- Nothing
Charring Cross Road -- Nothing
Marylebone -- finds it, but strangely navigates to a neighboring minor street
Gunnersbury Avenue -- Nothing

Just tried an OFFLINE (airplane mode) search on Gunnersbury avenue and got nothing, but if i enter Gunnersbury avenue, london i get all the correct results. (I conducted this search from my location in Somerset)

perspicatio

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
are you around these places or within 30 miles when you search them?

I'm about 1 mile from Gunnersbury Avenue, a major road in West London. If I search in online mode I know it will cache local data. Which is of little use to drivers.

Nokia Drive gives results listed by distance. So if you search for "High Street" it'll listed the nearest at the top.Great for walkers, but if you "Drive" then it would be more intuitive to select the destination town first, then street. I don't think Nokia's software team that that through too well.

Edit: I take that back about listeing by proximity. It's actually more random than that. I just searched for "Oxford Street" and was given a number of random streets from around the country with those nearest Oxford at the top. Truly bizarre, and no Oxford Street in London.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Just tried an OFFLINE (airplane mode) search on Gunnersbury avenue and got nothing, but if i enter Gunnersbury avenue, london i get all the correct results. (I conducted this search from my location in Somerset)
I downloaded the England map ONLY. So I don't know if you have all UK and Ireland will screw things up or not.
The last snap was to show my status bars, no WiFi on.
What I did was first search UK then London to get myself near the city where these places belong. Then I just type in the name you gave. Never been to these places so you can check the address and code if they are right. As for the extra picture I have no idea why it got there.
https://skydrive.live.com/pagenotfounderror
http://sdrv.ms/WTWDdx

Attachments

• wp_ss_20130102_0002 (1).png
    wp_ss_20130102_0002 (1).png
    121.4 KB · Views: 2
  • wp_ss_20130219_0001.png
    wp_ss_20130219_0001.png
    128.7 KB · Views: 2
  • wp_ss_20130219_0002.png
    wp_ss_20130219_0002.png
    160.6 KB · Views: 2
  • wp_ss_20130219_0004.png
    wp_ss_20130219_0004.png
    165.4 KB · Views: 2
  • wp_ss_20130219_0005.png
    wp_ss_20130219_0005.png
    179 KB · Views: 2
  • wp_ss_20130219_0006.png
    wp_ss_20130219_0006.png
    167.2 KB · Views: 2
  • wp_ss_20130219_0007.png
    wp_ss_20130219_0007.png
    118.8 KB · Views: 1

perspicatio

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
OK, now I'm seeing what you see. Type in the city name along with the street and you get good results offline. I just tried some obscure little streets and it found them quickly.

Thanks, Huime. You were right.

But that does rather beg the questions
- why the random results if you omit city/town?
- why does it work without city/town in online mode but not offline?

I hope Nokia intend to do a good job of educating new users to their approach, otherwise there are going to be some very irked ex TomTom users.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
OK, now I'm seeing what you see. Type in the city name along with the street and you get good results offline. I just tried some obscure little streets and it found them quickly.

Thanks, Huime. You were right.

But that does rather beg the questions
- why the random results if you omit city/town?
- why does it work without city/town in online mode but not offline?

I hope Nokia intend to do a good job of educating new users to their approach, otherwise there are going to be some very irked ex TomTom users.
There is limitation for offline maps. Unless you want your search algorithm worth another Gigabyte like Tomtom or Garmin in the early days. What Nokia did was to minimize the requirement for crunching numbers. It only finds a name match within 30 miles or so unless you specified an area. It always been a frustration for new comers, I myself had been using ovi/nokia/here maps on mobiles for almost 4 years. And BTW, welcome to Nokia family!

perspicatio

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Zenuser: I agree it is odd that Drive, in attempting to interpret a parsimonious query such as "marble arch", should direct me to an obscure town in Ireland 400 miles away when there is a perfectly good "arch" a few miles up the road. More so considering I don't even have the Ireland map installed. But when I'm out in the wilds of Galicia and need to navigate my way back to the holiday villa, I will remember and thank a true gentleman, Huime, who took the trouble to point out to a dim-witted stranger such as myself how to correctly form the destination query.

Raj Chahal

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
one more issue, please help me with this :

When I start nokia drive ( on lumia 920 ), my data connection is on, but i have turned the connection settings in drive as "Offline" , I search for the destination, drive finds the destination correctly , but i doesn ot start navigating, positions keep showing where i started from.
I have to restart the Phone, and then it works fine.

PS : the same thing happens even when i try it with drive connection settings as "online"

Please provide a suggestion so that i dont have to restart the phone everytime before using drive.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
one more issue, please help me with this :

When I start nokia drive ( on lumia 920 ), my data connection is on, but i have turned the connection settings in drive as "Offline" , I search for the destination, drive finds the destination correctly , but i doesn ot start navigating, positions keep showing where i started from.
I have to restart the Phone, and then it works fine.

PS : the same thing happens even when i try it with drive connection settings as "online"

Please provide a suggestion so that i dont have to restart the phone everytime before using drive.
The app doesn't start right after you chose the preferred search result. There is a button below to start the navigation after you tweak some available options to optimize your route.

tony_rome

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Sadly, HERE is not a proper offline mapping program, to replace a Garmin N?vi or TomTom. I have downloaded all the European maps but searching for a business in offline mode is unsuccessful, whilst switching on WiFi or Data immediately gives the correct result. Since I travel widely, I need proper offline searching, navigation, City Lens and Transit, none of which is currently possible. It is very disappointing.

AndreStudart

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I like here drive when it WORKS, but sometimes, It simply refuses to find my location, it stays on the ''looking for gps..'' and never find me, yesterday I needed it and I stayed 8min inside the car waiting for it to find my location, but nothing..

Although, today I tried it when I needed and it found me in couple of seconds.. I really would like to understand why it refuses to find me sometimes

So, I can't say I fully trust on HERE services, since many times it let me down because it wasn't able to find my location..

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I like here drive when it WORKS, but sometimes, It simply refuses to find my location, it stays on the ''looking for gps..'' and never find me, yesterday I needed it and I stayed 8min inside the car waiting for it to find my location, but nothing..

Although, today I tried it when I needed and it found me in couple of seconds.. I really would like to understand why it refuses to find me sometimes

So, I can't say I fully trust on HERE services, since many times it let me down because it wasn't able to find my location..

HERE services has very little to do with your location. They provide maps and software. The phone and OS provide your location using the following methods:

- If online, using a Wi-Fi database of your IP address and local access points to initially locate you
- If online, then by downloading assisted GPS (A-GPS) data into your phones GPS (which gives it a massive kick-start since your GPS has basically been told where you are and where all the GPS satellites are and will be in the sky) to help the GPS refine that location and then keep your location known.
- If offline, using only your GPS to locate you. This requires the GPS to basically listen to satellites in the sky (yes, that normally requires a real view of the sky) to download the almanac data from the satellites which then enables the GPS to work out where you are in relation to them. This can take several minutes with a clear view of the sky.

People are so used to having a connection which makes location appear instant. If you're offline in a car park in your car, unless you are near the edge of the garage or your phone has already recently had a location lock it can be impossible to get a lock. A Garmin is the same way...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills