Lumia 920 truely offline gps?

checkmate81x

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, just needing a little clarification... I was told that my Lumia 920 would work as a gps device (like a garmin/tomtom etc.) offline (with wifi and data off). I believe the nokia is able to locate me offline, but then shouldn't it also be able to act like a gps and track me to my destination, or do you need a connection?

Ps, I have all the maps downloaded offline when I tried this.

Thanks for the help guys?

PSS: just for fun.... qdoba or chipotle

izzyq8#CB

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Chipotle definitely
But back to the topic, if u mean turn by turn navigation fully offline then yes it works with no problems. Took a road trip recently with no data and it worked perfectly

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
You can get location data without using "Data" services (your data plan). The proper question is "can you plot that location on a map without using the data plan?" And with Nokia, the answer is yes. Because you can download maps ahead of time (at the state level, or the national level - your choice), you can have the maps in the phone, and not be repeatedly downloading them each time you use the maps app or the drive app. So yes, you can. In fact, Nokia Drive has a setting (Connection) that allows you to take the app offline so that it won't use your data. Just make sure you download the maps for whatever areas you'll be using.

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
In order for it to be a true offline gps/maps/navigation, you need to download your local maps. Once you do that, navigation is fully offline once you go into drive settings, and make sure "connection" is in offline mode. Once you do that, it will be fully offline without consuming your data.

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Do not try this in a country where your sim card is not supported. GPS does not work without a wifi connection for some reason. I got my 920 in the US and then went to France for three weeks. GPS would not work. It only worked if I was connected to WiFi. I'm glad I took my unlocked iPhone for GPS so I could put a SIM card in it otherwise I would have been SOL.

dabdoub81

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Do not try this in a country where your sim card is not supported. GPS does not work without a wifi connection for some reason. I got my 920 in the US and then went to France for three weeks. GPS would not work. It only worked if I was connected to WiFi. I'm glad I took my unlocked iPhone for GPS so I could put a SIM card in it otherwise I would have been SOL.

this is so right don't know why , really disappointed !!!

by the way I have been told that google maps recently can do that !! any idea ?

Mehmet Ali ZENGIN

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
this is so right don't know why , really disappointed !!!

by the way I have been told that google maps recently can do that !! any idea ?

GPS in nokia (in old models and in newest lumia 920, 820) works without SIM card even. You download the maps of countries to your phone once and then remove the sim card and use it as navigation device. I used it this way in 6 different countries with no problems at all.

Dregur

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

This is not true at all. I was recently on a trip to Madrid, where my AT&T sim card was not supported, and the GPS and downloaded maps worked perfectly, including transit directions.

Jari P

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This is not true at all. I was recently on a trip to Madrid, where my AT&T sim card was not supported, and the GPS and downloaded maps worked perfectly, including transit directions.

Agreed ... I had christmas and new year holiday in Philippines ... Nokia maps worked perfectly OFFLINE and it catched GPS signal very fast (no internet connection, no data connection and no roaming) ...

greycounciller

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I too was in France, 2nd week in January and the GPS didn't work offline, had to use up my PAYG credit to get and lock and Navigate. Good thing I downloaded maps for my In car SatNav which saved the day.

Jari P

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I too was in France, 2nd week in January and the GPS didn't work offline, had to use up my PAYG credit to get and lock and Navigate. Good thing I downloaded maps for my In car SatNav which saved the day.

Are you sure that your location service was enabled ? - did you see GPS icon in an up row ? - did you try to restart your cp ?

forzahog

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site

The only way that I know of that this would be possible is if you didn't have your maps downloaded. If you haven't downloaded the maps, it will require a data connection of some type to acquire the map data. The gps runs completely isolated from the wireless radio.

Jari P

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Everybody can test it easily ... disable your WLAN (wi-fi) and disable your cellular data connection, then you are OFFLINE (no any data from internet) ... and check that your location service is enabled and you have downloaded a country map where are you just now ... and then, open Nokia Drive+ or Nokia maps .... if you open Nokia Drive+, it will state "looking for GPS" and then, it will catch GPS signal (green arrow) ... remark: Nokia Drive+ can be used online or offline (change from settings) ...

EDIT: - it is harder to get GPS signal, if you are inside in building ... so you should go outside to check it ...

Last edited:

greycounciller

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I downloaded my maps before I left in UK, then again via wifi in the hotel I stayed in. Used the phone with and without SIM card and yes, Location was enabled and GPS was active, though at times it took a while to find a good signal. My back up N8 worked very well as an extra Satnav device.

Chris Gregory

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
I found that it took a lot longer to get a GPS lock when I was in Thailand with no data, but it did get there after about 5 minutes with no data connection.

Sukanok

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
In order for it to be a true offline gps/maps/navigation, you need to download your local maps. Once you do that, navigation is fully offline once you go into drive settings, and make sure "connection" is in offline mode. Once you do that, it will be fully offline without consuming your data.

How can i set it to offline mode??
thanks

JMBasquiat

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The only way that I know of that this would be possible is if you didn't have your maps downloaded. If you haven't downloaded the maps, it will require a data connection of some type to acquire the map data. The gps runs completely isolated from the wireless radio.

In the Drive version for Lumias, it does not work without a SIM card. Confusingly, in the newly-released version for other Windows Phones it does. I get this message on my AT&T 920 (which I'm using without a SIM card) when I open the old Nokia-exclusive copy of Drive:

2552j2t.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3