- 12-22-2012, 01:17 PM #1
I have had my Lumia 920 for over a month now and love almost everything about it. I had an Iphone than switched to Android when the T-Mobile Mytouch surfaced and owned several more nexus phones. I've loved what those platforms had to offer but I am always looking for the next best thing. Now, my windows experience. The phone is great in all aspects but I have come across the following issues. If anyone can help with these or have a solution that woud be awesome.
Here is what I have discovered:
The original calendar when viewed in full month mode does not show your appointments in english (not sure what language it is) but none the less I can't read it. I did download another calendar app that does not have this issue but I like the live tile for it and it does not allow me to edit as well as original calendar app installed with the luma 920. I was hoping the update would solve this as I have seen other posts stating the same but it did not.
I would like to have different volume controls for media and phone. As of now the phone volume controls everything. Also I seem to only have the option of ringer on or off from the main screen when I push volume up and down. I would like a third option for vibrate. There are many times I have this in my pocket in areas I cannot have volume and would love to put it in vibrate mode from this simple process.
When I miss a call I would love an app or part of original software that would allow the capacitive buttons to continuosly blink so I know I missed a text or phone call (especially when my phone is in silent mode).
When I remove my Lumia 920 from the charger plate or place my phone on it a noise is generated. I would like to be able to disable this. I sometimes pick up my phone off the charger and the noise wakes my wife in the middle of the night. This brings me to my next problem and usual reason for me lifting the phone off my charging stand....
When I run my alarm app or clock app the capacitive buttons stay lit all night long. I have tried many apps but they all do the same when in the charging stand. The apps offer the option of dimming the clock which is great but when the capacitive buttons are lit all night lighting up my room is does no good. I am not sure if this is a software issue or an app developer could fix this. I have seen many complaints on the apps themselves for this issue but no one from what I have seen has been able to fix this. I love using my phone as my alarm clock and/or clock but this ruins it for me.
Would like an app tile showing date/time that i could put on my live tile screen. The current date/time you have to pull down from top of screen and it disappears. I have seen something like this kind of tile on the HTC phone but not for Nokia.
In the "people" section of the phone I would love an option to delete from the "recent" section. Currently if you long press on one of the tiles it just gives you an option to pin to start or edit. If you could add delete to this option I would again be very happy.
I was hoping for some of these issues to be added/corrected in the latest update but they were not. I love this phone but if I am going to convince my Android and Apple friends to convert its little things like this thatmake it difficult. If these issues were corrected I think this would be the greatest device I have used to date. I can deal with the lack of certain apps (there are always others that compare) but functionality is what I need.
If anyone knows any solutions to the above mentioned items I would appreciate the feedback! This forum is awesome and I enjoy reading it everyday. Nokia if your listening please put these in your next update and let the windows world take off!
- 12-22-2012, 04:41 PM #3
Thanks techblogger for you help. Unfortunately I am very experienced in the IT world and these items I mentioned are deficiencies with the phone and its software. Hopefully someone important is taking notes and can make this a better experience than what the current phone arena offers us. I would be glad for someone to show me "how to" correct these annoying problems with the phone.
12-22-2012, 04:58 PM #4
- 654 Posts
2. This isn't available. It seems that Microsoft believes that one level is easier to manage.
3. You can tap the icon to quickly turn the volume on/off and you can choose off vs vibrate in Settings, Ringtones+sounds.
4. The phone doesn't do that and third-party apps can't yet do that with approved API functions.
5. The sounds came with the previous update. Sorry, you're stuck with them for now.
6. This is a Nokia thing, I think. It wasn't this way on my Lumia 900 or my other WP7 phones.
7. The time is always shown on the Start screen; it's the other indicators that appear and disappear when touched. Third-party apps don't run in the background, except periodically if given permission and then only every 30 minutes, which wouldn't be useful for updating a clock tile. HTC, Nokia, and the other manufacturers get access to more functions than regular developers, which is how HTC did it.
8. While not there yet, I wouldn't be surprised if it comes since it is already possible to delete items from the call history.
12-23-2012, 10:25 AM #6
- 654 Posts
It may be worth repeating -- since a lot of other threads have questioned it -- that the icon button in the volume control is simply a quick toggle for the phone's ringer. It does NOT silence other sounds or change the state of the vibrate setting.
- 12-23-2012, 03:13 PM #7
Thanks for taking time to reply!
1. The calendar app will show your appointments when you look at it in full month view (it is tiny and hard to see, barely useful and you cannot zoom in or out) but the language is not set to english so what you can see you cannot interpret anyway. I was hoping Nokia knew of this flaw and fixed in current update but they did not. As far as I can see there is no way to change that.
3. Yes, you can change the settings to offer vibrate but then on the main screen when you hit volume up and down you only have the choice to select ring/vibrate and vibrate. It would be nice to have the options of ring, no ring and vibrate. Oh well, maybe with another update we may get lucky.
4. Ability to have different options for capacitive buttons would be great and make it a better functioning all around device. Again, maybe in an update or third party app.
5. With the latest update the sound (chime) only occurs when I remove it from my wireless charger not when I put it on. Either way I would like an option to turn this notification on or off.
6. This renders my phone useless as a clock/alarm and I'm not sure how good it is to have the capacitive buttons lit every night for 8 straight hours either. Its a shame because that is a big reason for use with my phone, especially with wireless charger (stand) that I purchased. Again hopefully Nokia changes this or opens it up to developers. Your Nokia 900 seems like it had some great features, I did not have any experience with that but hopefully Nokia gives us the functions of that phone plus more.
7. Ya I guess I got spoiled with some of my Android apps but I understand now with the live tiles not actually always being "live" to offer time, etc. Thanks for explaining that.
8. Hopefully your right but this update did not include it so it makes me worry.
Anyway, I love this phone but with these areas addressed I truly believe it could really give Iphone and Android a run for their money and even surpass them. I just purchased the Nokia Monster Purify headphones (non-bluetooth) to use with the phone and the work and sound great. The weight is not bad and I can wear them for a decent amount of time without discomfort. Thanks again for your input!
12-23-2012, 03:59 PM #8
- 10 Posts
Just a side note on the calendar issue.
I noticed this as well and had done a little bit of research.
Found out that the small text in full month view are Latin words which roughly translate to a description of how busy you are for that day (or something to that effect)
You can definitely do a Google search to find more definitive answers.
Also, just for fun, you can screenshot the month view and zoom in on the picture to get a better view of the small text.
It's actually pretty neat stuff!
- By lottidah in forum Nokia Lumia 920Replies: 43Last Post: 06-05-2014, 04:39 AM
- By Jason De Castro in forum Nokia Lumia 920Replies: 10Last Post: 12-24-2012, 07:47 AM
- By Onyx Z32 in forum Nokia Lumia 920Replies: 12Last Post: 12-19-2012, 10:21 PM
- By sajus in forum Nokia Lumia 920Replies: 0Last Post: 11-17-2012, 05:08 AM
- By rajkumr in forum Nokia Lumia 920Replies: 8Last Post: 11-05-2012, 10:58 AM