Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By eharris560

*Damn - wrote 30 lines and closed the window* F**K!!!!

I am going to keep this brief because I don’t have time to write everything again. All you guys have to know is that I have a sentimental attachment towards Nokia. I have grown up with their devices and would not want to lose them, that too from Apple and Samsung. We all know, realise and accept the fact that WP8 has a very impressive UI and a great OS. We also know that it lacks on apps and functionality when it comes to business use (As I have heard other users complaining, I am OK with it). MS has been in this business for so many years, the least we would expect off them is to provide great business functionality without any bugs when they launch a product through Billion $ marketing, to evoke a widespread adoption of companies to use WP8 devices with their employees.

Anyways, hopefully that will be taken care off with time and that too before Apple comes out with a killer device next year! I am here for one thing. Today morning I woke up, and saw another Instagram post (CMON!). Isnt it enough? We, as WP users do not really need it. But we know our friends/family do not want to switch over because WP might not have apps suited to them, which is making them to not switch even if they enjoy the UI and like what MS has done with WP8. But we want them to, we want to somehow convince them to switch over, because the more users jump into this, the more confidence we can provide the developers! Simple as that - it’s a cylce. Has to start somewhere. Developers are not going to develop a product if they cannot monetize their product from Day1!

For this same reason, please let me introduce a Google Doc Spreadsheet (I know, I should not be using Google but then it has a good cloud functionality so that all the users around the world can use this and I do not have access to Office 365, sorry!) - http://goo.gl/6Xz2a

This is simply a petition to raise our voice. The fields are:

1. Name (you can keep it blank if you would like to keep your privacy)
    2. Twitter handle - would be good to know and connect with like minded people)
    3. WP Central ID - we should have atleast one name to tag you with (either of these 3 or all!)
    4. Petition for APP development - this is where you write which app you would like to raise your voice for. Write as many as you want, but remember each APP you vote for - please make a separate entry. Do not write names of 4 apps in one go. INDIVIDUAL ENTRY FOR EVERY APP PLEASE!
    5. Country you are from
    6. City you are from

EXAMPLE:

1. Name: Kavin U. (my name)
    2. Twitter handle - kavinl
    3. WP Central ID - nbktonic
    4. Petition for app dev - Instagram
    5. Country - UAE
    6. City - Dubai.
    7. Hit Submit

Now if I want to raise my voice for “Mint.com”, I will refollow the above procedure to create a new entry within the spreadsheet file.

I hope this is simple enough. Every thing you share is being saved in a spread sheet file and I think it would be a good idea to give this about 3 months to circulate around the world (gather your friends and family!) - the more involvement we have, the better! Today is 23rd December 2012 (Thank god the world did not end! Screw you Mayan, I wanna play some more with my Yellow Nokia Lumia 920;) ), and I think it would be good to close this on 15th April, 2013.

Guys, if you think this has to be revised in any ways, please let me know latest within a day - since I am leaving for holidays.

At the end, I will filter down responses with drop down menus and submit the voice to individual development teams so that they can understand the market and hopefully decide to work on developing favorite apps for all of us!
    Last edited by nbktonic; 12-23-2012 at 01:07 AM.

Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    Learn to code and make your own apps. That's what I'm trying to do.

Quote Originally Posted by boo516 View Post
    Learn to code and make your own apps. That's what I'm trying to do.
    Interesting thought, but I do not have the motivation to code myself since I am no where closely related to programming/IT. Would like the experts to take back control on this lost support and let them know there are users out there who needs them to support he ecosystem and help MS/Nokia grow and compete. If they don't develop, this is slowly going to dissolve and be forgotten.

"Redmond's opportunity is right now" . "We need developers and we need adoption"
    This is the time fellows. We don't need to hold back to show our love, interest and support to the whole eco system. Read the blog written up by a 30 day user of WP8 (from iOS), by Brad McCarty

An iPhone Lover's Take on 30 Days with Windows Phone 8
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,476 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nbktonic View Post
    Interesting thought, but I do not have the motivation to code myself since I am no where closely related to programming/IT.
    Please enlighten me on how being a photographer/DJ (which is what I have trained to be), is anywhere closely related to programming/IT? I am going to be a photographer by trade, and DJing as a secondary trade (should life's plans go correctly), but even I am learning to program for Windows Phone. Seriously, just give it a try.

"Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."

Quote Originally Posted by Paladinleeds View Post
    Please enlighten me on how being a photographer/DJ (which is what I have trained to be), is anywhere closely related to programming/IT? I am going to be a photographer by trade, and DJing as a secondary trade (should life's plans go correctly), but even I am learning to program for Windows Phone. Seriously, just give it a try.
    Handling all day to day operations for 4 restaurants full time and doing a MBA, where am I going to get the time to learn and develop an app? I'll do what's in my capability and not plunge into something I will leave half way through. Yes, Ill listen to both of you and give it a shot during the summer when I am free. Thanks for the advice!

Update on Ideas that users have voiced for:

Instagram
    Teamviewer
    Mint.com
    Poke
    Snapchat
    Carbon
    Times of India
    Medical apps (would appreciate if you have a particular name in your mind which would help me to directly send in an email to the respective developer for it's need)
    Google chrome (now we should all realize the battle between Google and MS - we shall keep the optimism on a high during this petition)
    Path
    Spotify
    Flipboard

Remember the success of this all depends on the number of hits each app has.

as a developer, it's just about numbers. You want apps? Buy more phones :)

3.5% market share for Windows Phone vs 55% iPhone and 41% Android (us) - doesn't take a rocket scientist (or a programmer) to figure out where to spend developer resources.

The "point" of windows 8/metro/rt/phone is to show the value of hitting that huge desktop and growing tablet and tiny phone market with essentially one development effort. So you should be telling these companies to develop for Metro/Win8 App Store (and at the same time consider the tiny extra effort needed to push out a WP8 version, too.)
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by johninsj View Post

3.5% market share for Windows Phone vs 55% iPhone and 41% Android (us) - doesn't take a rocket scientist (or a programmer) to figure out where to spend developer resources.

The "point" of windows 8/metro/rt/phone is to show the value of hitting that huge desktop and growing tablet and tiny phone market with essentially one development effort. So you should be telling these companies to develop for Metro/Win8 App Store (and at the same time consider the tiny extra effort needed to push out a WP8 version, too.)
    Does make sense.

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    http://www.change.org/petitions/goog...-windows-phone

Please promote this petition! It was created in another thread, I have got 10 people to sign on and now, we need more people to sign on!

Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    I'm doing a full undergraduate courseload for a bba and working a halftime day job, trust me if you really want to do it that badly. You can do it. All it takes is a book on C# off amazon and the free videos microsoft provides on learning the sdk for WP8. I'll even link you the vids.

Windows Phone 8 Jump Start Training is here
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johninsj View Post

Instagram is full of it. They have an app that will be download by 90% of WP user. So let do the numbers. Say 3% of the market = 3 million users. That's over 2.5 million new users. They can easily charge more for advertising. I think they have *** servers that can't handle the raise in new sign ups.
    nbktonic likes this.