Stand or plate (or pillow?!)

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Still on the fence with my wireless charging accessory.
It seems like the plate is much more popular than the stand. Wouldn't the stand be more convenient though? You can still see the screen when you're charging your device.
The pillow seems really fashionable and a interesting touch, but I don't know how practical it is...
Right now in Canada I could buy the stand from MS store and the plate from Amazon.com., but I don't think there's anywhere I could buy the pillow yet.

Which one do you Luminers prefer?

Nathan Pridemore

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I like the plate integrated into my desk. So I can just sit it on the desk where I normally do and now it charges! Just have to route out a slot under the desk to put the charge pad in.

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I like the plate integrated into my desk. So I can just sit it on the desk where I normally do and now it charges! Just have to route out a slot under the desk to put the charge pad in.
Thanks. I think I'm leaning towards the stand as well. Is it true that only the stand has NFC built in? And the LED light?

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The correct answer is whichever you find most appealing and whatever is available. I have a black charging plate for my red 920. I wanted red but oh well

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I have the plate. I got the stand for my dad. I'm not as impressed with the stand, it's not as sturdy as I thought it would be.

steeleblue

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I have the stand. I like it a lot but remember the screen goes black. So for right now I can't find a clock that displays all the time. You have to touch the power button to bring anything up. I don't know if my stand is defective but the NFC button doesn't work. Doesn't bother me because even with that you still have to touch something to display anything. Now if I can find a clock that stays on all the time so I could use it for a nightstand clock that would make it more worthwhile. If anyone knows of one let me know.

As things are now, which ever one you like the most will do the job. Even with some functions lacking I prefer the stand. Small footprint is the best thing.

cateyetech

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I use the stand on my desk at home but I don't use the NFC. It works great even with a Otterbox defender case. You will like wireless charging !!!

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I got the stand from MS store today. Happy with it! I think it's very sturdy and definitely works better on desks (which is where I charge my phone).

FUnny how I ended up getting everything in black.. even though at the beginning I resisted a black phone. I also bought the black Purity On-Ear headphones, pretty nice I'd say.

MDak280

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I think it all depends on where you're going to put your plate and how you want to use it. I got a plate because I just plan on leaving it next to my bed so I can charge my phone over night, and I have an alarm clock so I don't see the need for a nightstand clock. I could care less about NFC, but it is a neat feature. Just needs more time. So the stand won't be of much use for me. As for the pillow, I don't like the idea of paying more just for a pouch-thing that goes over the charging plate. Yeah, it looks nice but I'm not a fan :p

o4komodo

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I bought the stand from Yorkdale's MS store. Wanted white to match my phone...
NFC is great but damn the app loads so slow. It's almost annoying at how slow it loads.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I would get the pillow myself, probably. A red one.

The plate would be OK too, but I don't like the design that it's smaller than the phone. Also I'm a bit OCD about "hard surfaces" when putting my phone on to them, so I would find myself putting it there too carefully so that it won't fall off (cos the plate is smaller than the phone) or so that it won't "impact hard" on the plate. The pillow is both larger than the phone and a soft surface, meaning I wouldn't have to worry about either. I also think the red would look nice.

The plate wouldn't be a bad option either, seeing that you get the built in NFC thing with it, it might prove useful to some, but somehow I've never been into stands like that, so I would go with the pillow personally.

Tahiti Bob

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I have the stand. I like it a lot but remember the screen goes black. So for right now I can't find a clock that displays all the time. You have to touch the power button to bring anything up. I don't know if my stand is defective but the NFC button doesn't work. Doesn't bother me because even with that you still have to touch something to display anything. Now if I can find a clock that stays on all the time so I could use it for a nightstand clock that would make it more worthwhile. If anyone knows of one let me know.

As things are now, which ever one you like the most will do the job. Even with some functions lacking I prefer the stand. Small footprint is the best thing.
MetroTime is a clock that stays on because you can disable the lockscreen in the app settings. It's a pretty sexy app too, I've been using it for months (using typographic option).
MetroTime | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United Kingdom)

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
MetroTime is a clock that stays on because you can disable the lockscreen in the app settings. It's a pretty sexy app too, I've been using it for months (using typographic option).
MetroTime | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United Kingdom)

Another app similar to this, with a variety of amazing clock/weather designs, is Designer Clock Stand. However, I'm not sure if it prevents the screen from locking, which would lower it's usability. Also, it's never been updated.

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I bought the stand from Yorkdale's MS store. Wanted white to match my phone...
NFC is great but damn the app loads so slow. It's almost annoying at how slow it loads.
Wait but how is your phone white if you're Canadian...?! Did you get an unlocked phone? They don't have white in stock though... well they do have the Purity headphones in white, if that matters- -
NFC is still not loading for me, can't press to launch the apps just keeps loading. Wonder why..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99