Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Still on the fence with my wireless charging accessory.
    It seems like the plate is much more popular than the stand. Wouldn't the stand be more convenient though? You can still see the screen when you're charging your device.
    The pillow seems really fashionable and a interesting touch, but I don't know how practical it is...
    Right now in Canada I could buy the stand from MS store and the plate from Amazon.com., but I don't think there's anywhere I could buy the pillow yet.

Which one do you Luminers prefer?
    I like the plate integrated into my desk. So I can just sit it on the desk where I normally do and now it charges! Just have to route out a slot under the desk to put the charge pad in.
    Thanked by:
    david90531 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Pridemore View Post
    I like the plate integrated into my desk. So I can just sit it on the desk where I normally do and now it charges! Just have to route out a slot under the desk to put the charge pad in.
    Thanks. I think I'm leaning towards the stand as well. Is it true that only the stand has NFC built in? And the LED light?

I'd be willing to purhcase a pillow (once it's finally released...)
    Just for the aesthetics and the cool factor. B)
    david90531 likes this.

Global Posts
    2,285 Global Posts
    The correct answer is whichever you find most appealing and whatever is available. I have a black charging plate for my red 920. I wanted red but oh well

Global Posts
    1,638 Global Posts
    I have the plate. I got the stand for my dad. I'm not as impressed with the stand, it's not as sturdy as I thought it would be.

I'd probably grab the pillow. A softer feel than putting your phone on the hard plate

Quote Originally Posted by david90531 View Post
    Thanks. I think I'm leaning towards the stand as well. Is it true that only the stand has NFC built in? And the LED light?
    NFC, I believe that is correct. As for the LED, my plate has one that lights up when my phone is charging.

Quote Originally Posted by MacDaMachine View Post
    I'd probably grab the pillow. A softer feel than putting your phone on the hard plate
    just an fyi, the plate has a rubber ring that is slightly raised so the phone is not sitting straight on the "hard" portion of the plate.

I have the stand. I like it a lot but remember the screen goes black. So for right now I can't find a clock that displays all the time. You have to touch the power button to bring anything up. I don't know if my stand is defective but the NFC button doesn't work. Doesn't bother me because even with that you still have to touch something to display anything. Now if I can find a clock that stays on all the time so I could use it for a nightstand clock that would make it more worthwhile. If anyone knows of one let me know.

As things are now, which ever one you like the most will do the job. Even with some functions lacking I prefer the stand. Small footprint is the best thing.
    david90531 likes this.

I use the stand on my desk at home but I don't use the NFC. It works great even with a Otterbox defender case. You will like wireless charging !!!
    david90531 likes this.

I got the stand from MS store today. Happy with it! I think it's very sturdy and definitely works better on desks (which is where I charge my phone).

FUnny how I ended up getting everything in black.. even though at the beginning I resisted a black phone. I also bought the black Purity On-Ear headphones, pretty nice I'd say.

Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    I think it all depends on where you're going to put your plate and how you want to use it. I got a plate because I just plan on leaving it next to my bed so I can charge my phone over night, and I have an alarm clock so I don't see the need for a nightstand clock. I could care less about NFC, but it is a neat feature. Just needs more time. So the stand won't be of much use for me. As for the pillow, I don't like the idea of paying more just for a pouch-thing that goes over the charging plate. Yeah, it looks nice but I'm not a fan :p
    Thanked by:
    david90531 likes this.

Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    I have the plate now but only because it was free. Waiting for Amazon to stock yellow pillow before I switch.
    david90531 likes this.

I bought the stand from Yorkdale's MS store. Wanted white to match my phone...
    NFC is great but damn the app loads so slow. It's almost annoying at how slow it loads.
    Thanked by:
    david90531 likes this.

Global Posts
    2,540 Global Posts
    I would get the pillow myself, probably. A red one.

The plate would be OK too, but I don't like the design that it's smaller than the phone. Also I'm a bit OCD about "hard surfaces" when putting my phone on to them, so I would find myself putting it there too carefully so that it won't fall off (cos the plate is smaller than the phone) or so that it won't "impact hard" on the plate. The pillow is both larger than the phone and a soft surface, meaning I wouldn't have to worry about either. I also think the red would look nice.

The plate wouldn't be a bad option either, seeing that you get the built in NFC thing with it, it might prove useful to some, but somehow I've never been into stands like that, so I would go with the pillow personally.

Quote Originally Posted by steeleblue View Post
    I have the stand. I like it a lot but remember the screen goes black. So for right now I can't find a clock that displays all the time. You have to touch the power button to bring anything up. I don't know if my stand is defective but the NFC button doesn't work. Doesn't bother me because even with that you still have to touch something to display anything. Now if I can find a clock that stays on all the time so I could use it for a nightstand clock that would make it more worthwhile. If anyone knows of one let me know.

As things are now, which ever one you like the most will do the job. Even with some functions lacking I prefer the stand. Small footprint is the best thing.
    MetroTime is a clock that stays on because you can disable the lockscreen in the app settings. It's a pretty sexy app too, I've been using it for months (using typographic option).
    MetroTime | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United Kingdom)
    Thanked by:
    david90531 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chevans920 View Post
    just an fyi, the plate has a rubber ring that is slightly raised so the phone is not sitting straight on the "hard" portion of the plate.
    Yea its still hard tho

Global Posts
    1,638 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahiti Bob View Post
    MetroTime is a clock that stays on because you can disable the lockscreen in the app settings. It's a pretty sexy app too, I've been using it for months (using typographic option).
    Another app similar to this, with a variety of amazing clock/weather designs, is Designer Clock Stand. However, I'm not sure if it prevents the screen from locking, which would lower it's usability. Also, it's never been updated.

Quote Originally Posted by o4komodo View Post
    I bought the stand from Yorkdale's MS store. Wanted white to match my phone...
    NFC is great but damn the app loads so slow. It's almost annoying at how slow it loads.
    Wait but how is your phone white if you're Canadian...?! Did you get an unlocked phone? They don't have white in stock though... well they do have the Purity headphones in white, if that matters- -
    NFC is still not loading for me, can't press to launch the apps just keeps loading. Wonder why..

Quote Originally Posted by Tahiti Bob View Post
    Hey that's my go-to clock app for WP7, just downloaded on my L920, but still haven't paid for it..
    Also I find Gravity Clock awesome, though at first felt pretty silly paying for it, it made a few of my friends jealous xD

Global Posts
    365 Global Posts
    I have the stand for my HTC 8x on Verizon. I love it. The plate has the LED, but not NFC.
    Sprint (9 1/2 years) - Samsung SPH-A460, Sanyo PM-8200(S), Samsung A900 "Blade" & Samsung SPH-M620 "Upstage" simultaneously (2 lines), Samsung Instinct & Samsung Upstage simultaneously (2 lines), Palm Pre & Palm Pixi simultaneously (2 lines), HTC Evo, HTC Arrive::::Verizon (since March 2012) - iPhone 4s, HP Pre3.....[S]Looking forward to going back[/S] Finally back to Windows Phone with the HTC 8x [S](iPhone 4s as work line, HP Pre3 to play with)[/S]...now on a Nokia Lumia Icon. Love my Gen 1 Surface RT!!
    david90531 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkgift View Post
    I have the stand for my HTC 8x on Verizon. I love it. The plate has the LED, but not NFC.
    No NFC? Is this a different kind of stand you're talking about? The Nokia DT-910 has NFC capabilities

Global Posts
    481 Global Posts
    I bought the stand because they had it in the Microsoft store at the time and I really wanted wireless charging. Later, the Fatboy went on sale at Verizon and I picked it up for $59.99. It arrives today. I'll post back my impressions after it arrives.

Update: Ha! Fatboy arrived right after I posted this. It's a little bigger than I expected, but not too bad. If you're expecting a "pillow-like" quality to it, you'll be disappointed. You can feel the hard platform just below the surface. It honestly just feels like one of Nokia's standard plates covered by a cloth with some stuffing. In fact, it is a standard Nokia plate. You can slide it out of the bag and just use like that. Meh. It charges the phone and it's different, I suppose.

Overall, I'm a tad disappointed. Not even sure why the marketed this as a different product at all. They could have just sold the "Fatboy Bag" for $9.99.
    Last edited by gravage; 12-24-2012 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Fatboy arrived
    Thanked by:
    david90531 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gravage View Post
    I bought the stand because they had it in the Microsoft store at the time and I really wanted wireless charging. Later, the Fatboy went on sale at Verizon and I picked it up for $59.99. It arrives today. I'll post back my impressions after it arrives.

Update: Ha! Fatboy arrived right after I posted this. It's a little bigger than I expected, but not too bad. If you're expecting a "pillow-like" quality to it, you'll be disappointed. You can feel the hard platform just below the surface. It honestly just feels like one of Nokia's standard plates covered by a cloth with some stuffing. In fact, it is a standard Nokia plate. You can slide it out of the bag and just use like that. Meh. It charges the phone and it's different, I suppose.

Overall, I'm a tad disappointed. Not even sure why the marketed this as a different product at all. They could have just sold the "Fatboy Bag" for $9.99.
    Wow thanks for this. Seems like everyone feels the same about the pillow. So it's really just a cover that goes over the plate? Hmm.. for $49 I would get it, but I doubt we will ever see that price here in Canada, so I guess I'll just stick with my stand for now.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast