Got the unlocked 920... no 4G

firehawk_1

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
so, im disappointed here. I just heard from another forum that the unlocked devices which you can get from say clove or expansys are not 4G enabled!
thats poor advertising on their part and other parties involved. So I am on a 4G plan from EE (Sim only) and spent alot of money to get the red unlocked device. why unlocked? Well so if I switch networks or travel abroad, I can pop in a microsim and be done with it - works.

I found out that the device I have does not have 4G on it because of the firmware? Could this be true? Why was it not made clear from either party?
how can I enable it on my device which I bought?

Thank you!

nander

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I ordered mine from Clove and according to them it should be 4G compatible. Nokia does automatically configure the phones network settings based on what sim you put in, so in my case I don't have a 4G option since I'm on 3, but I'm guessing, not 100% sure, the phone will show a 4G option if it realizes it's a 4G sim. If not then just set it to 3G and see what data speeds its pulling down, it might just be a case of mislabeling.

firehawk_1

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I tried that nander, no go. I am on a 4G plan with a 4G sim and was in london today... only showed 3G and 2G options. Download speed still the same as 3G. And yes, london is 4G

dlusted

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Have you thought of flashing the EE ROM to enable 4G?
Then, when eventually an unlocked 4G ROM; you can reflash accordingly to go unlocked again?

firehawk_1

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
good point but here is the problem:

1) I dont know how to do it and do not want to brick my phone
2) I didnt spend around ?510 to flash it to an EE ROM when I couldve gone to EE and bought a contract with the phone... want it sim free/unlocked :)

Sachin Thakur

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
A Phones4U representative told me that the black versions they sell for Orange & T-mobile are only 3G. I've read it elsewhere that only black Lumia 920s have a 3G version.

firehawk_1

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
that would be stupid since the whole point is, its a 4G phone on a 4G network....
dont trust anything P4U tell you as they are rubbish and misleading in the mass. I got missold the phone as they said it was simfree/unlocked but it wasnt. alot of people complained about that

Perus

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
so, im disappointed here. I just heard from another forum that the unlocked devices which you can get from say clove or expansys are not 4G enabled!
thats poor advertising on their part and other parties involved. So I am on a 4G plan from EE (Sim only) and spent alot of money to get the red unlocked device. why unlocked? Well so if I switch networks or travel abroad, I can pop in a microsim and be done with it - works.

I found out that the device I have does not have 4G on it because of the firmware? Could this be true? Why was it not made clear from either party?
how can I enable it on my device which I bought?

Thank you!

If the SIM/plan is verified 4G ready you could try enter/dial ##3282# and then tap the ... settings and change to 4G only in drop list and then back to automatic !important!..it worked for me with the Norwegian variant in Sweden pre-portico though ;)

/Per

firehawk_1

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
interesting. Thanks Perus.
well unfortunately, the area I live in has no 4G not unless I go to the next town which is 30 mins away and dont visit as often. but because I was there today... thought I would check it out and was disappointed I couldnt get it for some reason.

there are alot of field test items in the list. which one do I choose?

from the LTE range I have this:

LTE
LTE-Intra Neighbors
LTE-Inter Neighbors
LTE-GSM Neighbors
LTE-WCDMA neighbors

alphonsohall

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Dont know if this helps, but my black 920 is a tmobile phone on a 3G contract (UK) and under>settings> mobile network>highest connection speed.... i am given the option of selecting 3G or 4G, so, presumably, if i insert a 4G sim i assume it will work with 4G?

firehawk_1

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
nope. I only get 2G and 3G and I have an EE sim only 4G plan. Even though I dont live in an area where there is 4G, I am able to go to a city near me which has 4G but that did not show as 4G AT ALL. That is what prompted me to create this thread :)

BGBrereton

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
This is frustrating. I was planning to get an unlocked 920 from Clove, mainly to break the hold the operators have over the updates. But I also want it to be 4G-ready for when 4G becomes more widely available next year. Have you tried contacting who you bought it from for assistance? In the case of Clove, their site clearly states the spec as LTE/4G so I believe you should be entitled to a refund.

BGBrereton

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
This is on the Clove Review page for the 920: "Re 4g, all Lumias are 4g ready, including yours. However, it currently needs to be updatedby firmware from EE in the UK. Later, when more companies offer 4g (and EE exclusivity ends) we would expect Nokia to send a firmware update ota to enable 4g irrespective of provider."

And: "... However, my device only had 2g/3g options under settings, which Im told is a sign that the phone isnt 4G-enabled, which the salespitch for the phone suggests that it is. Any comment on that from Clove?

Clove Response - The box of the units stipulates it is 4G ready and we have had no other complaints regarding the lack of 4G on these handsets."

The implication is that the ONLY way to get a 4G 920 in the UK at the moment is to buy it locked to EE. You have to cross your fingers and hope a firware update will unlock this capability in the future.

firehawk_1

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
well they should have said this to me when I bought it. I didnt find the reviews/comments at the time.
its pointless on people dishing out hundreds of pounds for the unlocked phone to then be told to get the EE firmware and flash it....

Hiro2

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
good point but here is the problem:

1) I don't know how to do it and do not want to brick my phone
2) I didn't spend around ?510 to flash it to an EE ROM when I could've gone to EE and bought a contract with the phone... want it sim free/unlocked :)

You shouldn't have spent that much money in the first place, anyway...

follow these instructions: http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...after-reset-flash-process-defined-inside.html
Couple of corrections: name folder RM-821 (not 820), download firmware 059Q9M1 (can search by code). This is unlocked German firmware, with 4G and everything, also doesn't brick the phone after a reboot, tested it myself, most of EU versions fail after reboot, this one is working fine. You can change it to English while setting up your phone (asks to pick a language).

uktivo

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
If the above is correct by law, if you have purchased a phone from clove under the assumption it was 4g ready as advertised, you are entitled to full refund on sending the phone back and advising this is the reason for return. It's classed as selling under false representation.

But, before doing so, ask yourself a question. How long realistically will it be before 4g rolls out throughout the UK? By that time would you still have this handset or just about to take on a brand new 4g contract....

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

firehawk_1

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
good point. Well, I am on a 4G plan now (2 year plan) so... I have to have a 4G phone to take advantage obviously. I cannot downgrade the tariff because it is not permitted.
I may give the flashing of the ROM a try but very wary about it, since I've never done it before and dont want to brick it (not saying hiro2 is incorrect or anything, just my own personal hesitation)

Sachin Thakur

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
But, before doing so, ask yourself a question. How long realistically will it be before 4g rolls out throughout the UK? By that time would you still have this handset or just about to take on a brand new 4g contract....

Other network providers are starting their 4G services in Spring 2013. I live in a place where there's no 4G. But then, why would I connect to 4G at home, when I can connect to wifi? My place of work has 4G, & a couple of places I visit regularly for conferences etc. has 4G.

It doesn't really matter if 4G is rolled throughout the UK before going for it. Even 3G hasn't got full UK coverage yet.

dlusted

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Other network providers are starting their 4G services in Spring 2013. I live in a place where there's no 4G. But then, why would I connect to 4G at home, when I can connect to wifi? My place of work has 4G, & a couple of places I visit regularly for conferences etc. has 4G.

It doesn't really matter if 4G is rolled throughout the UK before going for it. Even 3G hasn't got full UK coverage yet.

that might be the cause BUT I'm now getting 4G where before it was only GPRS... So, maybe 4G is making up for the short fall of the roll out in 3G.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss