Got the unlocked 920... no 4G

Vectivus

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
@Perus, I just saw your post, did what you suggested and voila, 4G has now replaced the H icon that was showing since I first fired up my unlocked Lumia 920. FYI, the device was bought from the UK (Clove) to be used in Greece. My provider (Cosmote) supposedly has just now enabled its 4G network, so I asked them to "4G enable" my contract. I also asked if a "4G SIM" was required but a rep of theirs told me that there is no such thing as a 4G SIM and that the 3G SIM should work just fine. I have yet to do any real life speed test but seeing the 4G sign I guess is a good erm... sign.

@FireHawk, you need to press the three little dots on the down right side after dialing and go into settings, though since it's been some days you must have found out by now.

Thanks again :)

firehawk_1

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
nope. This is the response I got from Clove today:

Sorry to hear about the issues you have been having with your Nokia Lumia 920.

We have been advised by Nokia that the handset is 4G ready, but for consumers trying to use the EE 4G network and have purchased directly from Clove that you are required to contact the Nokia Careline on 0845 0455555 and request a swap to an EE locked device.

Please be aware however that you will lose the ability to have other networks SIM in use once the device is swapped due to the SIM lock. The Nokia manufacturers limited warranty will transfer to the swapped phone.

that is pathetic! paid a large amount of money for an unlocked device, only to be told that it does not really support 4G, but it is 4G capable, and to contact nokia to swap it for a locked device (and in black/white) locked to EE.

stupid! waste of my money and such a con.

so not only am I affected but also Expansys and cyberport in germany along with many other unlocked devices.
WOW.....

BGBrereton

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
Well I'm intrigued. How can a device be "4G ready" and yet not support 4G on a particular network? I'd be interested to know what the explanation from Nokia is - are you going to call the careline number?

firehawk_1

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
nope. im going to go to the Nokia office in london and demand to speak to someone in person. I am not going to dial a local rate number which costs me alot of money already on my mobile phone contract! why should I give them a penny more on ringing their 0845 numbers?
i will be going to their office and not leave until I speak to someone.

uktivo

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
nope. im going to go to the Nokia office in london and demand to speak to someone in person. I am not going to dial a local rate number which costs me alot of money already on my mobile phone contract! why should I give them a penny more on ringing their 0845 numbers?
i will be going to their office and not leave until I speak to someone.

I would have thought this is something Clove are responsible for, after all, they have sold the phone as 4g ready when it clearly isn't.
I'm not entirely sure what Nokia will do to help you except swap you a phone that is network locked. I do agree with you that this isn't acceptable, just don't want you to waste time and money seeking help from someone that didn't sell the phone to you, legally your contract us with clove.

If I were you, i'd be making a call to the owner of clove in the morning and asking them how they can advertise and sell a product that isn't able to match the description. That in UK law is illegal and something they need to fix to your satisfaction. Just be prepared incase they say, ok, we will refund you the cost paid, which will leave you phone-less.

Good luck.. hope you resolve it..

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

firehawk_1

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Thanks uktivo.

I did contact them and that is the response I got. Clove arent quite responsible - it is the description they get from the manufacturer i.e Nokia and Nokia not disclosing all the information.
I didnt buy a contract from Clove. The contract is bought seperately (Sim only plan).

uktivo

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks uktivo.

I did contact them and that is the response I got. Clove arent quite responsible - it is the description they get from the manufacturer i.e Nokia and Nokia not disclosing all the information.
I didnt buy a contract from Clove. The contract is bought seperately (Sim only plan).

From my little knowledge of UK law. Saying they didn't know isn't acceptable. They as a reseller have the responsibility to provide to you the end customer 100% of what they advertised and for what you have paid for.

If Nokia has misled with its information, then clove need to take that up for themselves.

It will be interesting to see how this resolves keep us posted.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

firehawk_1

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Thanks uktivo.

well Clove said that they agree with my points and arguments and they understand. They then told me to send an email with it all to one of their email addresses and they said that they are going to apperently have some meeting with Nokia in the New Year sometime and that will also be raised.

But still though, wasting time here. There are no 2 ways about it. They mislead and missold (whoever it is, Nokia or Clove).
To be honest, I do blame Nokia for this because P4U in the UK did a shoddy job at selling the devices and misleading customers all the time. I was a victim of that too. They said "oh yeh, its unlocked. itll work no worries" then found out, its locked. Requested a refund which thankfully went through ok as normally companies these days dont do refunds regardless of your reasons.
Whether they were trying to make a quick buck.. i dont know. just shows the state of companies and how they operate these days. shocking. its how Microsoft unfortunately get a bad rep when its not even their fault

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
@Firehawk_1

This awful situation is all because EE had an exclusivity deal to be the only re-sellers of the 920 in the UK. The good news is that that deal is coming to an end in January and as such Nokia will release an update to enable 4G on non EE devices. I know this doesn't change the shoddy treatment you've put up with so far but I'd suggest you wait for the update and not try flashing to an EE ROM.

firehawk_1

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Thanks WorzelGummage.
At the end of the day, they released unlocked handsets regardless of it being exclusive to EE. When unlocked, and a customer has an EE 4G plan, they expect for 4G to work on an unlocked device. :)
once again, no where has it been explained. not even on the nokia UK website. The only thing happening is arguments being built up against them (and whoever else is involved) legally and morally.

DanBB1

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
nope. This is the response I got from Clove today:

that is pathetic! paid a large amount of money for an unlocked device, only to be told that it does not really support 4G, but it is 4G capable, and to contact nokia to swap it for a locked device (and in black/white) locked to EE.

stupid! waste of my money and such a con.

so not only am I affected but also Expansys and cyberport in germany along with many other unlocked devices.
WOW.....

"And of course one of the most demanded features of this device is the 4G/LTE connectivity that you can get (subject to your network)", 920 description from clove.co.uk

I don't know if Clove.co.uk have now changed the Lumia 920 description after this issue. It could be that EE has locked out other LTE from phones, other than EE has sold directly. Or that the phones sold by Clove are international version and EE sells their own version(different LTE with different frequencies, not sure). There are lot's of different 4G/LTE standards around the world, and some carriers use other different frequency bands. What i've read in US Verizon and AT&T LTE phones are not compatible with each others networks. You should have checked from either Clove or EE wheter that version of 920 works on their LTE network before buying.

List of LTE networks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

firehawk_1

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Well because I am in the UK and the company is in the UK - it should work in the UK.
Please dont try and blame the innocent customer here and turn it around on them. im sick of this mentality these days.

I DID check with them. They confirmed and said that yes it will work if you are on an EE network and with the appropriate plan, which I am on.
im not the only one with the issue. Same deal with Expansys.

im surprised about this whole band spectrum thing because for 3G phones, you can take them anywhere in the world and it will still give you 3G (obviously depending on your location). I would expect the same, not less, with 4G phones. But that isnt the issue here about location...

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Well I'm intrigued. How can a device be "4G ready" and yet not support 4G on a particular network? I'd be interested to know what the explanation from Nokia is - are you going to call the careline number?
Come here to the US and you will see how network providers fool customers. HSPA plus is being tagged as 4G and LTE is tagged as 4G LTE. According to GSM standards LTE is true 4G. I m not sure if carriers are screwing you guys in EU as well. Also not all 4G frequencies are compatible, classic example is T-Mobile USA.

Sparkyscrum

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
4G ready does not mean 4G active.

However it's confusing, but if you signed a two year 4G contract, why not get a handset with it rather tan go SIM free where your responsible for ensuring everything works.

That said Nokia have stated that your operator and Nokia will do an update to enable 4G, could just be EE won't do this for any devices?

firehawk_1

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I cant believe people dont understand why there are locked and unlocked devices and why a customer/consumer would want to go for an unlocked one....

Another thing: 4G ready and 4G active - regardless, the customer should be aware in clean and clear writing or documentation. none of that given to plain old joe bloggs. Especially when the customer expects 4G period - not partially active, not activated, active but needs a fart from the bumhole to get it to work.... not the point people :)

4G ready also means "yes, phone is ready for 4G and will work if your network has 4G".... so please, dont butcher the english language :)

Last edited:

DanBB1

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Well because I am in the UK and the company is in the UK - it should work in the UK.
Please dont try and blame the innocent customer here and turn it around on them. im sick of this mentality these days.

I DID check with them. They confirmed and said that yes it will work if you are on an EE network and with the appropriate plan, which I am on.
im not the only one with the issue. Same deal with Expansys.

im surprised about this whole band spectrum thing because for 3G phones, you can take them anywhere in the world and it will still give you 3G (obviously depending on your location). I would expect the same, not less, with 4G phones. But that isnt the issue here about location...

If Clove said that it works on EE's LTE, just get a refund and get some other unlocked phone that works on EE's LTE. Problem solved.

firehawk_1

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
not really. alot of hassle, messing around etc... etc... etc....
im a man of principals and will take it further :)
besides you cant get the red color that easily. and now i have the red one. why should i get pushed and shoved around? problem could be the same with the next phone and so on.
its not down to just this phone, down to pretty much any unlocked 920 phone.

dlusted

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
If Clove said that it works on EE's LTE, just get a refund and get some other unlocked phone that works on EE's LTE. Problem solved.
My thoughts exactly....

I understand the want for "unlocked" phones BUT if you're gonna take out a SIM ONLY Plan for 2yrs with EE; why not just buy it from EE direct in the first place and not moan you got stung...
That OR just flash EE ROM and then reflash back to international when it's confirmed 4G is working...

firehawk_1

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
wow. i cannot believe people dont get it.
ok... nevermind.

from now onwards, i only want serious and wholesome responses please, not just a fob off. if you cannot understand from a CUSTOMERS POV, then do not respond.

DanBB1

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Ok. This is getting confusing. Apparantly Expansys uk sells a different version than Clove?
"The Nokia Lumia 920 features 4G LTE capability. Currently the only network operator providing a 4G LTE network is EE., ..." Nokia Lumia 920 (Black) - Expansys.com UK

"It has come to our attention recently there have been claims of the Nokia Lumia 920 unlocked smartphones sold by Expansys do not have 4G LTE capability. We have looked into this issue and can confirm that any Nokia Lumia 920 phones sold from Expansys will be able to connect to a 4G LTE network. Currently, the only network offering 4G LTE capabilities in the UK is the EE network. So it is not the phone that is missing 4G LTE, it is the network." - Nokia Lumia 920 4G LTE Clarification - Insider Blog - Expansys.com UK

So according to Expansys their Lumia 920's are able to use EE's LTE? Or am I missing something. So does the Lumia 920 from Clove uk differ somehow from the 920 from Expansys uk?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb