Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Laura Knotek
  • 1 Post By EG8196

Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Hi, as a general advice I was told years ago that you should wait for an electronic device to be completely empty before you start recharging it.

Specifically what I trying to know is whether I should wait for my Lumia 920's battery to get empty before hooking it up to the charger (regular wall charger) or it s also OK to recharge it at anytime without worrying to end up with a messy battery after a while.

Thanks.

Global Posts
    32,230 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    What you were told applied to older NiCd batteries. The new Li batteries do not have a memory.

Li batteries last longer if they are not completely drained and recharged repeatedly. It is better to top them off regularly, rather than let them discharge fully.

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University
    EG8196 likes this.

>whether I should wait for my Lumia 920's battery to get empty before hooking it up to the charger
    Actually, it is bad for a lithium battery.

I always charge my phone via the computer usb port
    Laura Knotek likes this.

The best time to recharge? Overnight. Just plug it in every night before you go to bed. As was stated before, letting it die is bad for the battery life. Although I do tend to let mine drain to 10% or so once every couple of months and then fully recharge. Doesn't harm battery life too much but it does recalabrate the battery display so it is more accurate.

Been doing this for years with every phone I've had and it works out fine. I read that most li-ion batteries have 3000 charges before they lose more than 80% viability. A charge is from 0-100%. Most people will upgrade phones before they see any real degradation.

Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Thanks guys. Now I will recharge my phone at nights without worrying to damage my phone's battery. Beside I will always have a phone with enough battery to have fun with during the day.

This forum is a star.
    Thanked by:
    11B1P