(new Nokia care suit) How to: get the Portico update for the Global Lumia 920. (Clean install)

MDak280

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Actually, what would happen if I flashed the wrong product code? I don't think there's much difference between my carrier free Singapore version and other carrier free versions. Would something go wrong?

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Re: (30+ new product codes) How to: get the Portico update for the Global Lumia 920. (Clean install

The ATT version doesn't have Pentaband radios in it, so this won't work. What I want to know, is if you flash an ATT phone to Rogers, will that change what sim cards you can use? Or is it still locked to ATT?

Well, that's where the line fades to grey. Everyone is pretty sure that the AT&T, Rogers, and the Build Dev phones all are pentaband capable, but AWS band IV is locked out only by software on the AT&T phones. The clue is that they all sport the same FCC ID: PYAA, which would probably have to mean they all have the same radio transmission capabilities.

So if the hardware is the same (we can only assume), I'm wondering if you flash an AT&T 920 with the Rogers firmware, will it suddenly unlock band IV? And therefore, let us use AT&T phones on T-Mobile, WIND, and Mobilicity?

That's what I REALLY want to know!!! Anyone brave enough to try for me??

Jed Cutler

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Re: (30+ new product codes) How to: get the Portico update for the Global Lumia 920. (Clean install

What the ****? Product Support Tool for Store cannot recognize my Lumia 920.
RM-821 is not in the list...
What am I doing wrong?

This was my problem for the longest time. Turns out I installed older version of NCS(Nokia_Care_Suite_5.0_2012.40.5.8). Downloaded and re-installed Nokia_Care_Suite_5.0_2012.45.4.5 version and wala. My Lumia920 was recognized and was able to update CV HK version. Although I also had to put the FW I downloaded from Navifirm manually on C:\Program Files\Nokia\Packages\Products.

sharkiver

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Re: (4 new Pcodes) How to: get the Portico update for the Global Lumia 920. (Clean install)

my phone came with a hong kong version so i flashed a random version that i thought was australian but it was german!! but it worked fine, no problems, then i re flashed it to Telstra which is my local network, and it is fine, so in my case there was no issues, but I'm sure its a possibility that something could go wrong.

zerotiu

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: How to: Force Portico update for the Global Lumia 920. (Clean install)

If my product code is not on the list, does it mean I have to wait until February '13?

DyeLongJustice

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Well, that's where the line fades to grey. Everyone is pretty sure that the AT&T, Rogers, and the Build Dev phones all are pentaband capable, but AWS band IV is locked out only by software on the AT&T phones. The clue is that they all sport the same FCC ID: PYAA, which would probably have to mean they all have the same radio transmission capabilities.

So if the hardware is the same (we can only assume), I'm wondering if you flash an AT&T 920 with the Rogers firmware, will it suddenly unlock band IV? And therefore, let us use AT&T phones on T-Mobile, WIND, and Mobilicity?

That's what I REALLY want to know!!! Anyone brave enough to try for me??

Well, I certainly hope you're right! I would think someone has tried this by now? I would love to buy the cyan version of the phone on attending and eventually get it for tmobile with 3g bands, but I don't have a lot of faith :(

KelvBlue

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Re: (4 new Pcodes) How to: get the Portico update for the Global Lumia 920. (Clean install)

You need to update your Nokia Care Suite to the newest version, there is an option to check for update in NCS.

The link which is provided here downloads an older version of NCS.

Jari P

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Any feedback on the GB variant?

I have been using it for few days - it works well, feels speedy ... I think that there is a lot of bug fixes applied for music players, camera improvements, option to keep wi-fi alive when screen is out, answering by SMS, etc. ... about 4G, I can not comment as I can not see it there (settings - cellular, as the highest connection speed. however, I can see a such 4G option in access point of my operator), but I am NOT on the area now that has a single 4G network as well as I have only 3G contract by my operator ...

Tahiti Bob

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

No 4G is fine by me, I'm on Three. Any little annoyance you can mention? Something that doesn't work well or as well? I get reboots but not that many that I'm desperate to update. Still, knowing that it's there, it's hard to resist :)

Jari P

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

No 4G is fine by me, I'm on Three. Any little annoyance you can mention? Something that doesn't work well or as well? I get reboots but not that many that I'm desperate to update. Still, knowing that it's there, it's hard to resist :)

None, like I said all works well and it feels speedier now ... they, MS and Nokia, might make some fine tuning before a final update will be released here in Europe, like applied for audio, bluetooth, etc. ... well, Nokia can still improve camera sw and I am pretty sure that it will happen by the next updates ... signals are good and no problems with home's, work's or hotels' wi-fi at all ... I have been surprising how well Nokia maps works during my holiday - GPS is almost always found in few seconds without internet connection and it really follow me in a real time, so I can just look an offline map and walk, knowing all the time where I am and and what way I am going (of course, I downloaded that offline country map by Nokia maps before my holiday) ...

Hornet2012

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site

Hi, It looks like I found the answer to the "no 4G on UK roms" question
Basically any 820 or 920 handset sold sim free to the UK market is only 3G enabled, any handset sold by EE is 4G enabled for EE!
When the other operators launch their 4G networks then Nokia and the operators will supply an update to make handsets compatible.
Source Nokia Lumia 920 4G LTE Clarification - Insider Blog - Expansys.com UK Watch the video.

atambe

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site

Guys,

I have the Singapore Starhub Unlocked Variant (059Q956) which hasn't come up with the Portico update yet. I am in India and was getting a little scared to change things as the product hasn't been launched in India yet. I saw this thread (via the WPCentral article) and noticed that the India Portico update was present (although the phone still isn't launched here!). That was all the push I needed and I rooted the phone to the India variant (059R2B8). Worked like a charm. No issues. Even the Microsoft Backup worked brilliantly.

Thanks everyone on this thread. Everytime I had a issue, the solution was already posted. Brilliant stuff folks. Kudos to all and specially Nabkawe5 for posting this. There is just one thing I disagree with him on i.e. the need to stick to product code - I know he is just trying to be extra cautious but I don't think it is needed.

stueyboy

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

Just noticed the EE UK files are on the system now (not for the black one though) - happened about 5 minutes after I flashed a generic one to my P4U EE 920 !! Currently downloading the files for the white one (mines is black)

UPDATE: Seems to have gone OK. I'm currently restoring my backup data. Shame you can't recover a homescreen setup

Last edited:

Jips

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site

Just noticed the EE UK files are on the system now (not for the black one though) - happened about 5 minutes after I flashed a generic one to my P4U EE 920 !! Currently downloading the files for the white one (mines is black)

I am also waiting for the Black one to become available.

stueyboy

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

I am also waiting for the Black one to become available.

I went with the ROM for the white version. I'm not sure what the difference is. I wonder if it's just the initial theme used to match the phones colour. Anyway, all seems fine and my backup restored OK. Not tried the camera yet.

EDIT: Seems to be a bit of a bug in the home screen when moving tiles about. I noticed when I was rearranging my icons. Basically the screen is freezing and can only be resolved by shutting the screen down and switching it back on again with the power key. It's quite annoying so be aware.

Last edited:

Eki_13

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

is it confirmed that cv gb update fixes the camera?

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

In the list of "supported products" I don't get RM-821, so I am stuck at the very first step. What's the work around for that? Is it a Windows 8 thing?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaviSmalle